X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

It's the link, on that page, to "Discovering Music" that is broken, A2. However, I note that Gerard McBurney provided the programme notes for the re-issue of the Hallé Orchestra/Stanislaw Skrowaczewski recordings of the 5th symphony (Fanning provided those for the 10th, I think). I can't find a link to the text, but the discs can be found at a sensible price here.

[I should add that I do not know either of these recordings, and opinions on them range from considerable enthusiasm to outright dismissal. It's McBurney's notes which are the main attraction for me.]
    Last edited by Bryn; 07-02-12, 12:46.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Auferstehen2 View Post
      Just finished my first hearing of the 5th Symphony. That means I'm now an expert on Shostakovich and that I know what I'm talking about.

Extraordinary, simply extraordinary. The irony of that climax at the end is of course lost on me presently, but I don't care. I love it!

Mario
      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 07-02-12, 13:08.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        Credit to you for your honesty, AH. You were in for some stick there, you know! I was, actually, gobsmacked to read what you wrote, as though we don't always (even often) agree I never think of you as less than sincere.
        Well, it was quite unbelievably daft, as I'm sure you realise - and the "stick" is as much from me as from anyone else. I still "stick" to my remark that the Fourth is the finest of them all and I'd also value the Sixth, Eighth, Tenth and Thirteenth above no. 5, but the immense popularity of no. 5 is no reason to cast any aspersions on it and it doesn't deserve any; the finale's coda only convinces me fully when it's taken very briskly to avoid giving too much of an impression of pomp and circumstance (though not necessarily to give away the opposite impression), but Shostakovich's intentions here can be taken several ways. Quite what happened in his other D minor symphony I don't know, unless he just felt somewhat cowed by the sheer power of his Fourth that had just received its gravedly delayed première.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          I wouldn't worry, Mario, there's a lot of it about!

Not all of it as perverse as branding the 5th as DSCH's weakest, though!!
          But who on earth or elsewhere would do anything quite so absurd as that?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            But who on earth or elsewhere would do anything quite so absurd as that?

No one in their right mind or at least only someone half-asleep, judging by your #170 which I've just seen!! The perils of late-night posting... There seems to have been some tactical deletion but the quote system leaves one's infelicities hanging in the ether...
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              It's the link, on that page, to "Discovering Music" that is broken, A2. However, I note that Gerard McBurney provided the programme notes for the re-issue of the Hallé Orchestra/Stanislaw Skrowaczewski recordings of the 5th symphony (Fanning provided those for the 10th, I think). I can't find a link to the text, but the discs can be found at a sensible price here.

[I should add that I do not know either of these recordings, and opinions on them range from considerable enthusiasm to outright dismissal. It's McBurney's notes which are the main attraction for me.]
              They are very good performances, but looking on Amazon, I am surprised by their limited availability/cost! Indeed Skrow's output seems to be gaining cult status if the prices of some of his Bruckner Syms are any guide.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Its quite significant that he composed No.12 in 1961. It's the 44th anniversary of the Russian Revolution!

3VS

(I'll get me coat.)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  They are very good performances, but looking on Amazon, I am surprised by their limited availability/cost! Indeed Skrow's output seems to be gaining cult status if the prices of some of his Bruckner Syms are any guide.
                  Always good to look elsewhere though?
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

I'm struggling to find Yevtushenko's text to The Execution of Stepan Razin which is included on the Kondrashin set of the Shostakovich symphonies. I've trawled the web but can't seem to find it. Must be there somewhere! Can anyone give me a link?
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      I'm struggling to find Yevtushenko's text to The Execution of Stepan Razin which is included on the Kondrashin set of the Shostakovich symphonies. I've trawled the web but can't seem to find it. Must be there somewhere! Can anyone give me a link?
                      Read The Execution Of Stenka Razin poem by Yevgeny Yevtushenko written. The Execution Of Stenka Razin poem is from Yevgeny Yevtushenko poems. The Execution Of Stenka Razin poem summary, analysis and comments.

EDIT: the link doesn't seem to work. I found it on "poemhunter.com." IGNORE THIS EDIT!*

Hope this is useful - I notice it's not quite the same title "Stepan" becomes "Stenka": hopefully just a transliteration thing?

Best Wishes.

* = EDITofEDIT: Link works now!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-e...-stenka-razin/

EDIT: the link doesn't seem to work. I found it on "poemhunter.com." IGNORE THIS EDIT!*

Hope this is useful - I notice it's not quite the same title "Stepan" becomes "Stenka": hopefully just a transliteration thing?

Best Wishes.

* = EDITofEDIT: Link works now!
                        Many thanks, FHG. Ideally, I'd like the Russian text in transliteration as well but your link gives the gist of what is being sung. Incidentally, I know the authorities did all they could to sabotage the first performance but how on earth did YY and DSCH get away with this?
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                        X