• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JFLL
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
    jf,

You might find more detailed comment in the EMG Letter, if you find it. I was quoting from EMG's 'The Art of Record Buying - 1963' where the recordings are just given as single line entries in the tabulation.

PS Let us know if you solve the pinstripe mystery. This would seem to be the cover of ALP1901. (The style is about right for 1962, when the 'mono' and 'stereo' banners were much in evidence:

http://pds20.egloos.com/pds/201005/2...b17a366acd.jpg
    I've now solved the Great Solomon Pinstripe Mystery, courtesy of my mother's splendid teak-imitation 1960s vinyl record cabinet., which I had a nostalgic hour going through over Easter. The album was Solomon's recording of Schumann's Carnaval & Beethoven's Waldstein, on HMV's 'Great Instrumentalists' series, HQM 1077, recordings from 1952, sleeve note dated 1967. I shall dust it off (literally) and play it this evening. Here's the pic:

And here's the Schubert D 664 I was confusing it with, on HMV Concert Classics XLP 30053.

(I wonder why they apparently broke up a keyboard and used it as a garden feature? Ah, the mysteries of 60s sleeve design.)

But one sleeve I particularly like from that era is an Ace of Clubs disc of Anthony Collins's Sibelius 4 and Pohjola -- superb performances, too, if I remember rightly:

The photo sums up the symphony perfectly for me.

Comment

Working...
    X