X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
    I think my problem with the Chopin concertos is that they seem such routine stuff, and that's baffling when the solo piano works are so great.
    I've probably missed a trick somewhere, but somehow Chopin's solo works have never done it for me.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Have you tried Vladimir Sofronitsky in Chopin? Hard to find, admittedly, mostly on Denon or Vista Vera. Extraordinarily intense, poetic take on Chopin - the pianism is flawless but never showing off its virtuosity. If you find any, just pitch in to one of the big anthologies or live concerts. The 1949 recitals deserve their legendary status.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        I've probably missed a trick somewhere, but somehow Chopin's solo works have never done it for me.
        I love all Chopin's solo piano music (as well as the much maligned concertos) but the genres in which he composed do fall into different emotional worlds. There are the waltzes and mazurkas which originate in the salon, which for many people is Chopin. There is also the darker, more Romantic side of Chopin which the ballades, scherzi, fantasy and nocturnes explore. If you are unfamiliar with these compositions then I would strongly advise making their acquaintance in order to get a full appreciation of his art.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
          Chopin's solo piano works in the hands of say Peter Katin or Artur Rubinstein are absolute bliss. They sound like the ideal music for the piano.

Sadly, the concertos are worse than waffle (Ferretfancy is too kind). No 1 opens orchestrally as if we will hear grand robust stuff (Weber and Auber spring to mind as contemporaries: don't mention LvB!) but as soon as the piano comes in the piece goes into terminal decline. No 2 never even gets that far, falling flat at the beginning.
          I agree Chris, listen to Peter Katin's Ballade no 4 and almost anything played by Artur. Sheer bliss.
          IMO Chopin just wasn't happy writing for full orchestra and it shows.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Oh dear I think both PCs are quite wonderful........but what do I know ??

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Don't worry Anton! The one sensible thing that Polonius said was " Take no man's censure, but reserve thy judgement " Of course, we are all judges here!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                Don't worry Anton! The one sensible thing that Polonius said was " Take no man's censure, but reserve thy judgement " Of course, we are all judges here!
                Didn't he in fact say "Take each (sic) man's censure, but reserve thy judgment"? IOW, listen to others' criticisms, but keep your own counsel (particulary in criticism of others). Given Shakespeare portrays Polonius as a fatuous old windbag, I'm not sure we are expected to heed his advice.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-02-12, 18:07.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Fatuous windbag sounds a fair description of moi..........

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                    Didn't he in fact say "Take each (sic) man's censure, but reserve thy judgment"? IOW, listen to others' criticisms, but keep your own counsel (particulary in criticism of others). Given Shakespeare portrays Polonius as a fatuous old windbag, I'm not sure we are expected to heed his advice.
                    Panjandrum
                    The quote always used to printed in the programme summary for the Royal Festival Hall, and I found it in that memory bank, so I'm sure you are correct. You confirm my statement that we are all judges here, and must not allow our vigilance to slip.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

I never seek them out, but always enjoy them far more than I expect to, encountered spontaneously, or as part one of a concert. Lovely moment at the end of Polanski's The Pianist, when Spielman (Adrien Brody) plays the Grande Polonaise Brillante Op.22 in the orchestral version.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        I never seek them out, but always enjoy them far more than I expect to, encountered spontaneously, or as part one of a concert.
                        Me, too. It's as if I've heard the "not very good pieces" line trotted out so frequently about the Chopin Concerti that it's sunk into my subconscious.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Schönberg: 3 Satires opus 28 is a work which he shouldn't have published (for its toe-cringing texts for a start)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                            Schönberg: 3 Satires opus 28 is a work which he shouldn't have published (for its toe-cringing texts for a start)
                            I agree that the texts show the snide, humourless aspect of AS's personality, but the pieces themselves are superb!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              I agree that the texts show the snide, humourless aspect of AS's personality, but the pieces themselves are superb!
                              But he was right about "Le petit Modernski, just like Papa Bach"!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Fatuous windbag sounds a fair description of moi..........
                                I beg to differ and indeed forcefully assert the contrary, anton!
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X