• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Gesualdo arr. Stravinsky

On Sunday Morning, Kate Molleson played a piece of Gesualdo finished (completed? Mucked-about-with?) by Stravinsky. I was really only half- awake, but can anyone supply any more info about this? I don't think the piece was one of Gesualdo's madrigals....was it Da Pacem?
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Presumably from his Monumentum pro Gesualdo di Venosa as CD annum.
    Three madrigals recomposed for instruments.
    1: Asciugate i begli occhi
    2: Ma tu, cagion di quella
    3: Beltà poi che t'assenti

Complementary to the Tres Sacrae Cantiones.

PS!
    Now that I've reread your post, much more likely to be the first of the three Tres Sacrae Cantiones.
    1: Da pacem Domine
    2: Assumpta est Maria
    3: Illumina nos

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

The listing says
      Igor Stravinsky
      Da pacem domine
      Choir: Collegium Vocale Gent. Conductor: Philippe Herreweghe.
      PHI.

Comment

• Rolmill
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        On Sunday Morning, Kate Molleson played a piece of Gesualdo finished (completed? Mucked-about-with?) by Stravinsky. I was really only half- awake, but can anyone supply any more info about this? I don't think the piece was one of Gesualdo's madrigals....was it Da Pacem?
        Yes, it was 'Da pacem Domine' according to the programme website - one of the three of Gesualdo's Sacrae Cantiones which were completed by IS in 1960. Apparently two of the original part-books were lost, hence the need for completion (albeit more of a re-composition in this case).

I have a nice CD recorded in 1994 by Trinity College, Cambridge choir conducted by Richard Marlow; it comprises IS's mass and Gesualdo's Responses for holy week, as well as this set of three completions.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

This will be the version played.

Stravinsky: Sacred Choral Works. Philips: 4544772. Buy Presto CD online. Rosemary Hardy (soprano), Ian Bostridge (tenor) Netherlands Chamber Choir, Reinbert de Leeuw

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            That's not the one in the listing?

Comment

• Rolmill
              • Nov 2010

The programme's music listing states the conductor as Philippe Herreweghe (as per #3 above), so I suspect the recording is:

Stravinsky: Threni - Requiem Canticles. PHI: LPH020. Buy CD or download online. Christina Landshamer (soprano), Ewa Wolak (contralto), Maximilian Schmitt (tenor) Collegium Vocale Gent & Royal Flemish Philharmonic, Philippe Herreweghe

Nicely sung, though somewhat slower than other versions I have heard.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                The programme's music listing states the conductor as Philippe Herreweghe (as per #3 above), so I suspect the recording is:

Stravinsky: Threni - Requiem Canticles. PHI: LPH020. Buy CD or download online. Christina Landshamer (soprano), Ewa Wolak (contralto), Maximilian Schmitt (tenor) Collegium Vocale Gent & Royal Flemish Philharmonic, Philippe Herreweghe

Nicely sung, though somewhat slower than other versions I have heard.

My mistake, confusing the choir and conductor names.
                I thought that there were other versions when I did the search on Presto.
                I have both!

PS. Not quite so !
                The Herreweghe only has Da pacem Domine on it (despite there being under 50 minutes of music on the CD), so it quite rightly doesn't feature as a result of a search for all three!
                Last edited by Pulcinella; 19-02-23, 16:38. Reason: PS added

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks for the info, folks.

Comment

Working...
                  X