X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
    Yea, think I got that wrong. Just something somebody told me once!
    Bet he could play the so-called Minute Waltz, though!...

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      Great list from Mandryka above.

In addition to the recommendable complete Brahms Lied editions from cpo (well-priced at jpc) and Brilliant Classics which I have and Hyperion which I do not. Naxos have just started one with an excellent new recording from Christoph Prégardien.

The good value 6 CD Fischer-Dieskau set on Brilliant Classics with various pianists, including the 1970 HMV Schöne Mageloneis with Sviatoslav Richter, is still available second hand: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brahms-Fisc...s=music&sr=1-1

I really enjoy Alexander Kipnis in Brahms and have a fine selection on Preiser: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alexander-K...%2C1842&sr=8-1

I second Bernarda Fink and Roger Vignoles mentioned above and also recommend the Jessye Norman twofer with Barenboim: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...-brahms-lieder

Mitsuko Shirai with Hartmut Holl is another favourite https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...-brahms-lieder.
      Pregardien did an excellent Magelone with Vanessa Redgrave. I like his voice very much, in Rihm for example. I’ve been enjoying the op 86 on his new Naxos CD.

Bernarda Fink’s voice is just not my cup of tea.

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        It's years since I thought about this - but I think the Liebeslieder Waltzes Op 52 (also Neue Liebeslieder Walzer Op 65) are worth hearing.Probably not great music, but pleasant to listen to.

There are several good versions I think, including:

Barbara Bonney, Anne Sofie von Otter, Kurt Streit, Olaf Bär on Warner Classics

At one time I think we had this one:

Edith Mathis & Brigitte Fassbaender & Peter Schreier & Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau & Karl Engel & Wolfgang Sawallisch on DG, which was probably a strong recommendation at the time.

There is also this - https://youtu.be/wVFtYwA6wRE An die Nachtigall, op. 46 n. 4

and this https://youtu.be/dGd7Ic7pi4U by Jonas Kaufmann. I went looking for Elisabeth Schumann - but Kaufmann is much better to my ears.
        Fassbaender’s collection of lieder with Irwin Gage is exceptional IMO! I am bracing myself to experience her Zigeunerlieder today,

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

In my 20's, I listened to Fisher Dieskau, Gerald Moore at the Salzburg Festival 1957-65 on this disc of Brahms from Orfeo. I played it quite a lot, enjoyed it very much, and will seek it out again, having been reminded of it.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
            Pregardien did an excellent Magelone with Vanessa Redgrave. I like his voice very much, in Rihm for example. I’ve been enjoying the op 86 on his new Naxos CD.

Bernarda Fink’s voice is just not my cup of tea.
            Yes, I have that version by Prégardien, but with the spoken words in German by Senta Berger. Accompanied by Andreas Staier on an 1847 Streicher from the Edwin Beunk collection.

Comment

• Mandryka
              • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Barbara Bonney, Anne Sofie von Otter, Kurt Streit, Olaf Bär on Warner Classics

Fabulous. Totally life enhancing. Thanks.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Hans Hotter deserves a mention with many fine renditions - the wartime Berlin recordings with the indefatigable Michael Raucheisen and post-war Abbey Road recordings with Gerald Moore, which I have just listened to again with great pleasure via the Hotter EMI Icon set.

Comment

• LHC
                  • Jan 2011

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Margaret Price. Her two recordings of Brahms lieder with James Lockhart (on Orfeo) and Graham Parsons (RCA) are both very good. The RCA set with Graham Parsons especially so.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Mandryka
                    • Feb 2021

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    Hans Hotter deserves a mention with many fine renditions - the wartime Berlin recordings with the indefatigable Michael Raucheisen and post-war Abbey Road recordings with Gerald Moore, which I have just listened to again with great pleasure via the Hotter EMI Icon set.
                    I have a Testament recording with Brahms and Schubert and Loewe which I like very much - but my main reason for posting is to recommend enthusiastically his Wolf on Testament. The old recording of Brahms with Ich Habe Genüg on EMI References is, of course, a classic!

Comment

• Mandryka
                      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                      I'm surprised no one has mentioned Margaret Price. Her two recordings of Brahms lieder with James Lockhart (on Orfeo) and Graham Parsons (RCA) are both very good. The RCA set with Graham Parsons especially so.

Just a great great singer! Siren song, she was a living siren. The Brahms sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it. I’d go as far as to say that if I could only have one Brahms song recording, I’d choose the Price/Lockhart cd.

What is the Parsons recording with her singing Brahms? I can see one with Graham Johnson which I’ve never heard.
                      Last edited by Mandryka; 25-06-22, 10:21.

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

Tiana Lemnitz is good, I'm enjoying the Brahms and Wolf here. Humanity somehow in the voice, vulnerability.

Someone said to me she recorded O Wüßt ich doch den Weg zurück but I can't find it anywhere.

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

It's a man's song, really, I think.

I didn't know Lemnitz had recorded any Brahms. She's not in the big 'HMV Treasury' box issued about 40 years ago. I treasure her Wolf and her Pamina.

Comment

• Mandryka
                            • Feb 2021

Johannes Brahms - Lieder; Bethany Beardslee, soprano, Richard Goode, piano. Recorded June 1986 in the Chapel at Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA. From the archives of Bethany Beardslee. 19 Songs:

The link is to Bethany Beardslee singing 19 Brahms songs with Richard Goode. More than on the release on Bridge. Nice!

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

Glad to see Bethany Beardslee mentioned. I didn't know she'd recorded any Brahms. She was best known for very difficult modern music. I think that , like another underrated soprano, Marni Nixon, she had perfect pitch.

I haven't checked if anyone's mentioned Gustav Walter who recorded a few Brahms Lieder . He was the same generation as the composer and knew him personally .

Comment

Working...
                              X