Celebrities on Radio 3 - Derren Brown why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Celebrities on Radio 3 - Derren Brown why?

Now I am listening to Rob Cowan's morning programme and he has a guest on the illusionist Derren Brown talking about his favourite music. It seems that Derren Brown is on each day this week. I thought 'Private Passions' on Sunday was for that purpose. Just another example of the obsession the media have with the Celebrity Culture. I'm not really interested in Derren Brown's pieces of music on Radio3 and his stuffed animals etc. I want to hear music. The views of classical performers and composers might be more interesting but please no more celebrities.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Ah, this is hopeful. It sounds as if they're running out of ideas already.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

I'm a big fan of Derren Brown's - some of the stuff he does is mind-boggling- but he shouldn't be on Breakfast. My Hi-Fi has packed up at the moment so I can't listen to Radio 3 -at least not with decent sound quality- or indeed my CD collection. Whilst I miss the CDs, I must admit can't say the same for most of Radio 3's output nowadays.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        I'm a big fan of Derren Brown's - some of the stuff he does is mind-boggling- but he shouldn't be on Breakfast.
        He was on Essential Classics, though I see no indication whatever on the website as to what music he is choosing: "The Essential Classics guest is the psychological illusionist Derren Brown. Today he includes the piece that first stimulated his interest in classical music." Well, we'll soon find out what it was when the playlist goes up.

[I can just hear Rob asking: "What piece of music was it, Derren, that first stimulated your interest in classical music?"]
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          [I can just hear Rob asking: "What piece of music was it, Derren, that first stimulated your interest in classical music?"]
          John Cage's 4' 33" is my guess

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            ... and wdn't it be good if a Guest did choose 4' 33" ? 'cos then Robbikins wd have to 'play' it - and we know the BBC systems don't allow for silence that long - tee hee ....

Comment

• Norfolk Born

...or the full version of 'Jesus's Blood Never Failed Me Yet'.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                ...or the full version of 'Jesus's Blood Never Failed Me Yet'.
                ... or indeed, (a recent subject on the Hear & Now thread) - Cornelius Cardew's The Great Learning -

Comment

• Don Petter

That raises an interesting point. Is there any 'persuasion' over what might not be a good thing to choose?

Or maybe it's like Who do you think you are? where if the initial screening doesn't turn up anything of interest a polite 'thank you but no thank you' is issued, but in this case it would be for choices too esoteric.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Have they ever done 4'33" on BaL? Might lead to an interesting debate on whether it should be 'played' on original instruments or whether certain conductors would take it too quickly or too slowly, or simply just take the wee wee!
                    By the way who is Derren Brown? I switched off this morning after the wonderful Sir Clifford's K595.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                      Have they ever done 4'33" on BaL? Might lead to an interesting debate on whether it should be 'played' on original instruments or whether certain conductors would take it too quickly or too slowly....
                      ... and whether the audience is allowed to applaud between movements?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                        By the way who is Derren Brown?
                        He's a TV magician-cum-hypnotist.

Finding him somewhat scary, I have not actually watched any of his programmes to completion. it must take quite some "personality" to mass-hypnotise a mass audience - as suggested on the never-ending trail; but who knows? Clegg managed it successfully (if only for a few days) on the pre-election discussion.

Comment

• marvin
                          • Jul 2011

Christ almighty why is there so much talk on R3? I don't want to hear this bloke go on and on day after day. I WANT TO HEAR MUSIC. Sorry for the caps. The music could have been lifted from Classic FM's playlist.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                            Christ almighty why is there so much talk on R3? I don't want to hear this bloke go on and on day after day. I WANT TO HEAR MUSIC. Sorry for the caps. The music could have been lifted from Classic FM's playlist.
                            Marvin, see my comments on the Essential Classics and Radio 3 Dying thread: I couldn't agree more. Having Brown on being desperately interviewed by Rob Cowan is a new low. If they don't dump the chat format, there'll be more of this banal, irrelevant b*ll*cks to come when they've run out of vaguely interesting people like Starkey and d'Ancona.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Marvin, see my comments on the Essential Classics and Radio 3 Dying thread: I couldn't agree more. Having Brown on being desperately interviewed by Rob Cowan is a new low. If they don't dump the chat format, there'll be more of this banal, irrelevant b*ll*cks to come when they've run out of vaguely interesting people like Starkey and d'Ancona.
                              ... and ironically such a contrast with Toady, and suchlike programmes on R4, where interviewees of any ilk are never allowed to reach any sort of clinching point in a reply to a question without being interrupted, or told, "In five seconds can you give us a one-sentance solution to the Greek debt problem".

I was reminded of this yesterday, watching a clip posted on another thread of a 1972 documentary on the Black activist Malcolm X. It was a sad and salutary reminder of simple, informative courtesy being an indispensable part of an interviewer/presenter's job, an art the BBC has obviously at some point along the way discretely expunged from its training programmes, in exchange for this......

Comment

Working...
                              X