• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    These have been suggested to me by someone:

Nos. 4 and 6 on Deutsche Grammophon DG 495 422-6 with the Cleveland Orchestra conducted by Pierre Boulez, released in 2002.

Loof Lirpa, for sure.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

I thought the dodgy sleeve and 495… number did not ring true and. Why had we not been aware of it earlier!

Could have been an interesting release however!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          I thought the dodgy sleeve and 495… number did not ring true and. Why had we not been aware of it earlier!

Could have been an interesting release however!
          And also somewhat more likely than Shirley Bassey's Four Last Songs
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

I believe the release date was April 1st.

Stranger things have happened, however, such as Toscanini conducting 'An American in Paris', and Fritz Reiner not only recording but commissioning Robert Russell Bennett's 'Symphonic Picture' on 'Porgy and Bess'. So he must have smiled once, at least.

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              I believe the release date was April 1st.

Stranger things have happened, however, such as Toscanini conducting 'An American in Paris', and Fritz Reiner not only recording but commissioning Robert Russell Bennett's 'Symphonic Picture' on 'Porgy and Bess'. So he must have smiled once, at least.
              Jeremy Nicholas,in The Gramophone wrote:
              “Which of these three great conductors said this: ‘My intention always has been to arrive at human contact without enforcing authority…The great mystery of music-making requires real friendship among those who work together…’? As sure as hell it wasn’t Evgeny Mravinsky (1903-88). In a head-to-head for Most Frightening Conductor, he would beat Fritz Reiner by a scowl. Unsmiling and austere, he is the thin-lipped, sadistic headmaster of your nightmares.”
              [ The answer to the question was the affable, collegiate, ever-smiling Guilini.]

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

Thanks, edashtav, I hadn't heard that. I admire the recordings of all three of the conductors mentioned there, and it's interesting to consider their different approaches.

Comment

• neiltingley
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  These have been suggested to me by someone:

Nos. 4 and 6 on Deutsche Grammophon DG 495 422-6 with the Cleveland Orchestra conducted by Pierre Boulez, released in 2002.

Good heavens!

Comment

• neiltingley
                    • Sep 2011

Or Glenn Gould's famous account of Rach 3 with the Canadian Northern Provinces Symphony from Nunavut.

Comment

• Master Jacques
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                      Jeremy Nicholas,in The Gramophone wrote:
                      “Which of these three great conductors said this: ‘My intention always has been to arrive at human contact without enforcing authority…The great mystery of music-making requires real friendship among those who work together…’? [...] [ The answer to the question was the affable, collegiate, ever-smiling Guilini.]
                      I think that's called "reverse psychology". Never trust the smile of the affable tiger....!

Comment

• akiralx
                        • Oct 2011

OT, but of the completely non-British recordings of Elgar's Second Symphony in my collection, i would place the Sydney SO/Ashkenazy above the Stockholm PO/Oramo.

Comment

• neiltingley
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by akiralx View Post
                          OT, but of the completely non-British recordings of Elgar's Second Symphony in my collection, i would place the Sydney SO/Ashkenazy above the Stockholm PO/Oramo.
                          Kind of on topic. There's a fab proms performance of In the South by Philly/Muti on Youtube.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

I was at this performance of A Sea Symphony in York Minster on Saturday.

choir,choral,society,sing,singing,classical,choral,york

The choir included members from Münster (York's twin city), who had given this (also joint) performance there earlier this year:

Dienstag, 10. September 2024 | Theater Münster, Großes Haus Mittwoch, 11.Sepember 2024 | Theater Münster, Großes Haus Sonntag 15. September 2024 | Theater Münst

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

That's good to hear, and a reminder that the Sea Symphony was first peformed in Yorkshire, at the 1910 Leeds Festival.

Comment

Working...
                              X