Should Schubert have been paired with another, and if so, who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eucalyptus44 View Post
    I largely agree with Makropulos - in common with heaps of others, it's the endless trailers and the rather silly interactive element with all those tweets and emails.
    Yes. This is the real issue, though I still think super-saturation of a composer's work does him/her nor favours.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Yes. This is the real issue, though I still think super-saturation of a composer's work does him/her nor favours.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• makropulos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Obviously a matter of taste. I sometimes do super-saturation myself - though of course it's my choice to do that, and I get to choose the composers/genres too - so it's not quite the same thing as R3's marathons. But I've greatly enjoyed my own total immersion in the likes of:
        Bach Cantatas
        Opera cycles: Janacek, Britten, Verdi, Wagner, Mozart, Strauss
        The as complete-as-I-can-get Vaughan Williams
        Ditto Elgar
        Ditto Schütz
        And even a weekend of wall-to-wall G&S (I'm sure some people can think of nothing worse...but I had a whale of a time )
        and so on...

Comment

• hackneyvi

I feel giving the music some kind of context, just a leavening of music broadly contemporary would have been fascinating - an exploration of Schubert in the period.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
            Obviously a matter of taste. I sometimes do super-saturation myself - though of course it's my choice to do that, and I get to choose the composers/genres too - so it's not quite the same thing as R3's marathons. ...
            I've got that tendency myself too.
            But I never have immersed myself exclusively into one composer / genre or whatever.
            Listening to many works of one composer, or one era can be very addictive and ofcourse very illuminating, but I always use(d) to listen to music "outside " that box too, as it were to rinse the palate .
            The Schubertiade and other R3 immersions deny the listener that chance - IMO an missed chance therefore.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

'Fraid I have found this whole bizarre event from Sunday a.m. unlistenable to. Have not listened to a minute of R3 for 5 days - almost unheard of.
              If you pair S with Beethoven, S more or less disappears without trace IMO.
              If you pair him with Schumann, Schumann disappears without trace.
              Maybe a 20th century pairing? Debussy? Duparc?

OR
              Why not a writer? Mighty readings of Goethe in translation? Or our own Keats and Shelley? Might have contextualised and educated at the same time and done away with a lot of the twaddle and verbiage the presenters have perpetrated.

For me, much of [not all] the packaging, the sheer stupid, dumbed down crap that has been served up not by Franz S but by the home team at R3 itself has done irreparable damage to what is being presented, and the late-evening Schubert request thing has been so, so embarrassingly cringeworthy, inept and badly handled. It is a huge own goal and damaged R3's reputation. They are not going to live this down.

Comment

• makropulos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                'Fraid I have found this whole bizarre event from Sunday a.m. unlistenable to. Have not listened to a minute of R3 for 5 days - almost unheard of.

Why not a writer? Mighty readings of Goethe in translation? Or our own Keats and Shelley? Might have contextualised and educated at the same time and done away with a lot of the twaddle and verbiage the presenters have perpetrated. .
                That might have been excellent idea - it could have worked very well. Maybe Goethe and other writers/poets/dramatists around Schubert's time (heaven knows, Schubert set enough of them, though I think his favourite novel was what he called "Der letzte der Mohikaner").

(As for Schumann disappearing without trace - that's never going to happen as far as I'm concerned, whoever he's paired with !)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                  (As for Schumann disappearing without trace - that's never going to happen as far as I'm concerned, whoever he's paired with !)
                  Err - shouldn't that be "whomever"?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• makropulos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Err - shouldn't that be "whomever"?
                    Oh Gawd.... apologies for the lapse

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post