X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Klaus Tennstedt Biography

There's a biography of Klaus Tennstedt just been published: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klaus-Tenns...s%2C117&sr=1-3

I think it's fair to say that of all the great conductors I've seen it's still Tennstedt who I miss the most (and now along with Haitink). All of his concerts I attended weren't just mere concerts, they were major events. I remember going backstage after the 1988 Mahler 5 performance later issued on CD to find Tennstedt a terrible bundle of nerves, pacing up and down and with the inevitable cigarette.

This book will be going straight to the top of the tottering pile of those still to be read.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

From what I've heard he was a very interesting person, so there's plenty of scope for a fascinating book there.

Comment

• LHC
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      There's a biography of Klaus Tennstedt just been published: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klaus-Tenns...s%2C117&sr=1-3

I think it's fair to say that of all the great conductors I've seen it's still Tennstedt who I miss the most (and now along with Haitink). All of his concerts I attended weren't just mere concerts, they were major events. I remember going backstage after the 1988 Mahler 5 performance later issued on CD to find Tennstedt a terrible bundle of nerves, pacing up and down and with the inevitable cigarette.

This book will be going straight to the top of the tottering pile of those still to be read.
      Thanks for this Pet.

Like you, I attended many of his concerts with the LPO at the RFH and always found them intense and memorable occasions. I was also there for the Proms concert of Brahms 4 in 1987 with the LPO which James Loughran took over at very short notice when Tennstedt was unable to complete the rehearsal and had to pull out of the concert (IIRC he resigned as their Music Director immediately afterwards).

Book duly ordered.
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Thanks for the tip. My wife was born in Leipzig and I got to know the DDR in the 70s. The background detail as well as musical content should be fascinating. I found the German original (slightly cheaper!). https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/39107360...hk_typ_imgToDp

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Duly ordered and swiftly devoured. A fascinating and compelling read.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Duly ordered and swiftly devoured. A fascinating and compelling read.
            I have my copy but have decided to save it for my birthday in the first week of June.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

To my shame, I now don't remember who it was from the forum who very kindly sent me a copy of a broadcast performance of Tennstedt conducting Dessau's Bach Variations: I wonder if that piece/concert features in the biography. I wish he'd made a commercial recording of it.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

I completely agree about KT - and am very glad you posted about this new book, many thanks.

Similar memories here of unequalled concert electricity, and a post-concert encounter… I think because an old school friend played percussion in the LPO, I found myself going down in the artists’ lift, among others with Tennstedt. I can still see the flushed face and wild damp hair, and smell the mingled aroma of tobacco and (?)schnapps…
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                  • Nov 2010

Review of this bio by Paul Robinson at Classical Voice North America:

BOOK REVIEW – In his vivid book Klaus Tennstedt: Possessed by Music, author Georg Wübbolt describes how the celebrated conductor, born in East Germany, was his own worst enemy, wracked with self-doubt and given to extreme stage fright.

Comment

Working...
                  X