X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Of all the pieces, Nos. 4 and 13 are the ones I have never been able to 'get into' (but I do have a mental block over hearing sung Russian).
    Well, that's hardly a problem with 4, though, is it? 4 to me is his greatest achievement of all - and he himself told Ivan Galamian after its long delayed première that he felt that it was on of the best things that he'd done (and he'd composed another seven symphonies since); I sometimes wonder if he'd been somewhat cowed by this experience, given the the symphony that he wrote next is surely the weakest of the lot!

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    The last point I would make is: don't forget DSCH's other work. I'd single out the piano quintet and the 24 preludes and fugues (in the latter, I'd recommend this as a purchase: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovich.../dp/B00354XVKO ) which I got to know shortly after the 15th Symphony.
    Indeed - and I'd heartily add the 24 Preludes, the two piano trios (especially the second), the two concertos each for violin and cello and, of couse, that most remakable series of 15 quartets.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

In any cycle of symphonies, bgy any composer there are good and not so good. i vever say bad, becuase to compose any abstract or not abstract ,music is one hellofan achievment by any standard.

In my collection I have Haitink, Jarvi, Barshai and Jansons.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Numbers 4 & 15 are my favourites of his Symphonic works, but you have a fine selection to start with, Mario. I'd also second the recommendations for recordings by Haitink and Mravinsky (the latter's recordings of No 8 convince me that that work is the best of the lot whilst I'm listening to it).

The Symphonies are DSCH's public statements. The more intimate side of the man is revealed in his (for me) even more remarkable set of String Quartets.

Enjoy! I envy your hearing this Music for the first time!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Auferstehen2

Dear, dear!

Isn’t it wonderful sometimes, how innocent ignorance can yield positive results? I honestly didn’t know what I was doing when I picked those CDs, and yet it seems, especially the Ormandy one, it is a classic!

I must register my thanks to all for their contributions. Like my RVW odyssey, I shall tread carefully, and not rush it. I do so enjoy lettings works slowly seep in before moving on. My approach always has been that I’d rather know only a few great works very well, than know a huge number but only superficially. Message 15 (for an ignoramus like me) was extremely useful, gurnemanz.

I never cease to me amazed by the incredibly wide knowledge some contributors have. Did they start listening to this stuff before learning how to walk, or am I particularly slow?

Message 8 – visualnickmos, why on earth would I consider it impolite if you ask where I bought it from? I’d be only too pleased to help. HMV in Oxford St is the answer. I’m afraid I cannot remember the price, but I don’t recall being shocked by the amount – maybe ten quid or so?

Regards to all,

Mario

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Auferstehen2 View Post
            Did they start listening to this stuff before learning how to walk, or am I particularly slow?
            In my case, I first heard of Shostakovich from my older sister's LP of Music from the Bond films when I was about nine. John Barry named his favourite composers as Stravinsky, Prokofiev and Shostakovich, (and the Dawn Attack on Fort Knox from Goldfinger is an obvious "lift" from the Leningrad Symphony!). Later, when DSCH died, there was an "obit" programme on telly which drew me further into his Music (even then, it was the Eighth S4tet that made the biggest impact on my memory - the open G-string drone and the stabs from the other instruments) and that of Britten, whom DSCH said he "loved". He was my way into 20th Century Music: the next year, I heard Webern's Op 6 from a Robert Meyer broadcast, and the world has never been the same!

Best Wishes.

Comment

• johnb
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              ... and that of Britten, whom DSCH said he "loved".
              Of course, Shostakovich dedicated his 14th Symphony to Britten. Curiously, when I first heard the piece, though I was completely unaware of the dedication, my immediate impression was "this is influenced by Britten". That, though, might well be influenced by the sparer scoring - due at least in part to Shostakovich's illness which made it very difficult (and painful) for him to write the score.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I didn't mention the String Quartets for fear of subjecting you to a nasty bout of information overload, but, yes, they form a fascinating musical journey in themselves. There are many fine recordings available (I have the Fitzwilliams, others will have their favourites, but you can't really go wrong).

Comment

• johnb
                  • Mar 2007

By the way, Mario, I would disregard the evaluations of the various symphonies that people have given. Just enjoy exploring the pieces with open ears.

(Admittedly Nos 2 and 3 are curious works - experimental. They both have final movements/sections that are clearly written to appease the Soviet authorities tacked onto them.)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                    By the way, Mario, I would disregard the evaluations of the various symphonies that people have given.
                    "Disregard" is a little harsh, johnb? "Take them with a pinch of snuff", "Read them with interest, amusement and even wry bewilderment", perhaps?

Just enjoy exploring the pieces with open ears.

... and then let us know your "evaluations", so that we can be equally entertained, amused, bewildered ... and/or maybe enlightened!

Best Wishes.

Comment

• johnb
                      • Mar 2007

PS To hear a very different side to Shostakovich it is worth listening to his Piano Concerto and his Concerto for Piano, Trumpet and Strings. The latter is currently available on iPlayer, performed by Argerich, et al in last Wednesday's Essential Classics (about 2:36 in):

Sarah Walker presents music by Mendelssohn, Holloway, Schubert, Ravel and Bartok.

The last movement is one of the few pieces that has me actually chuckling all the way through. (It's worth knowing that, as a youth, Shostakovich played piano accompaniments to silent movies in a picture house to help support his family and pay his way through the Petrograd Conservatory.)

Comment

• Mahlerei

I certainly wouldn't write off No 12, long considered a Cinderella symphony. Mark Wigglesworth has convinced me it's a much better work than I first thought.

Comment

• johnb
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          "Disregard" is a little harsh, johnb? "Take them with a pinch of snuff", "Read them with interest, amusement and even wry bewilderment", perhaps?

... and then let us know your "evaluations", so that we can be equally entertained, amused, bewildered ... and/or maybe enlightened!

Best Wishes.

Agreed!

I suppose what I was really saying is that I really dislike, for example, the thumbnail checklist posted earlier in the thread. Partly because it is way too simplistic, sometimes questionable and partly because it just isn't the way that I approach music. (Sorry, gurnemanz, I know you were only trying to help.)

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Which Japanese set was this, AP? I bought the Aulos remaster (Korean, I think) and then the latest Melodiya one from 2006 - they're both stunningly better than the original LPs or CDs.

It's worth emphasising to anyone starting to listen to Shostakovich that certain Russian performers will tell you things no-one else can. Kondrashin in the symphonies, and the Borodins in the String Quartets, produce a style of performance - phrasing, nuances of emotion, and a dark, haunting, sometimes demonic character to their tonal colours, that expresses an essential, very slav, very Russian quality in this music; the humour never far from sarcasm, the tragic passages veering from bleakness, to apocalyptic, to mordant black comedy.

Listen to Kondrashin's 4th to hear what I mean...
                            Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
                            "one of this century’s greatest composers". Which century are you living in, Auferstehen? !!!

I bought the complete symphonies recorded by Kondrashin, and never regretted the fact though the recording can occasionally be, um, what shall I say, er, bracing. This was despite Japanese re-engineering of exceptional quality - I once had the LPs and they were far worse!

Looking on Amazon, I see that they now cost more than £50. Perhaps it would be better to wait or look around.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

I would endorse the comments made by everyone. What a fascinating journey you have in store, Mario!

Shostakovich first came to my attention via my 'other' interest, the history of the Second World War and Russian history in general. The very first symphony I bought on LP was the Kondrashin 11th in 1974 followed by Maxim Shostakovich's 5th the following April. I also recall a BBC film on the composer called Music from the Flames shown at about this time. The week that DSCH died (August 1975) I bought bith Karajan's and Svetlanov's 10ths. By this time I was well and truly hooked.

I hope this doesn't sound too daunting but once you have listened to and evaluated the symphonies I'd suggest that you read a good, general history of 20th century Russia. Some may not think it altogether necessary but it will certainly enhance your understanding and appreciation. I'd also recommend Volkov's Testimony whatever it's authenticity and Elizabeth Wilson's biography is superb.

I would say that Shostakovich is to the 20th century what Beethoven was to the 19th and I've been incredibly lucky to have heard his music performed live by those who knew him and even more fortunate to have met some of them. I'm very envious of those on here who have seen the composer himself.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                Which Japanese set was this, AP? I bought the Aulos remaster (Korean, I think) and then the latest Melodiya one from 2006 - they're both stunningly better than the original LPs or CDs.
                                Jayne, I have the original CD issue of the Kondrashin symphonies which came in an enormous door-stopper of a box and cost me, if I remember correctly, £70. Would you recommend I get the 2006 Melodiya reissue? Is the difference enough for me to purchase a replacement set?
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X