X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Leningrad Symphony written 1941, first performed 1942 (in USSR, GB and USA, the latter on an NBC broadcast conducted by Toscanini)
    Concerto for Orchestra written and premiered 1943 (in USA where BB was living - well, "dying" to be precise - so heard Toscanini broadcast[?])
    But aren't both works absolute crackers, whether one was taking the proverbial out of the other doesn't really matter I wouldn't be without either!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Maybe this should be posted somwhere else. Last night's RLPO concert not only had a great Shost 7 but the Qigang Chen: Enchantements Oubliés (UK Premiere) sounded to me like Delius/Ravel fusion with a Chinese accent. I found it really pleasant and melodic, unlike the minimalist Chairman's dances that preceded it. When does the tune start?

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Maybe this should be posted somwhere else. Last night's RLPO concert not only had a great Shost 7 but the Qigang Chen: Enchantements Oubliés (UK Premiere) sounded to me like Delius/Ravel fusion with a Chinese accent. I found it really pleasant and melodic, unlike the minimalist Chairman's dances that preceded it. When does the tune start?
        Do tell. In what way is "The Chairman Dances" minimalist?

Comment

• gedsmk
          • Dec 2010

Listening to the Shostakovich 7th from the RLPO on 320aac ~(?) or thereabouts my impression was of heartfelt determination and power. there were a few drops in ensemble here and there but it was impressive. Overall I would dare to claim that there was a better performance in November by Nelsons and the CBSO. I'd be happy to buy both CDs when they come out.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Do tell. In what way is "The Chairman Dances" minimalist?
            Boring, monotonous, really goes nowhere - it just is - you like it?
            Anyway I'd be more interested in views of the Qigang Chen, which in comparison is a breath of fresh air.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

I do - I think it has lightness & sprightliness & conveys what happens at that point in the opera, which I've not been fortunate enough to see.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Anyway I'd be more interested in views of the Qigang Chen, which in comparison is a breath of fresh air.
                So, do tell. In what way is The Chairman Dances minimalist? The thing is, whether one finds the piece boring, monotonous and really going nowhere or not, it simply does not fall within the minimalist camp. Only a very few early works by Adams fit the minimalist category, and The Chairman Dances is not one of them; or perhaps you consider the final movement of Schubert's 9th (or the first movement of Shostakovich's 7th) a minimalist classic?

I missed much of the broadcast, so will be listening via the iPlayer later today, after which I might have a view to offer re. the Qigang Chen work.

Comment

• Auferstehen2

Good to hear that the 7th was given a worthy performance. Haven't had a chance to hear it yet, but a busy football weekend means that it will have to wait till Monday, when I will still have a few days left on iPlayer.

Mario

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    So, do tell. In what way is The Chairman Dances minimalist? The thing is, whether one finds the piece boring, monotonous and really going nowhere or not, it simply does not fall within the minimalist camp. Only a very few early works by Adams fit the minimalist category, and The Chairman Dances is not one of them; or perhaps you consider the final movement of Schubert's 9th (or the first movement of Shostakovich's 7th) a minimalist classic?

I missed much of the broadcast, so will be listening via the iPlayer later today, after which I might have a view to offer re. the Qigang Chen work.
                    Maybe one or two more notes so perhaps only semi-minimalist then, but not much in the way of tunes, whatever the definition I still don't like it, you can define Schubert 9 finale whatever you wish or for that matter Shostakovich 7, I like them both!!! I don't really like compartmentalising music anyway, good, bad, stuff I like, stuff I don't, stuff I can take or leave - probably as good categories as any!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

I don't really like compartmentalising music anyway, good, bad, stuff I like, stuff I don't, stuff I can take or leave - probably as good categories as any!
                      So why did you put the 'TCD' into a 'minimalist' compartment (which it doesn't belong in anyway)? Sounds like you were floundering around trying to find a justification for not liking it

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Mario,
                        you might want to check Friday's (20th Jan) Afternoon on 3 as well - 2.00pm Debussy La Mer, then 2.20pm Shostakovich Symphony No. 8, London Symphony Orchestra, Valery Gergiev (conductor)

Comment

• Auferstehen2

Gosh, Flosshilde, you're really taking good care of me - thanks!

This is an awful lot of new music I'm having to swallow pretty sharpish.

However, at the risk of sounding close-minded (an attribute I rather dislike), how's VG on DSCH? Most of what I've heard him do (Mahler, Tchaikovsky) sounded pretty idiosyncratic to me.

I only ask because I think a new listener (like wot I am) may be put off a work by a bland rendition of it first time round.

Mario

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Auferstehen2 View Post

However, at the risk of sounding close-minded (an attribute I rather dislike), how's VG on DSCH? Most of what I've heard him do (Mahler, Tchaikovsky) sounded pretty idiosyncratic to me.

I only ask because I think a new listener (like wot I am) may be put off a work by a bland rendition of it first time round.

Mario
                            Oh, it's not bland! I think that Gergiev can often 'play safe' in the studio, whereas I frequently find his live Shostakovich thrilling. I heard yesterday's No.8 and it was extremely good. His performance of No.4 at the Proms some years ago, with his Mariinsky Orchestra (still under their Kirov title, I think) was outstanding, coruscating, devastating in its awesomeness.

I must catch up with the Petrenko 7 from the other night.
                            Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                              I must catch up with the Petrenko 7 from the other night.
                              At over 80 minutes it's quite the slowest performance I have ever heard! I suspect Naxos will be telling him to speed up a bit for the recording.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                So why did you put the 'TCD' into a 'minimalist' compartment (which it doesn't belong in anyway)? Sounds like you were floundering around trying to find a justification for not liking it
                                No floundering - just don't like it - end of story!

Comment

Working...
                                X