X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

ma mere l'oye

having just listened to the five-movement Mother Goose Suite on TTN I was wondering if a clever messageboarder could describe for me the penultimate chord in the fourth (les entretiens de ...........) movement in technical terms (the chord before the resolved major). I don't have a keyboard to hand and can't work it out, it sounds like a minor diminished something-or-other.

with thanks in anticipation

(perhaps there's an online score I can look at, there's a thought)
    Last edited by mercia; 02-01-12, 10:04.
  • Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

I'm definitely not 'clever' enough to be able to do a traditional 'harmonic analysis', but what we hear is 'bi-tonality': F major and F sharp major ( with an added 7th) sounding together.
    Six bars before the end of that movement the double basses, the 2nd horn and the lowest of the divided cellos play a 'pedal' low F; the flute and piccolo play an A in octaves, in the treble range above middle C, reinforced by the harp's right hand.
    So, there is a hollow, 'skeletal' F major.
    However, F major is barely discernable on account of the quiet, sustained string chord, spread over 4 octaves. This chord is F sharp major with an added 7th ( the note E). The harp's left hand moves upward in crotchet beats, reinforcing the F sharp + E chord ( but notated enharmonically in G flat with an added F flat). This beautifully spine-tingling dissonance is of course resolved into a luminous, clear F major in the last 2 bars.

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      having just listened to the five-movement Mother Goose Suite on TTN I was wondering if a clever messageboarder could describe for me the penultimate chord in the fourth (les entretiens de ...........) movement in technical terms (the chord before the resolved major). I don't have a keyboard to hand and can't work it out, it sounds like a minor diminished something-or-other.

You will find a score at http://216.129.110.22/files/imglnks/...ch._score_.pdf (the chord you are interested in is on page 45 - F sharp, A sharp, C sharp, E against F natural, A natural, resolving to F major triad).

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Was it numinous?

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Was it numinous?
          indeed, not to say luminous (as waldhorn rightly says)

many many many thanks to waldhorn and subcontra

with those brilliant descriptions I shall be able to copy it onto my manuscript paper

thank you very much for going to that trouble

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

indeed, not to say luminous (as waldhorn rightly says)

many many many thanks to waldhorn and subcontra

with those brilliant descriptions I shall be able to copy it onto my manuscript paper

thank you very much for going to that trouble
            It is indeed a numinous moment in music for me! In fact that movement is one of my favourite of all passages in Ravel's music. To me, the final combining of the two themes - that of the Beauty with the Beast - is one of the most imaginative and magical pieces of harmonisation in all music. I have often wondered if the Beast theme was originally devised by the composer as an alternative bass line to a re-harmonisation of the theme of the Beauty, and then extrapolated to become the melody - so ingeniously are they combined. Eric Satie would, I am sure, have been miffed at the explicit hommage to his own Gymnopedies represented by this movement.

S-A

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              It is indeed a numinous moment in music for me! In fact that movement is one of my favourite of all passages in Ravel's music. To me, the final combining of the two themes - that of the Beauty with the Beast - is one of the most imaginative and magical pieces of harmonisation in all music. I have often wondered if the Beast theme was originally devised by the composer as an alternative bass line to a re-harmonisation of the theme of the Beauty, and then extrapolated to become the melody - so ingeniously are they combined. Eric Satie would, I am sure, have been miffed at the explicit hommage to his own Gymnopedies represented by this movement.

S-A
              But then Ravel's orchestration produces so many moments. And he was Vaughan William's tutor - no suprises that he also produces those moments!

I wonder if Satie found the bit of La Mer at quarter to eleven Numinous?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

I wonder if Satie found the bit of La Mer at quarter to eleven Numinous?
                Timeless, at any rate, no doubt, cloughie!

I know that story about Satie's expressed view on La Mer.

Comment

Working...
                X