X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Unforeseen musical preferences

I was genuinely surprised - and rather delighted - that our resident ‘period’ recordings enthusiast MickyD likes the music of John Rutter.

Do you have any undisclosed musical preferences that might surprise forumistas?

Mine would be contemporary Christian soft rock (though I have mentioned in passing before )
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    I was genuinely surprised - and rather delighted - that our resident ‘period’ recordings enthusiast MickyD likes the music of John Rutter.

Mine would be contemporary Christian soft rock (though I have mentioned in passing before )
    Well I would be interested in hearing a sample of one of your favourite Christian Soft Rock songs Alison. I don’t know much about this genre, , though I do recall After the Fire back in the late 70s who, though maybe not what I call soft rock, were poppy and well thought of.

( Chatting to friends at a works do last week I mentioned Elvis Costello’s country album, and even the most knowledgeable were surprised to hear that he had done this album , so successfully, and at such an early point in his career. )

I’d say the music that I find myself surprised to be enjoying as much as I do these days is Big Band Jazz, EG Dankworth’s $1000000 collection or The New One! By Buddy Rich.
    Great big band arrangements can be just fantastic.
    Which wasn’t quite the reaponse you were looking for as I do occasionally post about this on the Jazz bored.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

I'm a long-term fan of Nelly Furtado, Regina Spektor and Josh Ritter. Don't ask me to 'rank' them vis-a-vis Haydn, Elgar or Tippett; I just enjoy listening to them occasionally.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

George Benson , Eydie Gormé , Led Zeppelin , Yes , The Who , Emerson Lake and Palmer, Frank Sinatra , Sammy Davis Junior, The Who. Anthony Newley …..

Comment

• RichardB
          Banned
          • Nov 2021

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Great big band arrangements can be just fantastic.
          Stockhausen would have agreed with you, a number of his compositions are quite perceptibly influenced by that sound.

I don't expect I could surprise anyone with an odd musical preference. Maybe the Carpenters would be unexpected enough...?

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
            Stockhausen would have agreed with you, a number of his compositions are quite perceptibly influenced by that sound.

I don't expect I could surprise anyone with an odd musical preference. Maybe the Carpenters would be unexpected enough...?
            Close To You and Her Alpert in This Guys In Love With You

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Fascinating. I fear my tastes are very narrow by comparison.

The Carpenters must have done a Christmas album.

Herb Alpert still alive :-)

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Oh, I'm full of surprises, Alison! I also have a weakness for musicals and vintage dance bands!

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Herb Alpert still alive :-)
                  At 87, yes - as is Burt Bacharach at 94 (the Carpenters did several of his songs).

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Im very fond of having Classic FM's Smooth Classics playing sotto voce after 2200, to help keep me calm in the difficult matter of putting some food together & facing up to it....
                    Especially so if Current Affairs TV is getting repetitive or just too upsetting or exhausting (Press Previews much preferred to the weary Newsnight now..)...

Mind you, Smooth-C can get a bit repetitive itself... Karl Jenkins, Einaudi etc.... so then (or whenever something called "Christ*** ***** comes on) its over to Night Waves....​Tom Allen was a lovely guest presenter the other night, gently tongue-in-cheek funny & quirky to suit the hour...

Classic FM at The Movies is good for me too, but I only enjoy film music if a) I don't know what's coming or just bump into it or b) while I'm watching the film itself...

Oh and, Opera Aria albums were something I'd never go near, but Bruno De Sá's Roma Travestita put a new needle in my arm, since refreshed by Julie Fuchs' Amadé.......
                    ....looking out for more now, for the bedroom thing....
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-12-22, 20:58.

Comment

• RichardB
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2021

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      Close To You and Her Alpert in This Guys In Love With You
                      yes indeed

Comment

• silvestrione
                        • Jan 2011

Richard Barrett I Open and Close

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Gordon Macrae for his voice and unmatched ability to phrase and bring R and H's lyrics to life. Sammy Davis Jnr and Jack Jones (no, not that one) for their fine musicianly qualities. Blossom Dearie for her understated simplicity and Judy Garland for her ability to touch your heart.

Comment

• makropulos
                            • Nov 2010

What a nice topic. Mine would include:
                            Earth, Wind and Fire
                            Manhattan Transfer
                            The Carpenters
                            ABBA
                            Al Jarreau
                            Linda Ronstadt

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Jayne and Smooth Classics? Now I’ve heard it all!

Another vote for the Carpenters.

So who owns the complete James Last oeuvre?

Comment

Working...
                              X