• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
    I also keep Elgar and Britten separate from the rest of English music.
    Interestingly, I don't have a category "English music". (But then I don't have much Elgar and Britten either).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Interestingly, I don't have a category "English music". (But then I don't have much Elgar and Britten either).
      No Rafe then?

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Ah, welcome to Playlistworld (aka Breakfast).

You can programme CDs as well, but not to the extent you can have Popeye in the middle of Der Rosenkavelier.
        You can with my six stack Pioneer - if only I had Popeye - I’ll have to put in Mouldy Old Dough instead!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          You can with my six stack Pioneer - if only I had Popeye - I’ll have to put in Mouldy Old Dough instead!
          Not really much competition for a 12TB hard drive loaded with FLAC downloads, though my largest are each a mere 5TB and easily pocketable.

Comment

• RichardB
            Banned
            • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
            Because they are essentially European?
            Or can’t stand them ?
            Because I don't have any!

Just for clarity, we don't have an "English music" section either, although of course there is a certain amount of English music on the shelves. We do have a "harp music" section; I counselled against it but I was overruled.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

No Rafe then?
              Yes, but he goes with late 19th-20th c. - usually excluding people like Webern, Schoenberg, Berg, Stockhausen and a few others who I group with them. It's all about 'perceptions', isn't it? I also 'came by' some lesser known (to me) people like Alan Charlton, Ian Krouse, Steven R Gerber. Rafe goes with people like Sibelius. It's all quite erratic.

I briefly had the idea of shelving my books in chronological order, by the author's date of birth. I could never find anything because I couldn't remember anyone's date of birth, but Latin, French and Spanish texts are on separate shelves. So are history, novels in English/translation, and some random music books (Mozart, Grove, Rameau's Treatise on Harmony, Simpson on The Symphony vol 2, Nichol's Ravel Remembered, Counterpoint for Beginners - you know, usual stuff).
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                Because I don't have any!

Just for clarity, we don't have an "English music" section either, although of course there is a certain amount of English music on the shelves. We do have a "harp music" section; I counselled against it but I was overruled.
                The English music section is not a form of early Brexiteering but because I found myself using a lot professionally and found it easier to grab a whole double fistful to listen through rather than search through the whole lot …

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Not really much competition for a 12TB hard drive loaded with FLAC downloads, though my largest are each a mere 5TB and easily pocketable.
                  Yes but I just want to listen not spend my time downloading, uploading, backing up, streaming, screaming and shouting at a computer thatbsays a simple download can’t be done via WMA. I don’t want to take the FLAC or ger on the QUO BUS. Give me the simple life!
                  How much of all you’ve got on your 12TB are you going to find time to listen to.
                  Yes you’ve heard it all before - and no doubt you’ll tell me it is all easy to do.

Happiness is a CD of Barbirolli’s Elgar 1st - now where did I put that CD?
                  Last edited by cloughie; 30-12-21, 20:57.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Happiness is a CD of Barbirolli’s Elgar 1st - now where did Input that CD?
                    I agree, but which one on the three?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      I did have teenage pop records but got rid of them all.
                      I didn't... and, though enjoying this thread, was hesitating to join in until I read the above. I hardly ever listen to current pop music but still appreciate the 60s pop of my youth as much as I ever did and I hope the person I was then never quite goes away, and not just for nostalgic reasons. For me, Sixties Pop is a worthy song sub-genre of its own in its directness, vitality, singability, danceability, rebelliousness, fun, humour, catchiness and diversity, from Masters of War to Lily the Pink, and song in all its manifestations remains my favourite genre whether madrigal, Mussorgsky, Manfred Mann or Mahler. Dylan, Dowland or Debussy. Porter or Prokofiev. Ives or Ivor Cutler.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        I didn't... and, though enjoying this thread, was hesitating to join in until I read the above. I hardly ever listen to current pop music but still appreciate the 60s pop of my youth as much as I ever did and I hope the person I was then never quite goes away, and not just for nostalgic reasons. For me, Sixties Pop is a worthy song sub-genre of its own in its directness, vitality, singability, danceability, rebelliousness, fun, humour, catchiness and diversity, from Masters of War to Lily the Pink, and song in all its manifestations remains my favourite genre whether madrigal, Mussorgsky, Manfred Mann or Mahler. Dylan, Dowland or Debussy. Porter or Prokofiev. Ives or Ivor Cutler.
                        Agreed . Found myself listening to Please Please Me (remastered) last week on Qubuz …

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

For me, Sixties Pop is a worthy song sub-genre of its own in its directness, vitality, singability, danceability, rebelliousness, fun, humour, catchiness and diversity, from Masters of War to Lily the Pink, and song in all its manifestations remains my favourite genre whether madrigal, Mussorgsky, Manfred Mann or Mahler. Dylan, Dowland or Debussy. Porter or Prokofiev. Ives or Ivor Cutler.
                          Anything but that.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Anything but that.
                            I can still remember most of the lyrics ….my word there was some terrible stuff in the sixties …

Comment

• RichardB
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2021

Sixties Pop is a worthy song sub-genre of its own in its directness, vitality, singability, danceability, rebelliousness, fun, humour, catchiness and diversity, from Masters of War to Lily the Pink
                              Yes indeed. I don't feel I need to listen to those songs very much though, every detail of them was burned into my mind through constant rotation on the radio!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

though enjoying this thread, was hesitating to join in until I read the above
                                That's what discussion should be about, isn't it? The good thing about this forum is that it isn't an echo chamber. I'm not sure, but I think I may have left pop before some of the really interesting stuff came on the scene. For some reason, remembering recently a holiday I had with my family in Weston-super-Mare triggered a memory of the Drifters' then current hit 'Save the Last Dance for Me' which I now see was revived by a Person by the Name of Michael Bublé On the whole I went for what was, I suppose, folk rock, with groups like the Springfields, the Seekers and the Mudlarks ("Their name is Mudd"). Not sure that any of them were worth remembering.

Comment

Working...
                                X