X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Thielemann Beethoven Cycle on Sky

Just checking through next week's Radio Times, I have spotted that starting next Tuesday at 8pm with the 1st Symphony, Sky Arts 2 are showing a full cycle of Beethoven Symphonies with Thielemann and the VPO. The first symphony is preceded at 7pm, by the first part of a ten part documentary series on LVB, and is followed by a performance of the Missa Solemnis, with John Nelson conducting the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.

I am aware that I will probably be accused of advertising for The Evil Empire by mentioning this, but I do want to flag it up for those who might wish to watch.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • Parry1912
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for the heads up.
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Mahlerei

A word of warning; these are very idiosyncratic performances.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

What audio codec does Sky Arts use on HD? I ask since for two channel stereo, the Freeview HD channels appear only to be offering 128kbps HE-AAC, which is hardly an improvement on the 256kbps mp2 used for standard definition with the BBC channels.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
          A word of warning; these are very idiosyncratic performances.
          A masterpiece of understatement IMHO, Mahlerei

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Everyone's got it in for Thielemann!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Given this set is only broadcast on Sky, I am surprised you have heard it AmDram; or have you finally seen sense and taken out a suscription?

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                Given this set is only broadcast on Sky, I am surprised you have heard it AmDram; or have you finally seen sense and taken out a suscription[sic]?
                It's been available, and heavily promoted, on DVD and Blu-ray for quite some time. Of course, you don't get the 'advantage' of the data compression used by Sky when you watch/listen via Blu-ray or even DVD.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  What audio codec does Sky Arts use on HD? I ask since for two channel stereo, the Freeview HD channels appear only to be offering 128kbps HE-AAC, which is hardly an improvement on the 256kbps mp2 used for standard definition with the BBC channels.
                  I'm afraid that is rather too technical for me- but I have got a 5.1 surround set up on the way as my 50th Birthday present!! So not only will I be able to listen to Sky Arts in that format, but they are also broadcasting the Formula One races in 5.1, so I will have Grand Prix cars racing around the living room!!

I am just trying to decide when to warn the neighbours....
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Given this set is only broadcast on Sky, I am surprised you have heard it AmDram; or have you finally seen sense and taken out a suscription?
                    Being of independent mind and spirit, I searched youtube ages ago for some examples, Panyan, and drew my own conclusions.

I saw sense about Mr Murdoch's enterprises many years ago and nothing has changed my mind

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                      I am just trying to decide when to warn the neighbours....
                      Oh I'm sure your neighbours must be ready for just about anything, Mr Pee

Comment

• Mahlerei

I don't have anything against Thielemann, I just don't care for his Beethoven. The audiences in Vienna seem to adore him

Comment

• Panjandrum

I seem to remember that the Thielemann came in for a mixed review on CD Review recently. I trust that some forum members are not passing off the opinions expressed in this programme as their own. If they are retailing second hand opinions, they should come clean about it. For an alternative POV, and in the interests of balance, this review appears considered and disinterested; it has certainly whetted my appetite.

Comment

• amateur51

I seem to remember that the Thielemann came in for a mixed review on CD Review recently. I trust that some forum members are not passing off the opinions expressed in this programme as their own. If they are retailing second hand opinions, they should come clean about it. For an alternative POV, and in the interests of balance, this review appears considered and disinterested; it has certainly whetted my appetite.
                            Well I've told you about how I have come to my opinion, Panyan you old stirrer

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

Oh I'm sure your neighbours must be ready for just about anything, Mr Pee
                              Actually, I'm not that bothered whether I upset them or not. They're very inconsiderate; why, just the other night, they were hammering on my door at 3:30am. Luckily, I was still up, practicing the bagpipes. I'm nearly at Grade 4.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X