X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Violinists on violinists

An article from the Guardian which is mildly interesting but some of the video clips are good, especially a lengthy clip of Ida Haendel, in the last movement of Brahms' violin concerto, Gidon Kremer in solo Bach too.

The artists' artist: Seven violinists nominate their favourite living artist in their field

Where's Ariosto?
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Little is spot in about Ida having a great sense of rhythm . It really is a tragedy that in the 1970s and 80s she wasn't given the opportunity to record the great concertos with first rate accompanists by a big label.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

October 6 2011-an impromptu performance for 2 Oregon violinists visiting Florida for a 3 day master class with Ms. Haendel.ERNEST BLOCH Nigun from Baal Shem...

Go Ida ! October 2011 .

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I am surprised nobody else finds her playing worthy of comment !

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Well, it does rather speak for itself, Barbs! Such tone! Such intonation and rhythmic precision - even the quality of the recording improved significantly when she started to play!
          I didn't think much of the piece itself, but the way she played it had me hooked! If only, if only the Schoenberg Concerto had been in her repertoire: she'd have even the astonishing Ms Hahn shivering in the corner!

Thanks for the post!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Although Ms. Haendel didn't play the Schoenberg concerto she did play the Petterson concertos which, if anything, are even more thorny than Schoenberg's. I have a cd (which cost a fortune!) of her playing the second. It lasts almost 50 minutes and I've never been able to listen from one end to the other without a break.

There is so much I (any others) wish she had recorded at the peak of her powers. Such a great loss.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              Although Ms. Haendel didn't play the Schoenberg concerto she did play the Petterson concertos which, if anything, are even more thorny than Schoenberg's. I have a cd (which cost a fortune!) of her playing the second. It lasts almost 50 minutes and I've never been able to listen from one end to the other without a break.

There is so much I (any others) wish she had recorded at the peak of her powers. Such a great loss.
              The Bloch was only 3 months ago PG. I reckon Ida could still knock off a short concerto at the Proms no sweat !

Comment

• amateur51

I made a wonderful discovery on youtube last evening - a huge library of filmed performances by Ida Haendel.

Patrons of Exceptional Artists (sponsor of the Miami International Piano Festival) represents the great violinist Ida Haendel. Our organization discovers, supports and presents exceptional artists who deserve wider recognition. Ms. Haendel has had an extraordinary career and achieved legendary status throughout much of the world. However she is not widely known in the United States. We have decided to create a channel dedicated to her. It contains performance clips availableonYoutube"Miamipianofestival" and unique uploads.We hope to provide enjoyment to Ms. Haendel's many fans worldwide and introduce her special artistry to new audiences

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

I've often thought that, had she only performed the Schönberg Concerto, it would at last have found what I've discovered (only since hearing Hahn play it) to be its rightful place among the great works for this medium - but, whilst I have long since had the Pettersson 2 in her recoding I didn't know that she'd also recorded 1 (the work for violin and string quartet which I've often thought might be a great foil for Chausson's Concert in a programme). I do think that Schönberg's Concerto is thornier than either Pettersson, though!

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks for the Haendel links ams - one of my very favourite violinists that I never missed seeing in the past.

Comment

Working...
                    X