Once in Royal David's City as it should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath
    • Jun 2024

Once in Royal David's City as it should be?

A propos this morning's Breakfast but not specific to it, I was disappointed that the harmonisation of the carol, "Once in Royal David's City" was the version presented in "Carols for Choirs" arranged, it is claimed, by David Willcocks and to my mind harmonically inferior to the version which I believe originated with Henry Gauntlett in which the harmony to the words of the first line is simple Tonic-Dominant and only in the third line "Where a Mother...." diverting to the subdominant adding interest. The Carol for Choirs version does away with the simple harmonisation of the first line and repeats the alternative harmony instead. You can see my preference here

and for comparison a pre-Gauntlett even simpler harmonisation here

The purpose of this site is to preserve the rich history of carols and hymns which might otherwise be lost. The ultimate goal is to have the largest collection of hymns and carols of Christmas ever published in the English language.

Something like the (Willcocks) version broadcast this morning can be downloaded here

Last year's "Nine Lessons and Carols" from Kings College Chapel used what I consider to be the superior version but even my own choir and no doubt hundreds of others are slavishly using "Carols for Choirs". Is it because they genuinely prefer this version or is it ignorance of the alternative? Any ideas??

Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.
  • clive heath

(This is not the first time I have been the only responder to my post and last time one forum(inifer?)er was sympathetic. Here's hoping!)
    Just a reminder that my post of a year ago, as above, was meant to draw attention to a state of affairs that is musically worrying to a traditionalist like myself. If you are in a choir please ensure you and your fellow choristers are on the side of the musical angels and give your congregation a proper "Royal". If it's good enough for King's College.....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
      (This is not the first time I have been the only responder to my post and last time one forum(inifer?)er was sympathetic. Here's hoping!)
      Just a reminder that my post of a year ago, as above, was meant to draw attention to a state of affairs that is musically worrying to a traditionalist like myself. If you are in a choir please ensure you and your fellow choristers are on the side of the musical angels and give your congregation a proper "Royal". If it's good enough for King's College.....
      I have always preferred the A.H.Mann harmonisation (as found in Carols for Choirs), though I do take your point about the original Gauntlett version having added interest by its variation on the repeat. Although I am a huge fan of Willcocks' carol arrangements, I do prefer Philip Ledger's descant, soaring up to top A on the final line,

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

We always used to sing "Oh little Town of Bethlehem" to a beautiful lilting lullaby

Now they've turned it into a marching tune!

HS

Comment

• clive heath

Yes, of course, the harmonisation was by A.H.Mann, it claims, and not Willcocks as I mistakenly said. Nevertherless, examination of Gauntlett's original shows that the harmonic scheme (mis)used is his, only some passing notes are altered. I'm afraid I cannot share my Host's admiration of Willcocks' carol arrangements. In Book 1 he has a go at "Away in a Manger", first half OK but second half has lower parts scampering around in thirds, very difficult to keep a generally easeful atmosphere, and "Rocking" again has accompanying parts 8 notes to the bar and edgy chords on the first beat of the 4th and 5th bars, wouldn't help me to sleep!! My suspicion is that as these books are commercial enterprises, arrangements by the editors maximise returns.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
            I'm afraid I cannot share my Host's admiration of Willcocks' carol arrangements. In Book 1 he has a go at "Away in a Manger", first half OK but second half has lower parts scampering around in thirds, very difficult to keep a generally easeful atmosphere, and "Rocking" again has accompanying parts 8 notes to the bar and edgy chords on the first beat of the 4th and 5th bars, wouldn't help me to sleep!! My suspicion is that as these books are commercial enterprises, arrangements by the editors maximise returns.
            Who said the best arrangements are necessarily easy? Willcocks did a "difficult" version of Ding Dong! Merriy on High in Carols for Choirs II, but to me, it's far more interesting than the better-known Charles Wood arrangement.
            And of all arrangements of the National Anthem, surely even Britten's cannot match up to Sir David's? The trouble is that it was written for the wedding of Charles and Di, which is put on the back burner nowadays.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              the wedding of Charles and Di, .
              who they ?

Comment

Working...
              X