Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Jenö Jandó 1952-2023. RIP

The great Hungarian pianist has died.
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

I'm sorry to hear this. I like his Bach WTC recordings.

Comment

• Jonathan
      • Mar 2007

RIP - a superb artist. His last entry in the Liszt series on Naxos was amazing.
      Best regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
        RIP - a superb artist. His last entry in the Liszt series on Naxos was amazing.
        Yes indeed!

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Really sorry to hear about this. A fine player, and I have quite a number of his CDs.

Comment

• Pianoman
            • Jan 2013

Yes I was very sad to hear this. I have a lot of his recordings, and like many others, collected lots of Naxos stuff. I have to say it stands up very well - his Beethoven sonata cycle is to my ears one of the best, as it's played 'straight' and even with less than great piano sound, the artistry shines through.
            Although he admitted he was a very heavy smoker, 71 is still far too young.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Very sad news indeed.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                Yes I was very sad to hear this. I have a lot of his recordings, and like many others, collected lots of Naxos stuff. I have to say it stands up very well - his Beethoven sonata cycle is to my ears one of the best, as it's played 'straight' and even with less than great piano sound, the artistry shines through.
                Although he admitted he was a very heavy smoker, 71 is still far too young.
                I once had the privilege to eat lunch , in Hong Kong, with Klaus Heymann, the founder of Naxos. As luck would have it Klaus had had some routine cardiac testing earlier in the day and was asking me to explain some of the technology involved. He then regaled me with lots of stories about Jando, one of which was his prodigious smoking. RIP

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

Thanks, Alison, for letting us have this sad news. What a stalwart he was, as a flip through the Naxos catalogue will reveal.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

I have a number of his good recordings. Naxos have lost a good reliable ‘house’ pianist.
                    RIP JJ

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      I have a number of his good recordings. Naxos have lost a good reliable ‘house’ pianist.
                      RIP JJ
                      I think he was more than that. His Naxos performances were better then many “big name “ pianists at more illustrious labels. It was a canny move to sign up with them . Event though I suspect they paid less he became , in classical circles , a household name.

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

Jando was the Hatto choice for Liszt's Annee's Bk 1. and a good choice IMO -- it is a fresh recording. I am also keen on his Bartok -- especially Mikrokosmos 5 and 6. And yesterday I heard some short form Schubert too, with great pleasure.
                        Last edited by Mandryka; 06-07-23, 17:41.

Comment

• Master Jacques
                          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                          I think he was more than that. His Naxos performances were better then many “big name “ pianists at more illustrious labels. It was a canny move to sign up with them . Event though I suspect they paid less he became , in classical circles , a household name.
                          I totally agree. Naxos made him a familiar name, but that wouldn't have happened without a supreme talent, which shone through for those with ears to hear, despite his lack of "fashionable" status.
                          Last edited by Master Jacques; 07-07-23, 12:32. Reason: removed factual error

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                            I didn’t mean ‘house pianist’ in a derogatory way - he was clearly more than just a good pair of hands and could turn those hands to a wide range of composers.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              I didn’t mean ‘house pianist’ in a derogatory way - he was clearly more than just a good pair of hands and could turn those hands to a wide range of composers.
                              House pianist isn’t necessarily derogatory. Stan Tracey was one at Ronnie’s for years and better than quite a few imported stars. Who was DG ‘s house pianist ? - Wilhelm Kempff I guess - now there was a piano player.

Comment

Working...
                              X