X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hackneyvi
    • Jun 2024

Highlights of Schubert on 3

Could we recommend particular highlights of Schubert on 3, particularly whilst they're still available on the iPlayer? Since this is an opportunity to acquaint myself with more of FS, I'd be glad to have pointers of any particular treats - pieces, interpreters, documentaries (are there any?). I'm out of the house from 8 am to 6 pm so the daytime offerings are impossible to keep up with.

I've heard relatively little but did enjoy Imogen Cooper's concert on Friday evening.

Ta.
  • Roehre

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post
    Could we recommend particular highlights of Schubert on 3, particularly whilst they're still available on the iPlayer? Since this is an opportunity to acquaint myself with more of FS, I'd be glad to have pointers of any particular treats - pieces, interpreters, documentaries (are there any?). I'm out of the house from 8 am to 6 pm so the daytime offerings are impossible to keep up with.

I've heard relatively little but did enjoy Imogen Cooper's concert on Friday evening.

Ta.
    THE works which IMO are among the absolute highlights are the operas as broadcast on TtN, especially are to be mentioned the two which are not (commercially) available at the moment: Des Teufels Lustschloss (very nice Freischutz/euryanthe like Weberian piece) or Adrast.
    Fernando , Claudine von Villafranca and Sakontala are worth to be heard as well.
    These works immediately show how really individual Schubertian his music from the beginning is.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      THE works which IMO are among the absolute highlights are the operas as broadcast on TtN, especially are to be mentioned the two which are not (commercially) available at the moment: Des Teufels Lustschloss (very nice Freischutz/euryanthe like Weberian piece) or Adrast.
      Fernando , Claudine von Villafranca and Sakontala are worth to be heard as well.
      These works immediately show how really individual Schubertian his music from the beginning is.

... and, as it's TtN, there's no wittering. AND, it's unlikely that the works will be re-broadcast very often. Win, as they say, win!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

... and, as it's TtN, there's no wittering. AND, it's unlikely that the works will be re-broadcast very often. Win, as they say, win!

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

I thought what I heard (only first two movements of D959) by Elisabeth Leonskaja last night (27th) in Piano Sonatas in A, D959 & B flat, D960 sounded excellent and will be retrieving them from iPlayer.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Performances by Fritz Wünderlich and Elly Ameling
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              I thought what I heard (only first two movements of D959) by Elisabeth Leonskaja last night (27th) in Piano Sonatas in A, D959 & B flat, D960 sounded excellent and will be retrieving them from iPlayer.
              I can certainly recommend that,magical.

Comment

• Vile Consort
                • Nov 2010

I am reminded of the organist who, after giving the opening recital on an English cathedral organ following its incredibly expensive rebuild, was asked by the dean what feature of the instrument he liked best. "The off switch" was his reply.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
                  I am reminded of the organist who, after giving the opening recital on an English cathedral organ following its incredibly expensive rebuild, was asked by the dean what feature of the instrument he liked best. "The off switch" was his reply.

Comment

• David-G
                    • Mar 2012

I very much enjoyed the lunchtime concert today, which I heard live at Finchcocks. Melvyn Tan played two newly restored fortepianos, a Johann Fritz of 1815 and a Conrad Graf of 1826 (both Viennese). The Graf is a specially beautiful instrument. The programme included four Metastasio settings beautifully and dramatically sung by Clara Mouriz. Of course on the iPlayer you won't experience the gardens in the lovely March summer sunshine.

Comment

• David-G
                      • Mar 2012

You should definitely try to catch "Die Zauberharfe" which was broadcast on last night’s TTN. The Radio Times describes this as Schubert’s tenth opera, though Dent describes it as incidental music to the play. It proved to be an ultra-Romantic Weberish piece, with a lot of spoken declamation underpinned with music (horn in particular). Much of it is like an extended "Wolf’s Glen" scene (Der Freischutz). It is amazing that this piece should be the source of our familiar Rosamunde overture, which seems so much lighter in mood. But the overture definitely belongs here, because we hear some of the music again later in the work. It is the discovery of this sort of thing that is one of the great delights of this "Schubert Fest".

Dent describes the play "Die Zauberharfe" as wildly Romantic. "There are long scenes in the enchanted forest, in which Melinde and Sutur address violent remarks to each other to the accompaniment of music that is quite as Romantic as anything in the operas of Weber. Schubert in fact knew all Weber’s technical tricks for creating Romantic effects, and could write Weberish music that from a purely musical point of view was far better than anything of Weber’s own." (Dent – The Rise of Romantic Opera).

Comment

• Bumfluff
                        • Nov 2011

Well I don't know much about Weber, but "Die Zauberharfe" sounded Wagnerian to me. I thought I was listening to something rewritten or re-orchestrated by Liszt or something. It was a nice surprise.

Comment

• rodney_h_d
                          • Nov 2010

One performance I heard and want to hear again is that by Solomon of the Sonata in A, D.664 which I don't know but thought was a wonderful example of a virtuoso at his simple best. Apparently the coupling on Testament of LvanB's Op.111 isn't bad either!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by rodney_h_d View Post
                            One performance I heard and want to hear again is that by Solomon of the Sonata in A, D.664 which I don't know but thought was a wonderful example of a virtuoso at his simple best. Apparently the coupling on Testament of LvanB's Op.111 isn't bad either!
                            Interesting. Do you know when it was on Rodders?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

There seem to be remarkably few highlights after some 8 days of solid Schubert. Or are there so many that Schubertathonophiles are keeping their powder dry or still working on their short lists?

Comment

Working...
                              X