X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

BBC4 "Symphony" with Simon Russell Beale

I am looking forward to the BBC4 programme - I enjoyed the Sacred Music series presented by Simon Russell Beale - a good musician and probably the best actor of his generation.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

There was a press release with more details last Friday.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Simon Russell Beale does make the prospect extremely enticing. He is very musical as a singer; as endearing as the thought of Dudley Moore and George Solti.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

BBC4 "Symphony" with Simon Russell Beale

Have people noticed that Simon Russell Beale is moving from sacred music to considering the development of the Symphony in a 4 part series starting this Thursday at 9pm on BBC4 TV.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016vgw7/episodes/guide
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Have people noticed that Simon Russell Beale is moving from sacred music to considering the development of the Symphony in a 4 part series starting this Thursday at 9pm on BBC4 TV.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016vgw7/episodes/guide
          If he presents that Symphony-series the way he did the sacred music ones, it might be good.
          We'll wait patiently.

Comment

• gamba
            Late member
            • Dec 2010

Wot ! no Charles Hazlewood !

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gamba View Post
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gamba View Post
                He's just finished a 6-part series of The Charles Hazlewood Show on Radio 2. I'm sort of half interested in what connections he makes between Elbow's Lippy Kids and Schnittke's Concerto for Piano and String Orchestra, but not enough to listen to the programme.

(Isn't this Talking About Music rather than Arts and Ideas?)
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Not a bad programme but rather odd to see Sir Mark Elder conducting the OAE from the fortepiano. Felt perhaps too much Haydn and too little Mozart . I trust we will be getting the rest of Beethoven next week .

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    He's just finished a 6-part series of The Charles Hazlewood Show on Radio 2. I'm sort of half interested in what connections he makes between Elbow's Lippy Kids and Schnittke's Concerto for Piano and String Orchestra, but not enough to listen to the programme.

(Isn't this Talking About Music rather than Arts and Ideas?)
                    Indeed frenchie, which is why I have had so much trouble finding it (the search 'facility' here I find pretty useless) in order to report that the Beeb appear to have changed the coding for iPlayer "Listen Again" offerings on BBC4. They can no longer be captured by programs such as HiDownload Platinum Edition. Indeed, merely trying to watch via the iPlayer while HiDownload is running (even if no attempt is made to save the programme being played back) can crash the latter.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I just wish he would stand still and talk to camera more. It was too early to see Simon talking while approaching the White Cliffs of Dover, and then various diners and London streets.

I shall try again later but I found it difficult to concentrate on the music.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I'm merging this thread with the one on Talking Abiut Music - but keeping the title.

Comment

• gingerjon
                          • Sep 2011

Enjoyed the programme although I imagine that if you already had some knowledge on the subject it might have been a little lightweight.

Had the pleasure of being at St Pancras for the BBCSO performance of Ode to Joy as well which SBR introduced.
                          The best music is the music that persuades us there is no other music in the world-- Alex Ross

Comment

• Tapiola
                            • Jan 2011

I agree, gingerjon. I found the programme interesting but thought that the explanation of the origins of the symphony was very sketchy. I look forward to the next instalments though.

I also found intriguing the anecdote about Beethoven weeping during an 1808 performance of Haydn's "Creation". I wonder how much of the music he could actually hear.

Comment

• Donnie Essen

Thought it sucked. A man works hard all day, then he tries to better himself through television on a Thursday evening, he wants to learn about the symphony, but all he gets to see is a big excuse to go on a jolly to foreign towns and chef's houses. Too much on the lives, not enough on the form and such, 'cept the most basic mentions. I don't know squat and I still didn't learn nothin'. I liked seeing Mark Elder, though, and I enjoyed the music, but the musical content there woulda filled like a page and half in a music book.

Comment

Working...
                              X