• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Piped music

I was in a school yesterday with a large flat-screen TV emitting a barrage of pop music. In another school it's much worse. The TVs are distributed around the school to such an extent that is really difficult to get away from it. What hope is there to persuade younger people to listen to music, when they have to spend so much time trying to filter it out? I've often considered joining Pipe-down, but this has finally convinced me of the need to support that organisation.
  • James Wonnacott
    • Nov 2010

I agree whole-heartedly and I too have often considered Pipe-down.
    As with so many things, if people don't speak up they'll think they've got it right.
    I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

As with so many things, if people don't speak up they'll think they've got it right.
      The attitude in M & S when they introduced piped music in th Scarborough store was "No-one else has complained; most of our customers say they like it." The implication is that they have actually done a thorough survey, which invariably they haven't. Also, if they do such surveys, it does not take the views of those who have walked out of the store to avoid the noise.

Comment

• James Wonnacott
        • Nov 2010

I can think of at least four, otherwise good, pubs I no longer frequent because of the "music".
        I registered my feelings with the management and was told, in 3 cases, "it's company policy" and in the other (a free house) the landlord told me that if I didn't like it I should go elsewhere.
        A bit like the BBC really
        I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Regarding music in pubs, their "live music" nights don't just affect customers, but everyone living within 200 yards of the establishments.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Lovely Dame Gillian Weir story from Skellers on Breakfast this morning .....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Lovely Dame Gillian Weir story from Skellers on Breakfast this morning .....
              Could you give a précis, svp, anton, for those of us who leave the fast intact till later in the day....
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Could you give a précis, svp, anton, for those of us who leave the fast intact till later in the day....
                Skellers described BBC staff chasing down Portland Place to persuade Dame Gillian to come back in to Broadcasting House, she having left because of the Radio 2 which was being piped in to the BBC waiting room...

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  Skellers described BBC staff chasing down Portland Place to persuade Dame Gillian to come back in to Broadcasting House, she having left because of the Radio 2 which was being piped in to the BBC waiting room...
                  Cheers vints much more eloquently than I could have managed ....

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

[Sorry Alpie - attempt to add emoticon to thread failed but adds it only to your thread title]

Indeed Dame Gillian is a prominent member of Pipedown, and of FoR3, Radio 3 being something on which we have corresponded.

Pipedown - many members also join FoR3 so this is an opportunity for us to repay them for their support.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Ha! I remember the first meeting we had with Roger Wright (David Samuels and me). I can't remember what was coming out of the loudspeaker but we fiddled about and changed it to Radio 3 (also piped music, but at least it made our waiting a bit more tolerable).
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                        • Jan 2014

A delight to hear him. If Martin Handley isn't rostered, he's a very acceptable alternative...... He doesn't sound like someone who's been told "Its only Sunday morning, here's a script with what to say, off you go.....". In my view Sunday morning is a prime opportunity for Radio 3, I'm afraid I mostly turn off the morning Service, worthy as they are. I go to enough, live.....

Dame Gillian came to Broadcasting House, but found Radio 2 being piped into reception (presumably some event/promotion?) Skellers said she had to be caught up as she fled along Regent Street and was only persuaded to come into BH when they managed to get R2 turned off "which was a bit of a technical challenge...." Its at the very end of the programme - 1:59:xx.

He also got a couple of inflections in (I listened after 8:10). "... we've also put a link on twitter, just so you know....." I'd better not say more, the Corporate compliance dept are probably already on to him, poor fellow, as someone who shows signs of independent thought.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anastasius
                            • Mar 2015

Piped music? Oh, you must mean Breakfast and Essential Classics ! Instantly forgettable wallpaper muzak.
                            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Ha! I remember the first meeting we had with Roger Wright (David Samuels and me). I can't remember what was coming out of the loudspeaker but we fiddled about and changed it to Radio 3 (also piped music, but at least it made our waiting a bit more tolerable).
                              Ah, a fellow terrorist.

Even John Lewis is becoming infected. The TV and audio depart always has some music for demonstration purposes, but on Friday, when one of the staff had switched on some audio equipment to play some loud thump-thump music with a very impressive sub-woofer, Frau A tried to turn it down, but turned it off by mistake. We smiled and walked away. 15 minutes later, it was on again, so I made no pretence and turned it off in full view of the startled staff who were chatting to one another. I then made my way to Customer Services to inform them of what was going on.

Watch this space.

Comment

Working...
                              X