• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    Is there going to be a poll to decide the question(s) in the poll?
    No, there was going to be a discussion about it. This is it (I think)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Well, logically, if I may make some suggestions, the first question needs to establish how much of it we listened to. Say a choice of 5 %ages. The second needs to establish why we listened to that amount (time un/availablity, did/didn't want to etc.). The third needs to establish what we think in general of such things, the fourth whether or not we enjoyed this one and the fifth should perhaps ask whether those who listened consider this one to have been done better/worse than the previous ones.

I hope that is helpful; I will not be offended if it isn't.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        I hope that is helpful; I will not be offended if it isn't.
        I've gone for something much simpler.

Given that different people have different amounts of time available to listen and aren't always free to change that dramatically, it seemed to me that the more important point was to establish whether they listened more or less than usual, rather than the number of hours they listened.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Simon

Given that different people have different amounts of time available to listen and aren't always free to change that dramatically, it seemed to me that the more important point was to establish whether they listened more or less than usual, rather than the number of hours they listened.

Cool by me. You can always do a supplementary one, should you feel that tbere are useful questions still to ask.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Isn't that rather doubtful reasoning? I would have thought the very opposite would happen, were that to be the case. Either that, or such a private station would not survive out there in the "real world".
            Whatever happened to JazzFM and the Classic FM Jazz station?

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

the one redeeming feature was a little exposure for some less frequently heard pieces.
              balance that with several run outs for a number of regularly aired pieces, and lots of toe curling cringewothy nonsense, and it adds up to misused air time.
              Seriously , a series of between 3 and 6 one hour shows on some music that doesn't get aired often, and we would ALL have been better off.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Ah, but I listened to Radio 3 hardly at all during The Spirit of Schubert. I'm saving it all for later. All 29.1GB of it (at 320kbps). That surely is what RW was expecting us all to do.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Ah, but I listened to Radio 3 hardly at all during The Spirit of Schubert. I'm saving it all for later. All 29.1GB of it (at 320kbps). That surely is what RW was expecting us all to do.
                  You may, if you wish, convert your future intention into the most appropriate option. Like 'I expect I shall have listened exhaustively/quite a lot more than usual to my recordings of the Schubertathon 8 1/2 days than I would normally expect to have listened during a similar length of time.'

Comment

• hackneyvi

I wonder if the How much did you listen? poll is as good a way as any of gauging views. How will the poll questions separate the issues of style and substance?

I listened to less R3 than usual but did listen to one or two programmes that I otherwise wouldn't have - like Play Schubert for me last Saturday night (they rang Giles Grandreth up, by the way, and he said that he didn't like Schubert). It wasn't as awful as it might have been (it was nowhere near as awful as it's awful name) but I only listened because it replaced Hear and Now which is a part of my weekly routine. But the breakfast programme was an awful bore. I quite like the lollipops approach at that time of day but the litter of Schubert fragments seemed like silly music for the slot.

Comment

• hackneyvi

Oh, I've just caught up.

Comment

• David-G
                        • Mar 2012

But I being one who thinks the 'thons are a bad thing and therefore didn't listen at all...
                        With respect, I find this an extraordinary view. At the end of the week of Schubert, I find that I know much about him, and rate him higher as a composer. I have heard other people's views, insights and thoughts about him which were most interesting. I have heard a vast amount of enjoyable music, including some new treasures I was previously unaware of. I have heard some fine live concerts and some wonderful artists. You will have missed out on all these delights. Of course the "white coat" and "@Franz is unwell" and all that were cringe-making, but the joys of the week made it worth putting up with these embarrassments.

Comment

• Gasteiner
                          • Nov 2010

Schubert has long been my favourite composer. My CD collection of his works was already substantial before the "Spirit of Schubert" began. My knowledge of Schubert's life, his music, the times he lived in, the musical influences upon him and his legacy to other composers, was also quite respectable. I've also been to Vienna a couple of times and have made "pilgrimages" to all the Shubert shrines, including of course his grave where I have stood in awe for a good half hour or so.

Although I therefore had relatively to little to gain from the latest R3 series, I was still strongly drawn to listen to as many of the programmes as I could. When it was inconvenient to do so, I recorded them, and have also made use of the i-player. I can't say that I learned much of any significance about Schubert's music or his life that I didn't already know. That's because there is a vast amount of information about Schubert on the internet that is quite easily available for anyone, like me, who may be sufficiently interested to explore.

The main use I made of the series was to fill a few gap in my collection of material that isn't easily available, or where the quality was low and I was able to improve upon it by acquiring a fresh, studio version taht was specially commissioned, e.g some of the lieder as performed by the excellent Graham Johnson and his various colleagues throughout the week, or the specially commissioned fragments of piano solo that would otherwise not exist. Overall, I enjoyed the 8 days and thought it was worthwhile. Likewise, I enjoyed the similar event for Mozart in January 2011, which extended over 12 days. My belief that Schubert is among the super-greats of classical music was hardly impaired by the experience of the 8 days. However, I can't say that I enjoyed every aspect of the series. Apart from the filing in of a few gaps in my collection, the bits I liked the most were hearing the tributes paid by various well-known performers and musicologists. I especially valued all the contributions of Brian Newbould, who gave some highly informative opinions and technical information about Schubert's works.

On the contrary, the various "Schubert labs" didn't inspire me, and I found them mostly quite tedious. However the bits I hated the most were the over-use of those adverts for the series by the woman with the daft voice, and even more so the "tweets" and the "Franz is unwell" reactions. I really thought that all that was quite stupid, and sometimes demeaning. I also found that there was too much variety of music in some programmes, hopping from lieder, to chamber, to snippets of orchestral music, which was quite confusing at times. I didn't think that some of the lunchtime Shubertiads were all that well performed. I also had problems with some of the presenters, but I usually do anyway with the same people so there was nothing new here. In particular I found Tom Service and S-M-P quite OTT most of the time, wittering away in competition with each saying nothing in particular just a load of hot air, especially on the last evening.

All in all, I think it went on for too long. I reckon that a 5-day event would have been sufficient to do justice to Schubert. I thought the same after the even longer 12 day marathon concerning Mozart last year.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                            • Nov 2010

I just had to use the iplayer to check where the odd playlist was absent for my survey(about 1,200 chunks and complete works were played). Sadly I caught the odd trailer etc, they were vomit inducing. If R3 are going to do this sort of thing it should be over a long weekend and a composer contemporaries (both well-known and less well-known) and those they influenced, should also be included, so we can hear a composer's music in context show its importance in musical history. 9 days non stop of one composer is lazy programming, stupid and doesn't do a composer any favours at all, but what else would you expect from RW?

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                              With respect, I find this an extraordinary view. At the end of the week of Schubert, I find that I know much about him, and rate him higher as a composer. I have heard other people's views, insights and thoughts about him which were most interesting. I have heard a vast amount of enjoyable music, including some new treasures I was previously unaware of. I have heard some fine live concerts and some wonderful artists. You will have missed out on all these delights. Of course the "white coat" and "@Franz is unwell" and all that were cringe-making, but the joys of the week made it worth putting up with these embarrassments.
                              As aeolium (#17) says, I think it is a matter of principle.

Radio3 should always be broadcasting rare works alongside more mainstream works. It should always be inviting experts for insightful talks instead of interviewing randomly chosen cook and cricketer. It should be doing this as the norm and not as a special event by forsaking the entire classical music for the sake of one composer.

My collection of CDs is very small and I depend on Radio3 to hear music of different kinds (I prefer not have to listen online). No matter how interesting some Shubert-related programmes might have been, I have been deprived of the pleasure of listening to music by any other composers for over a week.

BBC may boast that only Rado3 can mount an event of this kind. This is probably true but that is because Radio3 has the monopoly of broadcasting classical music without advertisements. Would BBC have done this if there had been another radio station in the UK that had the same function?

This should not be a banner to cover up all the problems of Radio3 we have been pointing out for years.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                                I just had to use the iplayer to check where the odd playlist was absent for my survey(about 1,200 chunks and complete works were played). Sadly I caught the odd trailer etc, they were vomit inducing. If R3 are going to do this sort of thing it should be over a long weekend and a composer contemporaries (both well-known and less well-known) and those they influenced, should also be included, so we can hear a composer's music in context show its importance in musical history. 9 days non stop of one composer is lazy programming, stupid and doesn't do a composer any favours at all, but what else would you expect from RW?
                                I would concur with suffolk wholeheartedly.
                                I caught the odd half hour here and there over the week (including that embarassing interview by S M-P with Gyles Brandreth where he admitted to not liking the composer) but it only served to confirm my life-long opinion that Schubert isn't in my top 10 of composers. And I can't believe that shovelling 8 whole days of non-stop Schubert is anything except detrimental to the composer and R3 itself. Naturally there will be those for whom Schubert is no.1 and will have been delighted by the wall-to-wall coverage but one has to ask them if they would also like 8 days of
                                A) Schoenberg, Berg and Webern
                                B) English "pastoral" (i.e. first half of 20th century) school of music - VW, Finzi, Butterworth et al
                                C) Serialist composers of the last half of the 20th century
                                etc etc...
                                Indeed some might argue that any of the three options offered above would at least amount to something bordering on intelligent programming in terms of placing musical development within a cultural and historical context but it would be just too much. One plate of foie gras is quite enough, serving it up at every meal day after day with no variation...

Others - even those totally devoted to Schubert - have mentioned the vapid self-puffery and one wonders just what kind of thought process is in place at R3 which believes that this is what the listeners want. It would appear to be a direct copy of CFM's style.

Well, there we are. I have learnt to live without R3 for a week and not unexpectedly find that I can locate a wider choice of musical experience elsewhere. I only hope that the new listeners brought in by the Schubertathon will outnumber those who have drifted off elsewhere but somehow I think that may not be the case.
                                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Working...
                                X