X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph Vital
    • Jun 2024

Enough Schubert

Well done Radio 3! On behalf of Classic FM I would like to thank the controller and the program planners for the 9 day 'wall-to-wall schubertiad'. Let me state unequivocally that I love most of Schubert's output but that what attracted me to classical music as a young man was its 'infinite variety' and I certainly regard spending 9 days listening to the same composer's output or even worse to the endless dissecting of his life and the structure of his works with mounting irritation and the realisation that I will have to resort to that 'classical music jukebox' CFM!O tempore o mores.
  • Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Joseph Vital View Post
    Well done Radio 3! On behalf of Classic FM I would like to thank the controller and the program planners for the 9 day 'wall-to-wall schubertiad'. Let me state unequivocally that I love most of Schubert's output but that what attracted me to classical music as a young man was its 'infinite variety' and I certainly regard spending 9 days listening to the same composer's output or even worse to the endless dissecting of his life and the structure of his works with mounting irritation and the realisation that I will have to resort to that 'classical music jukebox' CFM!O tempore o mores.
    Welcome to the Forum, Joseph. When it comes to the Schubertathon (and very probably as regards other matters) you will find yourself among friends. Rather than resort to CFM, I've been giving unduly neglected CDs a play.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
      Rather than resort to CFM, I've been giving unduly neglected CDs a play.
      Same here - I've got more than enough CDs to fill the gap, and in any case CFM would be the last of last resorts.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

I cannot imagine preferring Classic FM to Schubert. I have listened to R3 much more during the current event than I usually do, but certainly not wall-to-wall. If I get fed up with it or annoyed by it and want a bit of variety, I play a CD or listen to an internet station. I normally locate myself firmly in the "O tempora! O mores!" camp, but definitely not in this case.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          ... I have listened to R3 much more during the current event than I usually do, but certainly not wall-to-wall. (...) I normally locate myself firmly in the "O tempora! O mores!" camp, but definitely not in this case.
          The same here.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

One thing that has come out of this week has been that I've listened to several Schubert recordings, but not R3 (not once!). That's not been intentional, either. Today I listened to the third symphony (CEO/Abbado) and Schwanengesang (Fisher-Dieskau/Moore), interspersed with Vagn Holmboe's 11th and two pieces by Douglas Lilburn, Aoteoroa and Landfall in Unknown Seas (with Edmund Hilary).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I cannot imagine preferring Classic FM to Schubert.
              A fair point, but Schubert isn't the issue here. It's mindnumblingly dull programmimg. This week I really would rather switch on CFM than R3 and that saddens me greatly.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

. I have listened to R3 much more during the current event than I usually do, but certainly not wall-to-wall..
                Yes I have listened to more of "real time" R3 than I usually do, but then I usually listen mostly to the late night programmes on iPlayer.

There is much great music to listen to. But there is much I would rather not hear, for example a very mediocre english language version of Sylvia just played by SMP, and as you say the endless dissection of his life and works. But in this respect, it is no different from R3's usual output. And I do find the voice intonation of some of the presenters/ artists rather "staid".

So on balance I prefer the Schubertathon to the usual output of R3, or rather I would have preferred it if they had not cut the late night programmes..
                It could have been more imaginatively produced - for example words and music type programmes could have been included.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Joseph Vital View Post
                  Cheer up - it could be Wagner (1813 - 1883) next year!!

Comment

• John Wright
                    • Mar 2007

I've had enough, see, I don't KNOW any German, so after several car journeys this week I don't think I can listen to a German song ever again.....
                    - - -

John W

Comment

• James Wonnacott
                      • Nov 2010

Through the Night, which I "listen again" to for most of my working day, has, in the past, escaped these silly binges on one composer. This time, however, it has been roped in too :-(
                      I've heard a lot of Schubert that I didn't know and which I like. For this I am grateful.
                      But its the songs, those ****** awful songs. I just can't stand any more!!!!!
                      I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

The Tchaikovsky Experience included TtN.

Comment

• James Wonnacott
                          • Nov 2010

Don't remember that- must have been on holiday!
                          I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            Cheer up - it could be Wagner (1813 - 1883) next year.
                            No, I don't think so. Wagner isn't the sort of composer that the current Radio 3 management would put on an all-day Breakfast routine. They couldn't plat the Ride of the Valkyries for hours on end, and there isn't much RW (interesting initials) that they could chop up. Furthermore, you could squeeze the whole of Wagner's output into two days quite comfortably.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              The Tchaikovsky Experience included TtN.
                              It did, but it included Igor Stravinsky.

Comment

Working...
                              X