Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Feb 2021

I like quite a few of the Mozart violin sonatas, especially very early in the morning, with the first coffee of the day. Mozart and Schubert violin sonatas in fact. The one I like most is this

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Anyone hear the Manchester Camarata Mozart concert this evening?

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

I'm giving the Schiff CD referred to earlier in this thread a spin. K 545, which opens the disc, will also open the inaugural gig for Iklectik's Broadwood 200 on March 17th, that choice because the late Carole Finner, to whose memory the piano is to be dedicated, was trying to learn it prior to her Covid-19 related death on March 20th 2020. It will be played on at Iklectik by Michael Chant, her ex. Ironically, the Rondo in A minor which follows the K, 545 on the disc is one of the very few Mozart works I have ever heard John Tilbury play in concert (Conway Hall in a mainly Christain Wolff programme). John will follow Michael Chant's opening performance with a set including the premiere of a work for Bass Flute (Carla Rees) and piano. More details nearer the date. I understand that Sunday Morning's Sarah Walker and Composer Hugh Shrapnel were rehearsing their piano duo contribution to the March 17th event today.

Comment

• rauschwerk
          • Nov 2010

Piano sonatas of Mozart's era were written to be played in private as much as to be performed in public. I have played all of Mozart's for my own pleasure, but performed only a few. I haven't gone out of my way to collect recordings of the cycle, so have just a few versions by various excellent pianists: Solomon (K331, 576), Lipatti (K310), José Iturbi (K331,332), Eileen Joyce (K331, 576), Clara Haskil (K280) and Mitsuko Uchida (K330).

Note to self - must get a modern version of the great C minor sonata K 459. Brautigam looks like a good bet.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I'm giving the Schiff CD referred to earlier in this thread a spin.
            Bryn, what do you make of the Gigue K574? A curious work. I see a pianist, Peter Walker, identifies it as Mozart's tribute to Bach in its relationship to the B minor Fugue of Book 1 of the Well Tempered Clavier. Given that it was dashed off while Mozart was briefly in Leipzig and written down in the notebook of the Leipzig court organist, Engel, that adds to its interest. A lot seems to have been written about the piece - not bad for something less than 2 minutes long.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Bryn, what do you make of the Gigue K574? A curious work. I see a pianist, Peter Walker, identifies it as Mozart's tribute to Bach in its relationship to the B minor Fugue of Book 1 of the Well Tempered Clavier. Given that it was dashed off while Mozart was briefly in Leipzig and written down in the notebook of the Leipzig court organist, Engel, that adds to its interest. A lot seems to have been written about the piece - not bad for something less than 2 minutes long.

I have to admit that it is not a piece I have ever given much attention to. A sort of musical entry in a visitors book. It is a little gem, though. No wonder Tchaikovsky was so taken with it.

Comment

• Mandryka
                • Feb 2021

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                Note to self - must get a modern version of the great C minor sonata K 459. Brautigam looks like a good bet.
                Do you mean K457?

Comment

• rauschwerk
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                  Do you mean K457?
                  Indeed I do!

Comment

• Mandryka
                    • Feb 2021

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                    Indeed I do!
                    I know this is not what you want to hear, but I think this is exceptional. Heidsieck in the Toshiba studios in Tokyo in 1970 -- impeccable sound even by today's standards -- expressive and organic performance, without intrusive rubato, often quite incandescent, he was obviously in a good mood that day -- impossible to find as far as I can see. I can let you have the files if you want. Accept no imitations, his performance on Naive is not so interesting IMO

(Maybe the same as this

)
                    Last edited by Mandryka; 26-01-22, 10:31.

Comment

Working...
                    X