• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
    In effect the usual moaners were moaning that Schubert's music (& related programmimg) was being transmitted when they were listening & also when they weren't listening. Ludicrous.
    From which comments on these Boards do you reach this (as you admit yourself) "ludicrous" conclusion, Ozzy?

There have been some postings that might lead to such a conclusion, but these are mainly from those joined the Forum specifically to make one comment: the "inusual moaners", perhaps?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      There's a flaw in that reasoning. It's like assuming that because the average age of the UK population is 39, everyone is 39.
      Oh I know. It’s like the average human having 1.99999 legs. But I don’t have a median or frequency distribution & probably you don’t either.

But exactitude doesn’t matter here. If one person listens for 3 hrs a day (21 per wk), it needs 14 people to listen for less than an hour a day (just 6 hrs a wk) to maintain the Rajar reported average of one hour a day. There is bound to be a huge clustering near & either side of the 7 hr mark.

IMO 7 hrs listening to a wide variety of music, often new to the listener & without repeats does not constitute ‘saturation’ in the negative sense of oppressive & inescapable. It is sad if 7 or so hours matter so much in the context of one’s weekly lifestyle, leisure & commitments..

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      But some may be predominantly CFM listeners who pop over to R3 for the odd programme (no, they won't have felt saturated). Others may be predominantly R3 listeners who pop over to CFM for the odd programme (they may well have felt saturated).
      My point was that if you share your radio listening between two stations, you are taking advantage of choice & variety & therefore are not being ‘saturated’ by the output of a single composer.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Osborn View Post

you ... are not being ‘saturated’ by the output of a single composer.
        But you are if your favourite programmes disappear for two weekends in a row (e.g. EMS, JRR, JL etc.)

OK, not saturated - unless you listen to it all - but disadvantaged.

OG (habitual moaner - goes with the territory)

Comment

Working...
        X