• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mal
    • Dec 2016

It's a film!

I wish they would stop listings like:

George Frideric Handel
    Sarabande from Suite HWV.437 (Main title to film Barry Lyndon)

This assumes we know the film, and that appearing as a supporting prop to the film is of main importance.

(Petroc just mentioned another piece as appearing in Barry Lyndon! Has he got shares in the film?)

Quick Google - Thackeray. Kubrick. "Barry Lyndon won four Oscars at the 48th Academy Awards: Best Scoring: Original Song Score and Adaptation or Scoring: Adaptation; Best Costume Design; Best Art Direction; and Best Cinematography. Although some critics took issue with the film's slow pace and restrained emotion, its reputation, like that of many of Kubrick's works, has grown over time."

Hmmm... OK... might be worth checking out...
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

I was disappointed by 'Barry Lyndon' after Kubrick's '2001'.

I especially dislike seeing

'Mozart : Concerto in C, K467 (Elvira Madigan)

...as if it were written for her. I think the dislike is from the implication of 'cultural relativism', which lead, among other things, to the 'Lacrimosa' from Mozart's Requiem used as the soundtrack to a n advert for toilet cleaner.

Comment

• RichardB
      Banned
      • Nov 2021

Of course each of Stanley Kubrick's films is sui generis, and anyone expecting him to follow up on one particular film with another in the same vein is bound to be disappointed. I think Barry Lyndon is just as much of a masterpiece as any of the others.

I imagine that most people who'd recognise that Handel Sarabande at all will associate it with the film. This includes me, and I know Handel's work reasonably well!

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Some time since I saw Barry Lyndon but I thought it terrific, music and all.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          I was disappointed by 'Barry Lyndon' after Kubrick's '2001'.

I especially dislike seeing

'Mozart : Concerto in C, K467 (Elvira Madigan)

...as if it were written for her. I think the dislike is from the implication of 'cultural relativism', which lead, among other things, to the 'Lacrimosa' from Mozart's Requiem used as the soundtrack to a n advert for toilet cleaner.
          Also pointless as hardly anyone remembers the film these days…

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Forgive me if I’ve written this anecdote before but it’s one of my favourites.

Geza Anda was appalled that his recording of K.467 had been used as a soundtrack to, in his opinion, a rather tawdry film. He complained bitterly to Deutsche Grammophon who owned the rights to the recording and he considered going to law to prevent this happening again.

However, in the meantime the Lp had sold in its tens of thousands and had ‘gone platinum’ and was starting to garner awards. And then Anda ‘s first royalty cheque arrived…

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

Geza Anda was appalled that his recording of K.467 had been used as a soundtrack to, in his opinion, a rather tawdry film. He complained bitterly to Deutsche Grammophon who owned the rights to the recording and he considered going to law to prevent this happening again.

However, in the meantime the Lp had sold in its tens of thousands and had ‘gone platinum’ and was starting to garner awards. And then Anda ‘s first royalty cheque arrived…
              If I remember correctly, the DG LP cover actually used a still from the film, too. Very unusual for DG to do that, but they weren't daft, they knew what would sell!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                If I remember correctly, the DG LP cover actually used a still from the film, too. Very unusual for DG to do that, but they weren't daft, they knew what would sell!
                My other favourite anecdote is that a friend of mine’s father had that Lp and had a real thing for the beautiful blonde lady, Geza Anda. Lo and behold, a recital was announced by said pianist at the Wigmore Hall. Friend’s father bought a front row ticket and was most disgruntled when a rather portly middle aged man appeared…

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

My other favourite anecdote is that a friend of mine’s father had that Lp and had a real thing for the beautiful blonde lady, Geza Anda. Lo and behold, a recital was announced by said pianist at the Wigmore Hall. Friend’s father bought a front row ticket and was most disgruntled when a rather portly middle aged man appeared…

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Not dissimilar to the reaction of Bobby Womack when the Rolling Stones decided they would like to cover his song “ Its all over now “.

Bobby Womack talks about how he felt when the Rolling Stones first covered the Valentinos' track, It's All Over Now. That is...until he saw the royalty check...

Great clip that.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• mikealdren
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                      I wish they would stop listings like:

George Frideric Handel
                      Sarabande from Suite HWV.437 (Main title to film Barry Lyndon)

This assumes we know the film, and that appearing as a supporting prop to the film is of main importance.

(Petroc just mentioned another piece as appearing in Barry Lyndon! Has he got shares in the film?)

Quick Google - Thackeray. Kubrick. "Barry Lyndon won four Oscars at the 48th Academy Awards: Best Scoring: Original Song Score and Adaptation or Scoring: Adaptation; Best Costume Design; Best Art Direction; and Best Cinematography. Although some critics took issue with the film's slow pace and restrained emotion, its reputation, like that of many of Kubrick's works, has grown over time."

Hmmm... OK... might be worth checking out...
                      Sadly Schubert's Eb trio is tarred with the same brush.

Comment

• arthroceph
                        • Oct 2012

Oh I don't think the film in brackets beside a piece is too bad. Worse would be if they put the name of an advert, such as
                        Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (Cadbury's Fruit and Nut)
                        or "As seen in advert, such and such"
                        Lucky we don't get that.
                        Great anecdote pastoralguy, thanks.

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

I think the 'harm' if it is harm is that people might associate the music only with the film and not listen to it in its own right. I accept that it's done as away of drawing in new listeners ('you liked the film, now hear the score') so maybe we shouldn't complain.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

I recall that the same Mozart piece from Piano Concerto 21 was also used by the Coal Board when they advertised in the 70s on ITV. To this day, when she hears it, my Mother still says 'oh, it's "come home to a real fire!". The power of advertising, eh, after all these years.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

The nature and the association of the attribution may jar but it's better that the composer's name and the work appears in some form, even if less than ideal, than not in my view. There have been occasions when credits for something I've seen on TV don't include any reference to the chunks of music not composed by the person whose name appears as composer on the credits. The phrasing that is also used "original music composed by..." isn't much better . It serves the purpose of deflecting a charge of appropriation of another's work, but doesn't inform the viewer, who quite possibly won't be able to differentiate between "original" and " borrowed", and there is no mention of any other composer involved.
                              Yes there will be those who may think that Mozart wrote the music for Elvira Madigan etc, but such misunderstandings/ignorance occurs across the board - not just in relation to classical music, and at least the connection exists between some music heard and the name of the composer.
                              The use of inappropriate music for adverts can be quite entertaining, and I sometimes wonder if deliberate mischief ever occurs - putting forward something as a suggestion knowing that those listening to it won't have a clue, nor be interested in, what it is, so long as it makes the sound they want.

Comment

Working...
                              X