X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Feb 2021

Rubinstein's decline

Sorry for the provocative title but I just listened to three recordings of op 48/1 (Chopin) and I have to say, I think that decline is the only word -- the thing becomes more and more mannered, and as it happens, slower and slower.

Ordered here by date ascending. I'd be interested to know whether others agree and whether the piano mavens think this is typical of his "development"

Provided to YouTube by NAXOS of AmericaNocturne in C Minor, Op. 48 No. 1: Nocturne No. 13 in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1 · Arthur RubinsteinChopin: Nocturnes and ...

Provided to YouTube by Ginkgo RubinsteinNocturne No. 13 in C Minor, Op. 48-1 · Arthur RubinsteinChopin: The Complete Nocturnes, Vol. 2℗ Crates Digger Music G...

HQ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6PGpn6Iw50g#t=3955sArthur Rubinstein - Chopin Nocturne Op. 48, No. 1 in C minor
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed that Rubinstein's playing declined in his later years: a useful comparison is his Bethoven Concertos with Leinsdorf and, later, Barenboim. In the latter set he's relaxed, genial ,and many enjoyed it who hadn't heard him give more engaged, serious performances earlier.

I thought he was still very good in November 1968 when I heard him do the Brahms D minor concerto with Colin Davis at the Royal Festival Hall . I suppose it's a sign of age when a performance you remember hearing live is issued on CD as a 'Historic recording' as this was , on BBC Legends!

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

And yet I found some magnificent concert recordings - an incandescent Chopin B flat minor sonata, I’m not sure of the date, certainly post war!

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

I like his Chopin Preludes, more than he did, apparently, as he asked RCA to omit them from the big Chopin/Rubinstein box they reissued in the 1970s.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

I saw one of his last concerts, in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Beethoven Piano Sonata Op.31/3 and Schumann Fantasiestucke (so.?) op.12 ( I think).. A.R. was visually impaired, had to be led on and off stage. No sheet music, everything from memory. It was probably my first exposure to those pieces (there were also some short Chopin works interspersed) and it was very formative for me. The finale of the Beethoven was especially impressive at that age

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

I have always loved those 1960s Rubinstein Chopin recordings . He recorded so much I only know some of his earlier work but if that was a pianist in decline he was still streets ahead of most others.

Comment

• silvestrione
              • Jan 2011

At his best as good as anybody, I think, though RCA unfortunately did not give him the best piano sound, IMHO.

I heard him three times in the 1970s, a recital, and Beethoven 5 plus Chopin encores, and Brahms 1 plus Chopin encores. Decline? Three of the most memorable concerts I've been to.

Comment

Working...
              X