• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Gramophone ‘Orchestra of the Year’

I think the BBC Philharmonic richly deserve all the support they can get at the moment, so I have voted accordingly. Here’s the link in case others feel the same:

I just voted for Gramophone's Orchestra of the Year! Listen to playlists of this year's nominees on Apple Music and cast your vote at www.gramophone.co.uk/awards

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Done

Comment

• Gargoyle
      • Dec 2022

Done.

Voted BBC Philharmonic

If you feel the same, please take the trouble to vote

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
        I think the BBC Philharmonic richly deserve all the support they can get at the moment, so I have voted accordingly. Here’s the link in case others feel the same:

I just voted for Gramophone's Orchestra of the Year! Listen to playlists of this year's nominees on Apple Music and cast your vote at www.gramophone.co.uk/awards

Done Nick. I remember in the days of the BBC Northern attending free ‘to be broadcast’ concerts.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Regardless of any external reasons they gave an absolutely superb performance of the Britten Sinfonia Da Requiem at Snape on Tuesday as part of the Aldeburgh Festival. Special praise for their excellent timpanist in this and in the Pathetique. His virtuosity almost distracted me from conductor Ramon Gumba’s extraordinary podium antics.He didn’t so much conduct as creatively interpret the music through dance. Is he a ballet dancer manqué ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
            Regardless of any external reasons they gave an absolutely superb performance of the Britten Sinfonia Da Requiem at Snape on Tuesday as part of the Aldeburgh Festival. Special praise for their excellent timpanist in this and in the Pathetique.
            Cracking Sibelius 5 under Storgards from Snape on R3 on Wednesday evening too. Terrific orchestra
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Cracking Sibelius 5 under Storgards from Snape on R3 on Wednesday evening too. Terrific orchestra
              Yes that was Mondays Snape concert. It was hot that afternoon and they left the rehearsal doors open .The Britten violin concerto sounded absolutely wonderful sitting in the cafe . Both concerts were completely sold out . I was lucky to get returns for the Tuesday perf.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Back in the 1980s, the Beeb made a special recording of Berio's Sinfonia with the composer conducting the BBCPO, for use during a Composer of the Week. Berio said that the BBCPO was his specific choice for the job. I wonder if it has been archived and could be rebroadcast.

Comment

• Tevot
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Back in the 1980s, the Beeb made a special recording of Berio's Sinfonia with the composer conducting the BBCPO, for use during a Composer of the Week. Berio said that the BBCPO was his specific choice for the job. I wonder if it has been archived and could be rebroadcast.
                  I'd very much hope so Bryn.

Comment

Working...
                  X