X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Feb 2021

Old Mozart Piano Sonata Recordings.

I’ve really enjoyed going back to some old Mozart sonata recordings these past couple of weeks. It all started with Horowitz’s studio 333 - it’s full of life. Then there was Richter’s 310 from London in the 1980s - such distinctive and distinguished musicianship.

And this afternoon I dug out the very late recordings Landowska made, 1955 I think - clearly quirky, clearly an old person at the piano, and I would say clearly full of wisdom too.
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

I have a very good modem set of Mozart Piano Sonatas from Leon McCawley but I often return in preference to the beautifully lucid mid-60s Vox recordings from Walter Klien.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

I prefer Eschenbach, but the one that hate is Gould

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        I have a very good modem set of Mozart Piano Sonatas from Leon McCawley but I often return in preference to the beautifully lucid mid-60s Vox recordings from Walter Klien.
        Both very good, Leon McCawley is an interesting pianist whom I’ve seen a few times (good Davidsbundlertanze) - Walter Klien was an interesting pianist whom I never saw (good Chopin preludes)

Klien is in my mind a rival for top dog Mozartians of the 1960s to Lily Kraus. Or maybe that’s Walter Gieseking!
        Last edited by Mandryka; 27-07-22, 08:05.

Comment

• Mandryka
          • Feb 2021

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I prefer Eschenbach, but the one that hate is Gould
          Have you heard this early Gould recital? I don’t like the sonata much, but it seems OK and I think it’s hard to “hate” The Fantasia and Fugue seem to me more much more interesting, and certainly I can imagine some people will hate that performance, others will think it’s a force of nature - strong dynamic variation and motoric pounding of the pulse. (I’m in the latter camp.)

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
            Have you heard this early Gould recital? I don’t like the sonata much, but it seems OK and I think it’s hard to “hate” The Fantasia and Fugue seem to me more much more interesting, and certainly I can imagine some people will hate that performance, others will think it’s a force of nature - strong dynamic variation and motoric pounding of the pulse. (I’m in the latter camp.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SHENi6jdQQ8
            No, I did hear his cycle of recordings many years ago. Once was enough

Comment

• rauschwerk
              • Nov 2010

This thread has reminded me to review my recordings from the mono/78 eras. Just listened to José Iturbi in K332 (1937) and I can see why Julius Katchen thought him the greatest Mozart player of his generation. I recall being less impressed by his K331 but must give it another go. I have also:-

Eileen Joyce in K332 & 576
              Solomon in K331 & 576
              Haskil in K280
              Lipatti in K310

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

All Mozart piano sonatas are old.

Comment

• silvestrione
                  • Jan 2011

Wilhelm Backhaus is a pianist who seldom appeals to me, but I have always loved his recording of K. 331.

(pity no repeats though)

Comment

• Mandryka
                    • Feb 2021

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                    This thread has reminded me to review my recordings from the mono/78 eras. Just listened to José Iturbi in K332 (1937) and I can see why Julius Katchen thought him the greatest Mozart player of his generation. I recall being less impressed by his K331 but must give it another go. I have also:-

Eileen Joyce in K332 & 576
                    Solomon in K331 & 576
                    Haskil in K280
                    Lipatti in K310
                    Thanks for that. I have just discovered Iturbi - there’s some Mozart and some Chopin which I have lined up.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Seem to recall liking a first encounter with some Gilels I believe years ago. Will check next time I'm at my grandmother's.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        No, I did hear his cycle of recordings many years ago. Once was enough
                        I once walked out of the Classical Department in the much missed HMV shop in Princes Street, Edinburgh when Gould’s Mozart sonatas were on the rotation. Just horrible playing!

Comment

• Mandryka
                          • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                          Seem to recall liking a first encounter with some Gilels I believe years ago. Will check next time I'm at my grandmother's.
                          He certainly played Mozart with seriousness

Wolgang Amadeus MozartPiano sonata K.281I. Allegro 0:00II. Andante amoroso 7:56III. Rondo. Allegro 16:13Emil GilelsLive recording, Moscow, 5.I.1970

Here's Lili Kraus's vision for contrast

Wolfgang Amadeus MozartPiano sonata K.281I. Allegro 0:00II. Andante amoroso 3:07III. Rondo. Allegro 7:00Lili KrausStudio recording, Paris, II & III.1954

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

I wanted to get the Christian Blackshaw discs but they went out of print very quickly.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              I wanted to get the Christian Blackshaw discs but they went out of print very quickly.
                              Volume 1, though only Volume 1, is available to download from QOBUZ and probably other such providers.

Comment

Working...
                              X