Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Thanks for this heads-up Ammy. I have appended my opinion in the interesting 'comments' section under Mr Service's item...
    Nicely put, Caliban.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Probably not, while the Administrator of this august forum doesn't appear to know what time it is
      To misquote DNA, 'Time is an illusion. Breakfast time, doubly so'.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
        Perhaps the choice of Schubert's Death and the Maiden music in Ariel Dorfman's play has an additional significance....
        Interesting point...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

yes well posted Caliban!

imv better than Schooby Dooby Doo
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

No authority I can find suggests torture, which (strange as it may seem) would have been anachronistic for Metternich's Vienna.
            Deutsch, quoted in Alfred Einstein's biography of Schubert, mentions that Schubert 'escaped with a black eye' though it's not clear if this was received during the arrest or in custody. Metternich's Vienna was a pretty oppressive place, so the latter would not have been surprising.

Comment

• Carmen

Would be interesting to know what the listening figures are for this week of programming outrage. Can this be ascertained?

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                Deutsch, quoted in Alfred Einstein's biography of Schubert, mentions that Schubert 'escaped with a black eye' though it's not clear if this was received during the arrest or in custody. Metternich's Vienna was a pretty oppressive place, so the latter would not have been surprising.
                Yes, I completely agree. I can't imagine the young men were treated in any way that we could regard as 'civilised'.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Carmen View Post
                  Would be interesting to know what the listening figures are for this week of programming outrage. Can this be ascertained?
                  I think you can safely bet that they will be 'very satisfying' and 'impressive'. In fact, the press releases have possibly already been written.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                    Nicely put, Caliban.
                    Thanks Don and also calum... Annoyingly I see I left a stray "a" in my comment there, and it can't be edited Oh well, don't suppose a typo in the Grauniad needs to be much lamented
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Excellent post at the Graun, Caliban.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        I think you can safely bet that they will be 'very satisfying' and 'impressive'. In fact, the press releases have possibly already been written.
                        probably recycled from last two - the actual submissions like Wodger's emails are not published and we need take on trust.

Comment

• Karafan
                          • Nov 2010

I had the misfortune to catch some of "Play Schubert for me" at the weekend. Sarah Mohr-Pietsch at one stage broke to 'interview' a "Schubert Virgin", some rather tiresome female presenter from radio 5 Live (apparently), who had been handed a pile of CDs sometime earlier and asked to report back her findings (why, I asked myself aloud, who the hell cares?). She then proceeded to relate, to Ms Mohr-Pietsch's apparent edification, how she'd put the music on and listened to it through a filter of bawling kids. Aural "wallpaper" was how she described it. Her most illuminating point to relate was that she had enjoyed the Gloria from a mass setting because it was sunny outside and she thought it was nice. Utter twaddle.

Mohr-Pietsch, in a vain attempt to draw something meaningful from this banal observation, then went on to advance "so I think we're beginning to realise there are actually two Schuberts, one a serious composer one has to listen to in our otherwise silent sitting rooms or the concert hall..." (the sentence thankfully trailed off at that point, though I suspect the intended conclusion was likely to have been 'and the one it is perfectly OK to listen to through a cacophony of screaming children, washing machines and general chatter'.) Risible stuff.
                          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                            I had the misfortune to catch some of "Play Schubert for me" at the weekend. Sarah Mohr-Pietsch at one stage broke to 'interview' a "Schubert Virgin", some rather tiresome female presenter from radio 5 Live (apparently), who had been handed a pile of CDs sometime earlier and asked to report back her findings (why, I asked myself aloud, who the hell cares?). She then proceeded to relate, to Ms Mohr-Pietsch's apparent edification, how she'd put the music on and listened to it through a filter of bawling kids. Aural "wallpaper" was how she described it. Her most illuminating point to relate was that she had enjoyed the Gloria from a mass setting because it was sunny outside and she thought it was nice. Utter twaddle.

Mohr-Pietsch, in a vain attempt to draw something meaningful from this banal observation, then went on to advance "so I think we're beginning to realise there are actually two Schuberts, one a serious composer one has to listen to in our otherwise silent sitting rooms or the concert hall..." (the sentence thankfully trailed off at that point, though I suspect the intended conclusion was likely to have been 'and the one it is perfectly OK to listen to through a cacophony of screaming children, washing machines and general chatter'.) Risible stuff.
                            Spot on, karafan... sadly!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Frances_iom
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                              .. Risible stuff.
                              "those whom the Gods wish to destroy they first send mad" - Euripides.
                              which just about sums up the present R3 production team

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

It's beyond even an Alan Partridge parody, isn't it? And they just don't get it at R3, do they?
                                The damage the inept packaging of this 'event' is doing to R3's reputation is saddening, let alone what it is doing to Schubert.

Comment

Working...
                                X