Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

There are other instances of this. Schoenberg abandoned his second Chamber Symphony and returned to it 30 years later. And Schubert completed the first twelve songs of Die Winterrreise before he even discovered the poems of the other twelve.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
      As everyone knows, Beethoven wrote some variations in 1819, and then left the project for a few years. The 1819 version -- if it can be called that -- is on record here on Track 9 disc 1 here

It's very stylishly and elegantly and expressively and intimately played by Jan Michaels, a new name for me, but I intend to explore some of his other recordings.

He realized different complete cycles: all Beethoven sonatas, all pianoworks of Schoenberg, Webern and Berg and the complete chamber music with piano of Johannes Brahms.

I can't help but think that The Diabelli Variations is like AoF in a way, in that the composer put the project aside for a considerable amount of time before returning to it. In the case of AoF I always feel that the best music came later, and recordings which just cover the earlier fugues leave out my favourite music.

I don't know if I feel like that about the Diabelli Variations.
      Also on QOBUZ, I was glad to find. Do you have the discs? If so, how useful is the booklet and what does the DVD present?

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

I'll send you a PM.

I came across it because I've started to explore David Gorton's music. I haven't heard all the new variations yet, but so far I very much enjoyed the one by Bart Vanhecke.

Comment

• Mandryka
          • Feb 2021

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          There are other instances of this.
          I knew there would be!

Comment

• Lordgeous
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
            Stephen B Kovacevich (Philips) is magnificent, much prefered to his later version, though that's also pretty good. Wonderful piece, following Beethoven's train of thought as the work progresses is fascinating.
            Agreed. I've never felt the need to explore elsewhere. He carries the listener (well THIS listener) from start to end in one magnificent structure. I bought the Onyx too but think the earlier Phillips superior.
            Last edited by Lordgeous; 06-10-22, 19:35.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

I'll send you a PM.

I came across it because I've started to explore David Gorton's music. I haven't heard all the new variations yet, but so far I very much enjoyed the one by Bart Vanhecke.
              Thanks. It turns out that the QOBUZ version only has short clips from the new items, though the 1819 version with Jan Michiels has all 29 minutes and 27 seconds odd. Very strange. I see that Jan Michiels has also recorded the complete Op. 120, along with a few by other composers, for MDG. I will investigate that, too.

Comment

• Mandryka
                • Feb 2021

You can hear the whole Cd on bandcamp (I think)

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

My ears started to prick up in var 6. Madge’s idea seems to be that one of the strengths of the music is in the counterpoint, and that’s interesting I think. For me this one was put in the shade a bit by Uchida’s release, Madge’s came out in Autumn 2022 when I was thinking most about Uchida. That was a shame, because we have something original here. It’s a “thoughtful” interpretation - he definitely does not see the music as a vehicle for displaying the piano player’s skills, or for wowing the listener with speed or colour. It’s streaming everywhere.

If anyone has the booklet - is there anything interesting in it?

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

My ears started to prick up in var 6. Madge’s idea seems to be that one of the strengths of the music is in the counterpoint, and that’s interesting I think. For me this one was put in the shade a bit by Uchida’s release, Madge’s came out in Autumn 2022 when I was thinking most about Uchida. That was a shame, because we have something original here. It’s a “thoughtful” interpretation - he definitely does not see the music as a vehicle for displaying the piano player’s skills, or for wowing the listener with speed or colour. It’s streaming everywhere.

If anyone has the booklet - is there anything interesting in it?
                    I hadn't heard of him before but look forward to streaming his performance.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      I hadn't heard of him before but look forward to streaming his performance.
                      Tends to be associated with the works of the likes of Busoni and Sorabji.

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

http://www.sorabji-archive.co.uk/performers/madge.php
                        That may have been true, but I’m not sure it’s true any more. His Art of Fugue is well worth hearing, I can’t think of a more interesting one on modern piano. And I just noticed he’s released a Goldberg Variations too.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

http://www.sorabji-archive.co.uk/performers/madge.php
                          As the article notes, he's a hero to Skalkottas and Skalkottians, with all three Piano Concertos recorded for BIS - including the epically demanding 65-minute 3rd with Wind Orchestra....... (hand on heart, not my first choice for the work, but the point is he did it and did it first....)...

Comment

• Mandryka
                            • Feb 2021

Gerard Willems. The piano is of course special, it's not just large, but it's also colourful with a distinct timbres in the registers. Nothing steely about the tone. Willems can drive it - he can play delicately and forcefully. It's well recorded. One to know for sure.

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

... as opposed to Gerrard Williams, of course! (q.v.)

I've always found the Diabellis a bit off-putting compared with the sonatas. Is it the length or the variation form? I'm not fond of Brahms/Handel for the samw reason. But they ceratnly attract pianists: Katchen, Kovacevitch, Anda and Cooper (Imogen) have all done superb versions .

Comment

Working...
                              X