X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianoman
    • Jan 2013

Presto Streaming launches

Having used Presto for many years as my prime download and cd purchase outlet, they are now about to offer downloads for classical and jazz. The blurb promises that the artists will be fairly rewarded....
    It's not too bad starting at 10.99 and they do offer Hi-res....for those interested
    I really like the site, so may try the free month, but I wonder if they'll challenge the big players ?
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

Good on them. I'm slightly surprised that they haven't told their existing customer base - or maybe they have? - about it via e-mail. I need another streaming "go-to" like a hole in the head (to add to Qobuz and Tidal) but I'll certainly give it a try. The prices seem very reasonable to me as Pianoman suggests above so definitely worth a punt.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      Good on them. I'm slightly surprised that they haven't told their existing customer base - or maybe they have? - about it via e-mail. I need another streaming "go-to" like a hole in the head (to add to Qobuz and Tidal) but I'll certainly give it a try. The prices seem very reasonable to me as Pianoman suggests above so definitely worth a punt.
      I am a sporadic customer and receive emails...

...don't remember anything about this though:

Last edited by Old Grumpy; 22-02-23, 22:25.

Comment

• silvestrione
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        Regular customer here, and I have been emailed about it.

Have been using their 'My LIbrary' feature, where any CD or download purchased can be found, and played (free). Disappointed if that 'free' element is now to disappear. I discovered there a disc I was regretting having got rid of, and was able to play it again after all!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          I am a sporadicc customer and receive emails...

...don't remember anything about this though:

https://www.prestomusic.com/streaming
          The carefully worded claim regarding the payment the artist receives refers specifically to the mode of calculation (by the second). I think the likes of Bandcamp (for living artists) or QOBUZ might offer similar or higher absolute levels of remuneration to the artists.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Very interesting indeed. Presumably this is driven by the rise of revenue due to streaming and the continued decline of Physical Media, which had been Presto stock in trade

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I have purchased a lot from Presto over the years, recordings and some sheet music for our choir and been pleased with their service. The new stream is likely to be of high quality, but including only classical and jazz is surely a potential drawback. In their blurb they refer to other streamers being "diluted by other genres". I do want to listen to rock, folk, world music and so on and for me their not having this dilution would actually be a limitation.

Comment

• crb11
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                Regular customer here, and I have been emailed about it.

Have been using their 'My LIbrary' feature, where any CD or download purchased can be found, and played (free). Disappointed if that 'free' element is now to disappear. I discovered there a disc I was regretting having got rid of, and was able to play it again after all!
                My reading of the e-mail is that we can still access the previously purchased music for free. (The downside for me is having an app rather than being able to stream through the website - I can do the latter at work, but the former would violate our security policies.)

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Has anyone here signed up to Presto streaming? If so, are labels such as Hyperion included?

Comment

Working...
                  X