X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    . . . never liked the sound of Stott or Crossley...
    *faints* Admittedly, imo Collard is the front runner but Kathryn Stott a VERY close second!

As for the Faure Requiem - you can keep it.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
      *faints* Admittedly, imo Collard is the front runner but Kathryn Stott a VERY close second!

As for the Faure Requiem - you can keep it.
      On balance I prefer Kathryn Stott especially in the wonderful late Barcarolles.

Only problem with the Faure Requiem is too many bad - and slow - performances.

Elly Ameling and Gerard Souzay - ; however, Dalton Baldwin -

Graham Johnson on Hyperion is preferable but his singers aren't...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        I always enjoy a foray into this repertoire myself...
        Join the club!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Since we seem to be happy for a (get it?...) ... for a wider survey of old Gabriel's music, I think my favourite performance of a choral work is this one of the Cantique de Jean Racine http://www.naxosmusiclibrary.com/pre...D=V4879&path=3 It can seem rather soupy and sentimental, that piece - not a bit of it there, wonderful vocal and organ textures with a distinct French timbre. Addictive
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Since we seem to be happy ... for a ... wider survey of old Gabriel's music...
            calimera sou -

glad you have ordered the Collard - you won't regret it!

... you might, of course, wish to supplement with Charles Owen's 2 CD survey of the Nocturnes - and Pascal Rogé on decca: impromptus, nocturnes, barcarolles...

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Don't think the similar content, similar price Brilliant box has been mentioned.

Best things on it are the violin sonatas played by Krysia Osostowicz and Susan Tomes.

I bought it a couple of years ago, but it looks to me that the new Virgin set is overall preferable.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                Are there 4 or 5 CDs in the set? (Mathematicians and logicians will answer "Yes"!)

The Amazon listing (see OP or here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fauré-Comple.../dp/B0057JWUVG ) suggests 5, but then the text describing the works mentions "four". Probably is 5 I'd guess.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

If Mr McGregor prowls these precincts incognito, I would nominate it for detailed coverage in an early post-Prom new season CD Review programme
                  Ah ha! Mr McG just said this set would be featuring in next Saturday's CD Review (I'm sure they were planning it already, before I started this thread )

And Dave: could you explain your mathematicians and logicians aside ? Got my Saturday brain in here

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

could you explain your mathematicians and logicians aside ?
                    calispera sas -

case A: there are 4 CDs
                    case B: there are 5 CDs

question - "Are there 4 or 5 CDs?"

answer - "Yes!" - obvi, as the yoof say

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Caliban

What most "normal" English speakers expect is:

If there are 4 CDs, answer 4;
                      If there are 5 CDs, answer 5
                      Otherwise respond with some other, possibly sensible answer, such as "6",' "I don't know" etc.

Mathematicians operating in logic mode would do this:

1. Are there 4 CDs? - note down True if there are, otherwise False

2. Are there 5 CDs? - note down True if there are, otherwise False

3. To evaluate " Are there 4 or 5 CDs" treat this as "Are there 4 CDs or are there 5 CDs?"

Cases
                      : there are 4, so 1 is True, 2 is False -> result is True OR False, which has the value True (so say Yes)

: there are 5, so 1 is False, 2 is True-> result is False OR True, which has the value True (so say Yes)

: any other number, then both 1,2 are False, so the result is False OR False, which has the value False (so say No).

I put OR in Caps to distinguish it from the "normal" usage. Mathematicians sometimes use a symbol which looks a bit like 'v', as in A v B to mean OR.

Another example of expected (unexpected?) societal responses
                      :

Peter Sellers "Do you know where the Royal Hotel is?".
                      Man in street "Yes"

The first time I saw this I didn't think it was funny.

When I saw it again I'd visited Switzerland, and thought it hilarious! The scene took place in Switzerland, allegedly.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        Mathematicians and logicians will answer "Yes"!.
                        "We have in the studio Bertrand Russell, who talked to us in the series “Sense Perception and Nonsense: Number 7, Is this a dagger I see before me?” - Bertrand Russell...."

Bertrand Russell: "One of the advantages of living in Great Court, Trinity, I seem to recall, was the fact that one could pop across at any time of the day or night and trap the then young G.E. Moore into a logical falsehood by means of a cunning semantic subterfuge. I recall one occasion with particular vividness. I had popped across and had knocked upon his door. "Come in", he said. I decided to wait awhile in order to test the validity of his proposition. "Come in", he said once again. "Very well", I replied, "if that is in fact truly what you wish".

I opened the door accordingly and went in, and there was Moore seated by the fire with a basket upon his knees. "Moore", I said, "do you have any apples in that basket?" "No", he replied, and smiled seraphically, as was his wont. I decided to try a different logical tack. "Moore", I said, "do you then have some apples in that basket?" "No", he replied, leaving me in a logical cleft stick from which I had but one way out. "Moore", I said, "do you then have apples in that basket?" "Yes", he replied. And from that day forth, we remained the very closest of friends.' "

From Jonathan Miller [St John's], 'Portrait from Memory', on the LP Beyond the Fringe (1962)

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                          I know this is not everyone’s cup of tea but still. Here goes.
                          http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Virgin/0709212
                          Doversoiul

Seems good to me. Some of Paavo Järvi's recent work has been very good, particularly with the German Chamber Orchstra of Bremen, though not the orchestra here. The Rutter version (Conifer? Maybe Collegium now?) is good too - and I also have the Cluytens with de Los Angeles and Fischer-Dieskau.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I like the Requiem and started to appreciate it even more when I sang it for the first time with our Choral Soc.

Re the mélodies, I very much like Rachel Yakar in this repertoire on a Virgin twofer I've had for a while.

I have fond memories of standing at the Proms in the 70s for her Glyndebourne Donna Elvira with Tom Allen as the Don.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Vinteuil

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ericsw/btf/ listen to the mp3...

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Dave2002 - many thanks for both

I last looked at a Linguistics book in 1972; I last looked at a Logic textbook in 1974.
                                Was happy to look at them then; happier still that I no longer feel a duty to keep up...

Comment

Working...
                                X