X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I love the last three piano sonatas,especially D 960. but I miss the humour and life of Haydn and Mozart in
    in Schubert's music. It's like being forced to take sugar in one's tea. Perhaps it's because my parents saw 'Lilac Time' several times and played the Rosamunde music when I was a small child. I'm sure no-one will know what I mean. The BBC are doing a great composer no favours by the force-feeding of the R3 listeners.

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by grandchant View Post
      Well, it's started, and I'm denied my classical radio station for a week. Anyone know a good alternative from further afield?
      Try this for a bit of fun:

It was Lilac Time and Gay Rosalinda was drinking Pink Champagne with the Shepherd on the Rock when Rosamunde approached, accompanied by a Quintet of Trout.
      “The Earl King was chasing me” she said “He says he’s going to put someone to Death
      and the Maiden turned to the shepherd “Roger, Wright this down.
      There are three of us and the five fishes. That makes eight. We’ll form an Impromptu Octet and we’ll play Serenades and Sonatas and the Lieder of the ensemble will express our Symphonies (she never could find the right word when drunk) for the fact that he had Unfinished business but it is a mere Bagatelle and there is a Mass of other music that we can perform if he will let us continue for another seven days and nights.”

The scheme worked and nearly everyone fell asleep after the first few hours.

HS

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I'm digging the garden today, with nothing to distract me on the radio.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
          Try this for a bit of fun:

It was Lilac Time and Gay Rosalinda was drinking Pink Champagne with the Shepherd on the Rock when Rosamunde approached, accompanied by a Quintet of Trout.
          “The Earl King was chasing me” she said “He says he’s going to put someone to Death
          and the Maiden turned to the shepherd “Roger, Wright this down.
          There are three of us and the five fishes. That makes eight. We’ll form an Impromptu Octet and we’ll play Serenades and Sonatas and the Lieder of the ensemble will express our Symphonies (she never could find the right word when drunk) for the fact that he had Unfinished business but it is a mere Bagatelle and there is a Mass of other music that we can perform if he will let us continue for another seven days and nights.”

The scheme worked and nearly everyone fell asleep after the first few hours.

HS
          I think somebody might be a bit of a liar, man (at least that's what my dog Shep heard up on the rock.)

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Well, folks, like it or not we're here with eight days of Schubert. I'm not going to stay glued to the radio, but I am going to listen to as much of BaL as I can before I have to go out. The parts of Martin Handley's programme that I heard were also enjoyable.

I hope boarders might make the best of a bad job and use this thread for some discussions of Schubert's music. I see no other thread and we might as well stick with this one.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Review of Piano Sonata D958 just starting.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Well, folks, like it or not we're here with eight days of Schubert. I'm not going to stay glued to the radio, but I am going to listen to as much of BaL as I can before I have to go out. The parts of Martin Handley's programme that I heard were also enjoyable.

I hope boarders might make the best of a bad job and use this thread for some discussions of Schubert's music. I see no other thread and we might as well stick with this one.
                Well, I guess that's looking on the bright side of life and trying to make the best out of a bad situation, rather than capitulation. What I hadn't realised, however, is that TTN has also been usurped into this megalomanic monstrosity.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

i am going to spend the next week not listening to the station nor reading serious news .... foootie celebrity gossip and CFM and i bet i end up with a spotty complexion and damaged liver and other body parts just like the chap who live on macdonalds pink goo for a month
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Well, I'm so glad that a year ago I got on to a website that lists many of Europe's online classical music stations. Thought it would come in useful one day.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Well, I guess that's looking on the bright side of life and trying to make the best out of a bad situation, rather than capitulation. What I hadn't realised, however, is that TTN has also been usurped into this megalomanic monstrosity.
                      Morning S-A.like you I thought TTN was exempt- silly me - I hoped to record it for the day but.......

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                        i am going to spend the next week not listening to the station nor reading serious news .... foootie celebrity gossip and CFM and i bet i end up with a spotty complexion and damaged liver and other body parts just like the chap who live on macdonalds pink goo for a month
                        I find it's always worthwhile tuning in to Toady in the morning for John Humphrys, just to hear another politician being saved from finishing off stating his or her rubbish, and to find out of the world is expected to end that day. There's nothing like a dash of Welsh optimism to set one up for the day.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

...........and of course on the seven day rule, the only TTN's available after next Sunday for a week will be.............
                          So the Schubert plague actually lasts for sixteen days in one form or another.

Own goal, Beeb?

Comment

• Frances_iom
                            • Mar 2007

presentationally total cr*p so far - even CD review interupted every 15mins or so by annoying adverts - R3 seems to have descended to a pox-ridden wh*re who will do anything for a tweet.
                            Just what audience is this dog's breakfast supposed to attract

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                              R3 seems to have descended to a pox-ridden wh*re who will do anything for a tweet.
                              She's a well-born lady down on her luck in hard times.

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

While making myself a coffee I put the kitchen radio onto CFM for about 20seconds. There was G&S, mixed up with other music, mention of the RLPO and about four adverts.

I am glad the BBC will be back to what passes for normal next week. PLEASE.

Comment

Working...
                                X