X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Lovely shiny things

The fashion, certainly in the rock and pop world, is for expensive, expanded, exclusive sets. Re Made, Re Modelled , one might say. A great way of getting the affluent middle aged to part with their boomer cash, and , I suppose, keep younger people in work, and old stars in comfort.
    Ludicrous though they are in some ways, such as the $1969 Woodstock 35 cd set, they can be very tempting.

This one, based on a favourite album of mine, caught my eye. Don’t need it, could afford it,but most significantly maybe, FOMO is pushing me towards the” Buy” button . One day I may regret not going for it, as I did with the complete Alex Harvey box a few years ago. And the consumer urges are strong

Anyway, more interestingly,is there anything shiny, expensive, overblown that you’d hate to miss out on ?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

I don't know about overblown, but the recent DG/Decca Boulez box was certainly shiny and the way I ended up having to pay meant it was expensive! But I didn't want to miss out on it, it's a nice thing to have.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      I don't know about overblown, but the recent DG/Decca Boulez box was certainly shiny and the way I ended up having to pay meant it was expensive! But I didn't want to miss out on it, it's a nice thing to have.
      "Expensive" hits the nail on the head where I am concerned. I already have all but a very few of the discs (both CD and DVD) and can live without the material new to digital disc format. There again, at a pro-rata price of around £1.75, those without many of the included discs included should not hold back.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        There again, at a pro-rata price of around £1.75, those without many of the included discs included should not hold back.

That included me - though stupidly buying direct from DG meant a somewhat higher pro-rata price, I think.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Idly rummaging around Amazon looking for CD sets as a present to self for my upcoming birthday, I came across a live 1977 BPO/Karajan Beethoven Symphony cycle given in Tokyo and issued by DG for the Japanese market. I gulped at the price of £139 but I couldn't 'unsee' it and just had to have it, despite already having more Beethoven symphony sets than the cat had kittens.

Sets like this have a habit of disappearing so, using part of a very nice recent Premium Bonds win, I clicked on the 'buy' button. It arrived from Japan within a week and will be opened up this weekend.

My philosophy is: if you can afford it, get it. If you don't, you will regret it. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be looking in the first place!

Here's the link if anyone wants to have a look, though I see the price has come down a little since I got it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Last edited by Petrushka; 03-06-22, 09:38.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Idly rummaging around Amazon looking for CD sets as a present to self for my upcoming birthday, I came across a live 1977 BPO/Karajan Beethoven Symphony cycle given in Tokyo and issued by DG for the Japanese market. I gulped at the price of £139 but I couldn't 'unsee' it and just had to have it, despite already having more Beethoven symphony sets than the cat had kittens.

Sets like this have a habit of disappearing so, using part of a very nice recent Premium Bonds win, I clicked on the 'buy' button. It arrived from Japan within a week and will be opened up this weekend.

My philosophy is: if you can afford it, get it. If you don't, you will regret it. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be looking in the first place!

Here's the link if anyone wants to have a look, though I see the price has come down a little since I got it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            Enjoy your purchase Pet. Good philosopy , if I may say so. And a wise way to spend your windfall.

( I find that those £25 premium bond wins go a long way, often being spent several times )
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

I’ve seen this a few times and have been tempted since I believe the Karajan in the studio was different from his live performances. Please let us know what you think, Pet.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Not really my sort of thing, but it wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. Question is, would you play the CDs, or keep the boxes in pristine unopened condition?

Now if the decimal point in the price were further over to the right I would seriously start to question your sanity - or at least try to dissuade you.

It is getting more difficult with some CDs or boxed collections now, as companies are shifting to streaming and downloads - which I don't really want. As a result I have to look for 2nd hand discs and sets sometimes.

I wish I'd bought the Vienna PO anniversary box - though I did get the Berlin set.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

How I wish I had ordered more than one copy of this from Browns when they were selling them for just under £180 (including p&p) back in December 2017:

Still, I did order one, plus a lazy Susan to sit it on.

I do, however, have a couple of unopened English editions (purchased for £174.29 each) of:

Which I really should get round to putting up for sale (though not the one I got earlier at a higher price.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Not really my sort of thing, but it wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. Question is, would you play the CDs, or keep the boxes in pristine unopened condition?

Now if the decimal point in the price were further over to the right I would seriously start to question your sanity - or at least try to dissuade you.

It is getting more difficult with some CDs or boxed collections now, as companies are shifting to streaming and downloads - which I don't really want. As a result I have to look for 2nd hand discs and sets sometimes.

I wish I'd bought the Vienna PO anniversary box - though I did get the Berlin set.
                    Oh I’d play them Dave. That’s what they are for. And I’m really bad at keeping things pristine anyway

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      How I wish I had ordered more than one copy of this from Browns when they were selling them for just under £180 (including p&p) back in December 2017:

Still, I did order one, plus a lazy Susan to sit it on.

I do, however, have a couple of unopened English editions (purchased for £174.29 each) of:

Which I really should get round to putting up for sale (though not the one I got earlier at a higher price.
                      How many ears have you got? Or does your CD player wear them out?

We also have the Mozart box, which I really should open. How much do they sell for now?

What about the Bach 333 edition? Or the somewhat cheaper Berlioz set. ASIN ‏ : ‎ B07JZB1VWN

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Actually I've recently been tempted by this Beethoven set:

Label ‏ : ‎ Warner Classics
                        ASIN ‏ : ‎ B07X7D9W6N

You can find it on Amazon. At around £80 it seems to me to have mostly decent performances, as well as some interesting and unusual works.

Comment

• hmvman
                          • Mar 2007

I'm tempted by this:

John Adams - Collected Works. Nonesuch: 7559793229. Buy 40 CDs or download online. John Adams

...But I've already got the 'Earbox' which contains a lot of the works.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Just for a bit of completeness thread-wise, I did finally shell out for the Red Noise box set that prompted it, which I had on release day.
                            I probably could have invested the money “ better” on other CDs, but it is a lovely thing to have, and I don’t regret it at all.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              How many ears have you got? Or does your CD player wear them out?

We also have the Mozart box, which I really should open. How much do they sell for now?

What about the Bach 333 edition? Or the somewhat cheaper Berlioz set. ASIN ‏ : ‎ B07JZB1VWN
                              Yes, I got just one copy of each of the 333 and Berlioz boxes, both purchased at seriously discounted prices. As to the extra Mozart 225 boxes. They were so very heavily discounted in price I thought, "they are bound to aopreciate in value if left unopened".

Oh, and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-225-...ps%2C78&sr=8-5

Comment

Working...
                              X