Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

I wonder what the "list" would be if one didn't conflate personal taste with quality ?

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      I wonder what the "list" would be if one didn't conflate personal taste with quality ?
      You have a very good point, though it might be risky to take a relativist view throughout and suggest that all music is equally good or bad, being distinguished only by individual taste. I suspect most people (at least, those experienced in 'classical' music) can sense that some pieces show signs of tiredness, of routine, of 'run-of -the-mill', of 'going through the motions', or whatever. They were often written in a hurry, for a specific occasion. Many of the pieces named fall into this category (Wellington's Victory, for instance). I think there are also pieces where the composer has been just a bit too earnest (Reformation Symphony perhaps), or maybe didn't appreciate his own limitations (not common with 'good' composers, of course).

A good example might be Elgar's Sea Pictures. This was a commission for the Norwich Festival of 1899, and Elgar fitted its composition around the preparations for the first performance of the Enigma (June 99), the subsequent revision of the end of that work (for a performance in September), as well as moving house. There are five songs, of which 1, 2 and 4 are top-drawer Elgar. The last song is OK, and very Elgarian, but the themes are not quite as inspired. And song 3 (Sabbath Morning at Sea) starts and ends promisingly, but flags terribly in between - it just seems pious Victorian 'religious' writing. Of course the whole is wonderfully scored, but it does betray its hurried birth.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Meanwhile, back in the land of straightforward answers: I've always thought that Tchaikowsky's 3rd Symphony has been justly neglected, and I don't rate the 'Manfred' that highly, either. Both make far too much of a limited range of musical ideas.

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

Advice to anyone else who plans to start a thread like this one:

Simply light the blue touch paper and stand well clear.

And don't assume that folk will read and/or understand the premise.

Thanks to Roehre for his valiant attempt to clarify this one.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
            A good example might be Elgar's Sea Pictures. This was a commission for the Norwich Festival of 1899, and Elgar fitted its composition around the preparations for the first performance of the Enigma (June 99), the subsequent revision of the end of that work (for a performance in September), as well as moving house. There are five songs, of which 1, 2 and 4 are top-drawer Elgar. The last song is OK, and very Elgarian, but the themes are not quite as inspired. And song 3 (Sabbath Morning at Sea) starts and ends promisingly, but flags terribly in between - it just seems pious Victorian 'religious' writing. Of course the whole is wonderfully scored, but it does betray its hurried birth.
            And at the end of the day it is the interpretation that delivers it. For my ears most recordings of Sea Pictures the soloist displays too much vibrato, or am I wrong and it is implicit in Elgar's writing.

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              And at the end of the day it is the interpretation that delivers it. For my ears most recordings of Sea Pictures the soloist displays too much vibrato, or am I wrong and it is implicit in Elgar's writing.
              Quite agree. I don't think the vibrato is especially implicit, although it's probably nearer to what Elgar had in mind. One thing about Sea Pictures is that it's stated to be for contralto (Clara Butt gave the premiere, dressed as a mermaid) but it lies more comfortably for mezzo-soprano. Perhaps this means that many contraltos strain a little, and that has an effect on vibrato. But I'm no singer.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                (Clara Butt gave the premiere, dressed as a mermaid)

Comment

• Parry1912
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  And why does my beloved Mendelssohn get such a raw deal on here?, his music seems to be getting slated on nearly every thread.
                  I actually think that Mendelssohn takes quite a lot of listening to before one fully appreciates how great he was. Add to that that some of his more popular works (Violin Concerto and 'Italian' Symphony, for example) seem superficially quite light and people don't always give him a chance. If they did then they would see the depth behind the surface charm and elegance.
                  Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                    Meanwhile, back in the land of straightforward answers:
                    By which I understand to mean .......... music wot I don't like
                    which is not the same as , music that isn't "good" by a "good" composer

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                      I actually think that Mendelssohn takes quite a lot of listening to before one fully appreciates how great he was. Add to that that some of his more popular works (Violin Concerto and 'Italian' Symphony, for example) seem superficially quite light and people don't always give him a chance. If they did then they would see the depth behind the surface charm and elegance.
                      IMO there is a lot of truth in this observation.
                      As composer Mendelssohn (with Schubert for that matter, btw) was a real prodigy in that sense that his compositions nearly from the start ARE unmistakingly Mendelssohn (something which cannot be said of Mozart's early works I'm afraid).

The relatively lighthearted works -as e.g. the Misummernightdream overture- and sunny ones like the octet (with an example of one of those remarkable Mendelsohnian scherzos) or the much later violin concerto stick to minds as the "Real" Mendelssohn.
                      But his string quartets show a digesting of Beethoven's late quartets (Beethoven op.127 influenced Mendelssohn's op.12 considerably) and the development of a much more mature and in depth style in e.g. the string quartet (-pieces) opp. 80 and especially op.81.
                      There are many other dramatic works and moments in his output - but many completely unknown to a wider public.
                      I do think as well, that the orchestral output of his is more "homogenous" in its atmospheres and moods than the IMO much more widely ranged chamber music.

As far as the Reformation-symphony is concerned, I am afraid that IMO in this form it is one of Mendelssohn's weaker works. But here we have to keep in mind, that he himself did not publish the work, as his self-criticism told him it needed a severe revision - which his very untimely death prevented.
                      Last edited by Guest; 23-01-12, 15:21.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                        Couldn't agree more. Just listen to the slow movemnt of the 2nd String Quintet- there's plenty of depth there.
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                          Couldn't agree more. Just listen to the slow movemnt of the 2nd String Quintet- there's plenty of depth there.

Beware Mr Pee! - you're in grave danger of breaking free from your carefully nurtured reputation

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Beware Mr Pee! - you're in grave danger of breaking free from your carefully nurtured reputation
                            Sorry about that- don't know what came over me.

I can only think I was temporarily discombobulated after watching Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open.....
                            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                              Sorry about that- don't know what came over me.

I can only think I was temporarily discombobulated after watching Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open.....
                              That's the one I meant

Comment

• Pabmusic
                                • May 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Just to complete the Clara Butt picture: she was 6' 2" tall!

Comment

Working...
                                X