• Lordgeous
    • Dec 2012

Pavarotti Documentary

Did anyone watch? Impressions?
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
    Did anyone watch? Impressions?
    Bit of a PR job wasn’t it ? But in its own way riveting… for all the wrong reasons .
    But what a voice …

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      Bit of a PR job wasn’t it ? But in its own way riveting… for all the wrong reasons .
      But what a voice …
      Thoroughly fascinating - he certainly had winning ways - opera star or pop star - could he do crossover - yes and no - he did his own thing and mostly singing opera arias but often in an arena scenario - and he was good at it - not sure about his U2 connection though!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

A great voice and of cours he was a serious artist. I didn't get to the end but will finish watching the program. Not sure it would win an award in the documentary maker stakes - at times it was a mish mash - no doubt in part using the available film and interviewees.

I only saw him live once, before his stage appearances in the UK were no more.

Performers who have never rehearsed and performed a complete opera, nor completed a production run are not "opera singers" but for me they are "arena performers". Admittedly Pavarotti became such in the latter part of his life, but he had enough prior solid achievement, surely, for his standing in the hall of legendary opera singers to be secure.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I watched this unexpectedly, and was quite fascinated by it and him. I knew nothing of his personal life before, but was especially glad he had given much of his personal wealth to charitable causes.

Comment

• Lordgeous
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            I watched this unexpectedly, and was quite fascinated by it and him. I knew nothing of his personal life before, but was especially glad he had given much of his personal wealth to charitable causes.
            Agreed. It was heartening to see someone use their wealth and succees to help others. Do I remember there was trouble with the tax authorities and squabbles about his will? Lots of interesting comments on Slipped Disc. Didn't know he was once banned from Covent Garden!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
              Agreed. It was heartening to see someone use their wealth and succees to help others. Do I remember there was trouble with the tax authorities and squabbles about his will? Lots of interesting comments on Slipped Disc. Didn't know he was once banned from Covent Garden!
              Was that for constant no shows ? He had quite a few health problems….

Comment

• Lordgeous
                • Dec 2012

Apparently, In this instance he had reported sick but a photo was discovered of him cavorting on a tropical beach with a young lady!

Correction.

"John Tooley, Covent Garden’s old-Guards administrator, huffed and puffed about contract violation. Luciano said he’d never sing at Covent Garden again."

Comment

• ChandlersFord
                  • Dec 2021

I recommend his ex-manager Herbert Breslin’s book, Pavarotti & Me. It’s hilarious!

Not much time for Pavarotti. He began as a serious artist but became a vulgar crowd-pleaser. The Three Tenors look a shabby trio from the perspective of 2021.

Comment

Working...
                  X