• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    I would say that music doesn't get much more masculine than the Brahms piano concerti - Heavens-storming, muscle-rippling stuff!And I think that the late Beethoven chamber works and most of the Sibelius symphonies could fairly be described as masculine.

Funnily enough, Norfy, I was thinking that his PC#1 is masculine, his PC#2 rather feminine....

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Black Swan

I've shut off until Schubert fest is over. Don't understand the rationale about masculine music. Is music really engender? I really never thought of it.

J

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
        I've shut off until Schubert fest is over. Don't understand the rationale about masculine music. Is music really engender? I really never thought of it.

J
        Forgive me for mentioning it, but I fear that we are in danger of generating as much twaddle as the Radio 3 presenters.

To me, music is quite sexless. The orientation of the music or of its creator is neither here nor there.

HS

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
          Forgive me for mentioning it, but I fear that we are in danger of generating as much twaddle as the Radio 3 presenters.

To me, music is quite sexless. The orientation of the music or of its creator is neither here nor there.

HS

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

HS
            Forgive me for mentioning it, but the thread had taken to talking about gender not sex or orientation (whatever that might mean).

Have a little patience, Father William
            Last edited by Guest; 25-03-12, 18:20. Reason: activate that smiley!

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

No more, or less, twaddle than the comparison of performances which occupies so much space on the boards.

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Forgive me for mentioning it, but the thread had taken to talking about gender not sex or orientation (whatever that might mean).
              Thinking about the gender issue it seems to me that music is predominantly feminine in nature - emotional, connective, nurturing etc. We heard an overture by a teenage Schubert this afternoon which, on the other hand, was quite masculine in style to my ears. So I think it's the work which, rather than the composer who, has the gendered identity.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Thinking about the gender issue it seems to me that music is predominantly feminine in nature - emotional, connective, nurturing etc. We heard an overture by a teenage Schubert this afternoon which, on the other hand, was quite masculine in style to my ears. So I think it's the work which, rather than the composer who, has the gendered identity.
                Oh dear

you should meet some of the women I know

I think there ARE instances where gender plays a role in music (and not just in Javanese Gamelan ) but this
                female = nurturing , emotional etc
                male = assertive , aggressive

is nonsense IMV

I thought a couple of examples might help ?

"female music" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyFS1...eature=related
                "male" music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v55sXDKLwwM

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  Oh dear

you should meet some of the women I know

I think there ARE instances where gender plays a role in music (and not just in Javanese Gamelan ) but this
                  female = nurturing , emotional etc
                  male = assertive , aggressive

is nonsense IMV

Took the very words from out of my keyboard, MrGG!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    [...]you should meet some of the women I know [...]
                    I assume we have different tastes in women, Mr GG.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

How are you all loving it?
                      Or are you, like me, discovering exactly why 80% of the Schubert we are hearing has rarely been given an outing before?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        How are you all loving it?
                        I am all loving it!
                        Or are you, like me, discovering exactly why 80% of the Schubert we are hearing has rarely been given an outing before?
                        Depends what you mean by 'rarely', and probably also by '80%' - surely an exageration? For me it's been more a matter of rediscovering old friends among the rarer Lieder (like the songs by Erb and Plunkett-Greene circa Saturday lunchtime), as well as the mid-period instrumental and chamber works.

The operas are nearly unknown territory for me and I'm not really expecting to be hugely turned on by them - too many weak libretti and often too weak an understanding on S's part of the basic mechanics and - crucially - the timing of an operatic drama I fear, though Fierrabras had its moments.

But I guess basically DracoM, you simply don't like Schubert as much as I do. No law against that of course , but keep trying?
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          I assume we have different tastes in women, Mr GG.
                          aaaaaaargh I really would stop digging there if I were you

Comment

• hackneyvi

It has crossed my mind that this Schubert week is a sort of smoke screen and that R3 will look and sound different when the schedules for the week commencing Monday 2nd April appear.

Is it possible that the late evening slot will change permanently to a request show?

I can't fathom who thought up Play Schubert for Me (this does allude to one of Clint Eastwood's tackier films, doesn't it)? I don't recall ever having heard a bad idea quite so clearly announce itself as bad than the part of the trail which asks for requests and then asks for requests even when the person doesn't have any request to make.

That just seems demented.

Comment

• David-G
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              In the programme tomorrow (Sunday) evening at 19:30, I notice these are listed:

Schubert: Ellens Gesange I-III, D.837-839; Der Wanderer an den Mond D.870;
                              An den Mond in einer Herbstnacht D.614; Der Wanderer D.649

Christine Schafer (soprano)
                              Eric Schneider (piano).

I believe these performances (from a festival I think) have been aired before - if I'm right, they are mesmerising and stopped me in my tracks.

Definitely one to catch (with Gerald Finlay et al too).
                              Thank you for pointing these out. Schafer's performance was indeed mesmerising! These were from the Schwetzingen Festival last year.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post
                                It has crossed my mind that this Schubert week is a sort of smoke screen and that R3 will look and sound different when the schedules for the week commencing Monday 2nd April appear.
                                Is it possible that the late evening slot will change permanently to a request show?

That just seems demented.
                                a similar suspicion crossed my mind - we saw a similar action of dumbing down evening concerts introduced after a 'listen up' special - I'm on record that the only thing that will survive the departure of Wrecker Wright will be the concert - I strongly suspect all the rest will become easy listening

Comment

Working...
                                X