John Ogdon: Views?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Skelton

Much appreciated Clive, thanks. Please don't let one thoughtless and mistaken comment put you off coming here. I've enjoyed listening to the Schönberg and Mahler very much (on the to listen to list next, Ogdon / Groves in Messiaen). Good to meet another Eric Dolphy fan .

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      For a thoughtless remark like that, I'd say you need filling in
      What an appallingly offensive and tasteless remark at this of all seasons.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        What an appallingly offensive and tasteless remark at this of all seasons.
        Likewise, I'm sure

I was responding to your offensive remark to clive heath , someone who has brought delight to many members via his website, and all you could do was to suggest that he was a spammer. You dole it out but can't take it, eh Panyan?

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Anyone heard either of the two BBC Legends records -Beethoven 5 with Horenstein and a Brahms 2 with Barbirolli which sounds tempting .

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Anyone heard either of the two BBC Legends records -Beethoven 5 with Horenstein and a Brahms 2 with Barbirolli which sounds tempting .
            You can listen to excerpts of the Beethoven on the Amazon site. Be aware that it is a mono recording.

Comment

• slarty

The Brahms Concerto with Barbirolli is a BBC Studios Manchester performance from the 16th september 1966 and although in mono, it is very good sound. Excellent performance. there is a fine rapport between Ogdon and JB. The filler is the Opus 111 of Beethoven given in the BBC studios in 1963. Also in good sound.
              This is a fine CD.

Comment

• slarty

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                The Beethoven 5 with Horenstein is from a live performance given in the German city of Viersen on the 21 January 1969. Performance is in mono but never the less in very good clear sound. Wonderful to hear JO with Horenstein - the disc is worth it just for this.
                Also on the disc is a stereo performance of the Schubert sonata D958 given in the Maida Vale studios in 1972.

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

I'm probably alone in not warming to John Ogdon's Scriabin recordings. My loss, obviously. To me they are just notes, swiftly and expertly despatched.
                  The following just arrived in my inbox. In case you haven't heard/seen this pull up a chair and enjoy.
                  The, Art, Of, Piano, Great, Pianists, 20Th, Century, Great Pianists Of The 20th Century
                  My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

I have those two volumes of John Ogdon's playing various works, from that mammoth piano box set of various artists. Now what was it called?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lento
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      puzzling over a score of the second Boulez piano sonata. In walks Ogdon exclaiming, "Aha! - what have we here?" - whereupon he sits down at the piano and sight reads his way through the piece with nonchalant ease and fluency.
                      Apparently he then said "it's a funny piece, isn't it"?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks slarty.

I have the 70th birthday 4 CD set they put out a few years back . This includes the unpublished Paganini Rhapsody where the piano does rather seem to zoom in and out of focus . Exciting performance though and the Bartok 1 that was also so unpublished .

Some crackers though especially his Rachmaninov 2 with Pritchard and an enormously musical Tchaikovsky 1 with Barbirolli. His own piano concerto is an acquired taste and not one I have quite acquired .

Comment

Working...
                        X