X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    'Snowflakes are dancing' (Isao Tomita) - introduced me to Debussy's piano music!
    I wonder if it inspired some of the orchestral transcriptions of Debussy’s music!

Comment

• hmvman
      • Mar 2007

'Snowflakes are dancing' (Isao Tomita) - introduced me to Debussy's piano music!
      A great album, still enjoyed!

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

Yes, indeed, and does anyone remember his 'Planets' , which was issued and hastily withdrawn becuase the music was still copyright and no-one had asked permission to use it? I was told Imogen Holst called it 'sacrilege', though I enjoyed it myself.

And does anyone remember Walter Carlos' 'Pompous Circumstances' , a synthesiser send up of Elgar? It was intelligently done , as I recall, and quite fun for an Elgar fan to hear

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
          I can't understand why it's not on everyone's list!

Returning to the Carpenters, "Close to You" is beautiful but for me first place goes to "Goodbye to Love".
          The Carpenters would be in that list of music that I have never deliberately listened to , in part in their case because the singles were so often played on the radio.
          I might put that right.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Belgrove
            • Nov 2010

Blossom Dearie.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Charity shop purchases at 50p or less provided the perfect opportunity to see ‘what’s that like?’ eg I have accumulated over the years Christmas albums which have been surprisingly enjoyable - three good examples - Boney M (really good harmonies), Rod Stewart (some lovely arrangements and playing), Grimethorpe Colliery Band ( superb playing ).

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Merry Christmas Cloughmeister.

Might try a bit of Boney M later.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  Merry Christmas Cloughmeister.

Might try a bit of Boney M later.
                  And to you Alison - not looking good for the Foxes so far this afternoon!

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    Yes, indeed, and does anyone remember his 'Planets' , which was issued and hastily withdrawn becuase the music was still copyright and no-one had asked permission to use it? I was told Imogen Holst called it 'sacrilege', though I enjoyed it myself.

And does anyone remember Walter Carlos' 'Pompous Circumstances' , a synthesiser send up of Elgar? It was intelligently done , as I recall, and quite fun for an Elgar fan to hear
                    Interesting, I never heard about those Carlos recordings, despite being a big fan of his. Are they still available on CD, I wonder?

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                      I'm also a fan of vintage dance bands. Another 'weakness' is 'light music' - the sort written by Eric Coates, Leroy Anderson, Charles Williams et al.

A very Merry Christmas to all Forum members!
                      Snap, hmvman! My current dance band favourite recordings are those of Jack Hylton. And I've also discovered the prodigious comic output of Leslie Sarony, great stuff!

Comment

• RichardB
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2021

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                        Interesting, I never heard about those Carlos recordings, despite being a big fan of his. Are they still available on CD, I wonder?
                        It was originally issued on an album called By Request which contained this Elgar arrangement and some Bach, Tchaikovsky, a couple of pop songs and some early WC pieces in a more atonal style. She has rereleased all of her albums including various supplementary materials on CD and you can see the whole list here https://www.wendycarlos.com/discs.html

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

It was originally issued on an album called By Request which contained this Elgar arrangement and some Bach, Tchaikovsky, a couple of pop songs and some early WC pieces in a more atonal style. She has rereleased all of her albums including various supplementary materials on CD and you can see the whole list here https://www.wendycarlos.com/discs.html
                          Thankyou for this post, Richard.

It is 2022. Wendy Carlos began her transition in 1968. This was necessarily courageous and cost her much pain and anguish through the 1970s and beyond.
                          Calling her "Walter" and using male pronouns now, is insulting and upsetting.

Please everyone, show the essential respect to trans people and use their correct names and pronouns.

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 26-12-22, 19:05.

Comment

• Boilk
                            • Dec 2010

Same here! and by sheer coincidence I have it playing now.
                            This is quite bizarre...that Tomita album also introduced me to Debussy's piano music, and his later albums to Prokofiev's Violin Concerto No.1 and Symphony No. 5 (on the Bermuda Triangle release) and Ives's The Unanswered Question (Kosmos).

Radio 3 sometimes plays the Debussy electronic realisations and the Mussorgsky Ballet of the Chicks in their Shells, but I've never heard them broadcast Tomita's other stuff. The Ives realisation would go down well I think.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

For me, it's got to be Cream, fresh or otherwise, but always with Ginger.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                                This is quite bizarre...that Tomita album also introduced me to Debussy's piano music, and his later albums to Prokofiev's Violin Concerto No.1 and Symphony No. 5 (on the Bermuda Triangle release) and Ives's The Unanswered Question (Kosmos).

Radio 3 sometimes plays the Debussy electronic realisations and the Mussorgsky Ballet of the Chicks in their Shells, but I've never heard them broadcast Tomita's other stuff. The Ives realisation would go down well I think.
                                Debussy’s piano music is good but it is not like the real thing (Tomita)

His Villa-Lobos: Little train of the Caipira occasionally gets a play on R3.

I never realised there were so many closet Tomita fans around!

Comment

Working...
                                X