Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    After the enthusiasm generated here for Solomon's D664 I've just been amazed to discover via an online complete discography that he also recorded D784 (Abbey Rd, 3-4/12/52), HMV ALP1400. It isn't reviewed in the 1952, '53 or '55 "Record Guides" and AFAIK it has never been reissued. This ought to be a top treasure: does anyone know it, or know any reason why it's sunk without trace?

PS Looks like ALP1400 is the disc illustrated via Don Petter's link (D664 and D784). But still odd that D784 seems to have disappeared much more totally than the D664. Why?
    There is some confusion being generated here! ALP1901 contained D664 and D784, as released on 6th April 1962. My picture came up in a search for ALP1901. (The April 1962 Gramophone doesn't illustrate the sleeve in an advertisement, as it is actually featured on the cover of the magazine, with a very similar, if not identical, photo of Solomon.)

ALP1400 was released in about October 1956, and was the last in a three volume set of Chopin Mazurkas performed by Rubinstein! So I don't think that one comes into play here.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      There is some confusion being generated here! ALP1901 contained D664 and D784, as released on 6th April 1962. My picture came up in a search for ALP1901. (The April 1962 Gramophone doesn't illustrate the sleeve in an advertisement, as it is actually featured on the cover of the magazine, with a very similar, if not identical, photo of Solomon.)

ALP1400 was released in about October 1956, and was the last in a three volume set of Chopin Mazurkas performed by Rubinstein! So I don't think that one comes into play here.
      Oh dear, thanks DP, where's the <doh> icon when I need it!

Congratulations - you seem to have found an error in the online Solomon discography by Michael H Gray which gives D784 as ALP1900 (carelessly misread by me as 1400) and D664 as ALP1901.
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        Oh dear, thanks DP, where's the <doh> icon when I need it!

Congratulations - you seem to have found an error in the online Solomon discography by Michael H Gray which gives D784 as ALP1900 (carelessly misread by me as 1400) and D664 as ALP1901.
        Don't worry, LMP, I just wanted to get things clear.

As a matter of interest, ALP1900 has Solomon playing the Beethoven Sonatas Opp. 27/1 & 110 (circa July 1962). (Alan Poulton's discographies of HMV and Columbia LPs from 1952 to 1962 [and in certain cases up to 1967] are very useful for quick reference, and save a lot of scrabbling through back numbers of the Gramophone Catalogues or the magazines themselves. )

Comment

• hackneyvi

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          I thought what I heard (only first two movements of D959) by Elisabeth Leonskaja last night (27th) in Piano Sonatas in A, D959 & B flat, D960 sounded excellent and will be retrieving them from iPlayer.
          Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          I can certainly recommend that,magical.
          Although my consciousness has been expanded a little by the Schubert week, D959 is still what I think of when I think of FS. I got to know it through the Brendel recording of around 1990. It feels to me to be the equivalent in perfection of Eroica. I hadn't even heard of Leonskaja but there were some rhythmic emphases in the first movement and, in the scherzo, comparatively pronounced pauses within a phrase which were almost unbelievably deft and 'right' that I wondered if she was playing from a different score to AB. I do think Brendel is unique in the way he really has the music speaking in the rondo when the melodies halt or disintegrate near the end but in the first and third movements EL was more joyful.

Can anyone recommend other performers/performances which show D959 in different lights?

Comment

• Roehre

The highlights of this Schubertiade for me:

-the operas
            -Symphony in D D.708a in Bryan Newbould's completion
            -the many fragments (though I seem to have missed the fragment of a symphony and an overture D.2a and D.2b respectively )
            -the social choral works, like the really funny Der Heiratsbraten (broadcast at least twice this week)

I have avoided listening to the "standard" works as there are the sonatas, string quartets, the quintets, the symphonies and the religious music, as these are played regularly anyway, and very well available in recorded formats, and the time I can spend on listening to music is too restricted.
            And as I am not really a Lieder-person (though my German is fluent ) I only listened to the ones which were surrounding the pieces in which I was interested. And heared a couple of very nice ones, too....

I really don't understand the "sticking to the war horses" only, especially as that is exactly what R3 is regularly accused of.

Comment

• rodney_h_d
              • Nov 2010

Solomon's D.664

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
              Interesting. Do you know when it was on Rodders?
              Sorry - I can't remember! I've had a quick 'browse' through some possible times on iPlayer without success and it takes ages! Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way of searching for a particular performance.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

Music3 results >BBC - Music Showcase - Last Chance - Schubert: Sonata in A major D664
                6 days ago Franz Liszt 10:30 Audio. - Last Chance - Schubert: Sonata in A major D664 . Artist Quick Find Clips & Genres Last Chance All Genres:…
                BBC - Music Showcase - Proms 2011 Selected Works - Schubert: Sonata in A major D664
                5 days ago Maurice Ravel 24:54 Audio Added 6 days ago . - Proms 2011 Selected Works - Schubert: Sonata in A major D664 . Artist Quick Find…
                BBC - Music Showcase - Classical - Schubert: Sonata in A major D664
                01:55 Video Added 1 day ago Richard Strauss 22:32 Audio Added 1 day. - Classical - Schubert: Sonata in A major D664 . Artist Quick Find Clips…
                iPlayer1 result >Radio 3 Lunchtime Concert: Lunchtime Schubertiad: 8. Francesco Piemontesi
                BBC Radio 3 / 31 March 2012
                Francesco Piemontesi performs two of Schubert's Sonatas in A major, the 'Little' Sonata D664 and one of his three late piano works composed in…
                TV & Radio Programmes2 results >Radio 3 Lunchtime Concert: Lunchtime Schubertiad: 8. Francesco Piemontesi
                BBC Radio 3 / 31 March 2012
                Francesco Piemontesi performs two of Schubert's Sonatas in A major, the 'Little' Sonata D664 and one of his three late piano works composed in…
                TV & Radio Sites1 result >BBC - Radio 3 - CD Masters - 5 February 2007
                Residentie Orkest Willem van Otterloo (conductor) CHALLENGE CC 72142 10.07am Schubert: Sonata in A, D664 Paul Badura-Skoda (piano) GENUIN GEN…

Comment

• rodney_h_d
                  • Nov 2010

Solomon's D.664

Originally posted by rodney_h_d View Post
                  Sorry - I can't remember! I've had a quick 'browse' through some possible times on iPlayer without success and it takes ages! Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way of searching for a particular performance.
                  How wrong I was! Thanks Oddball! On searching for various chunks of your posting I have managed to trace it! It was on Sarah Walker's Essential Schubert programme on Thursday 29th March which is available on iPlayer. If you 'fast forward' 43 minutes from the start you will hear the introduction. I'm listening to it now.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

The appallingly named Schubert One-Stop Shop is another way to find performances on iPlayer (and will presumably disappear around Friday-Saturday).

Comment

• rodney_h_d
                      • Nov 2010

The appallingly named Schubert One-Stop Shop is another way to find performances on iPlayer (and will presumably disappear around Friday-Saturday).
                      You may have found an easier way - I had looked at the One-Stop Shop which has plenty of information but couldn't see any search/browse function. I eventually went to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/features/programmes/ and browsed the relevant programmes - clicking on 'music played' to give an approximate time to find a performance on iPlayer.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

In the One-stop shop there are groups of performances - eg the Graham Johnson Collection. Clicking on these leads to links to individual performances.

Comment

• rodney_h_d
                          • Nov 2010

In the One-stop shop there are groups of performances - eg the Graham Johnson Collection. Clicking on these leads to links to individual performances.
                          Yes, but I think those groups only cover a limited number of the broadcasts. I don't think there's any way I could have found Solomon's performance of Schubert's D.664 Sonata from that site.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by rodney_h_d View Post
                            Yes, but I think those groups only cover a limited number of the broadcasts. I don't think there's any way I could have found Solomon's performance of Schubert's D.664 Sonata from that site.
                            And for me it's impossible to find the symphony fragment D.2a, or the contemporary overture-fragment D.2b

Comment

• rodney_h_d
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                              And for me it's impossible to find the symphony fragment D.2a, or the contemporary overture-fragment D.2b
                              Roehre - I couldn't resist the challenge and think I've found what you are after! "Afternoon on 3" on Wednesday 28th from 2:00pm to 3:30pm included the following:

Franz Schubert — Symphony no. 5 in B flat major D.485
                              Conductor: Bruno WEIL Performer: The Classical Band

Franz Schubert — Symphony no. 6 in C major D.589
                              Conductor: Claudio ABBADO Performer: Chamber Orchestra Of Europe

Franz Schubert — D.002A Overture [fragment] (D.2a) in D major
                              Franz Schubert — D.485 Symphony no. 5 (D.485) in B flat major [complete]
                              Franz Schubert — D.002B Symphony [fragment] (D.2B) in D major
                              Franz Schubert — D.002G Overture in D
                              Franz Schubert — D.071C Fragment eines Orchesterstucks in D
                              Franz Schubert — D.589 Symphony no. 6 (D.589) in C major
                              Symphonien Nos. 5 & 6 (The Chamber Orchestra of Europe feat. conductor: Claudio, Deutsche Grammophon, 005
                              Franz Schubert — D.094a Fragment eines Orchesterstucks in B

That's copied from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dtvv3#segments and there appears to be some duplication in the way the symphonies and performers are listed.

You will have to work out the approximate timings and as you will see from that link, in between the 5th and 6th Symphonies it says "...we'll pick up the pieces in the Schubert Lab with Tom Service as he surveys some Schubert fragments".
                              Last edited by rodney_h_d; 02-04-12, 00:07.

Comment

• Roehre

Thanks Rodney

Comment

Working...
                                X