• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichardB
    Banned
    • Nov 2021

Originally posted by ChandlersFord View Post
    Saddest music ever is surely ‘gangsta rap’.
    I'm sure every generation for the last few decades has thought a similar thing about the music young people think is cool, and what the older generation think it seems to be about is actually only a small part of what it's about to those who listen to it. In a wider sense, if we as people of a certain age want to understand the young, which is surely desirable, especially for those involved in educating them, dismissing their music isn't exactly a helpful step to take, is it?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
      In a wider sense, if we as people of a certain age want to understand the young, which is surely desirable, especially for those involved in educating them, dismissing their music isn't exactly a helpful step to take, is it?
      One is surely allowed to have an opinion about it without confronting anyone with an opinion about their favourite music? 'Getting down with the kids', 'dad dancing' - both phrases which illustrate the obvious differences in generational attitudes. I know very little about the under 30s and don't 'need' to know anything. I do observe the thirty and forty-somethings being very judgemental about older people so I fear 'not understanding older people' is as natural as 'not understanding younger people'. Thinking about it, I'm not sure we need to 'understand' everyone else: merely be tolerant of our differences.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• RichardB
        Banned
        • Nov 2021

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I know very little about the under 30s and don't 'need' to know anything. (...) Thinking about it, I'm not sure we need to 'understand' everyone else: merely be tolerant of our differences.
        Here I'm reminded of these words from Jeremy Corbyn in another context: "I don’t like the word tolerance. I don’t tolerate somebody. I respect somebody, I work with somebody, I love somebody. I don’t like the idea I’ve got to tolerate them because they’re a different faith. No, respect is a much better way."

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Here I'm reminded of these words from Jeremy Corbyn in another context: "I don’t like the word tolerance. I don’t tolerate somebody. I respect somebody, I work with somebody, I love somebody. I don’t like the idea I’ve got to tolerate them because they’re a different faith. No, respect is a much better way."
          I didn't mention tolerating people, but being tolerant, not picking arguments, not getting angry or abusive, just because people think differently. "Tolerant n. One who tolerates opinions or practices different from his own; one free from bigotry".

Mr Corbyn's quote interprets the word in a rather narrow way, in my opinion. 'Being tolerant' is the opposite of 'being intolerant'.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

I didn't mention tolerating people, but being tolerant, not picking arguments, not getting angry or abusive, just because people think differently. "Tolerant n. One who tolerates opinions or practices different from his own; one free from bigotry".

Mr Corbyn's quote interprets the word in a rather narrow way, in my opinion. 'Being tolerant' is the opposite of 'being intolerant'.
            If there’s anything I cannot stand it is intolerance!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

I'm sure every generation for the last few decades has thought a similar thing about the music young people think is cool, and what the older generation think it seems to be about is actually only a small part of what it's about to those who listen to it. In a wider sense, if we as people of a certain age want to understand the young, which is surely desirable, especially for those involved in educating them, dismissing their music isn't exactly a helpful step to take, is it?
              Some Rap I don’t have a problem with . With some I find the misogyny and celebration of knife crime pretty hard to take …
              Mind you I could say the same about Don Giovanni
              And quite a lot of Elizabethan / Jacobean revenge tragedy…

Comment

• ChandlersFord
                • Dec 2021

I seem to have a visceral reaction to rap: I just want to put as much distance between it and myself as quickly as I can.

Lots of millennials seem to feel the same way about ‘classical’ music.

At the other extreme stand Ed Sheeran and his ilk: music so impossibly bland that its appeal escapes me.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I seem to have a visceral reaction to rap: I just want to put as much distance between it and myself as quickly as I can.

At the other extreme stand Ed Sheeran and his ilk: music so impossibly bland that its appeal escapes me.
                  You realise, of course, that it's us that are the saddos (saddoes?) , though probably not as sad as if we were Millennial or Gen Z and didn't like it. At least we have classical music.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Welcome to the fourth decade of really bad pop music

Add minimalist monotony and extreme hipp and you have main components of music not listen to in the time I have left on this planet - optimistically a good while!

The good news is that I have the shelves of good stuff to listen to!

A happy saddo?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Welcome to the fourth decade of really bad pop music

Add minimalist monotony and extreme hipp and you have main components of music not listen to in the time I have left on this planet - optimistically a good while!

The good news is that I have the shelves of good stuff to listen to!

A happy saddo?
                      Ah, so you are a HIPPster. It's just that, for you, that history only goes back a few decades.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Ah, so you are a HIPPster. It's just that, for you, that history only goes back a few decades.
                        Bryn, I don’t understand your message - maybe my cold has befuddled me - please explain!

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Bryn, I don’t understand your message - maybe my cold has befuddled me - please explain!
                          A reference to your comment regarding the pop music of recent decades. It also seems to apply to your approach to other music, where the COWDUNG* of 20th-century performance practice appears to be your historical bag.

* "Conventional Wisdom of Dominant Group", cf Hal Waddington's "Tools for Thought".

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

maybe my cold has befuddled me - please explain!
                            Oh no! You know what cold symptoms mean at the moment?

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Oh no! You know what cold symptoms mean at the moment?
                              Flow test negative this morning - so far so good.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                                Some Rap I don’t have a problem with . With some I find the misogyny and celebration of knife crime pretty hard to take …
                                Mind you I could say the same about Don Giovanni
                                And quite a lot of Elizabethan / Jacobean revenge tragedy…
                                Not much knife crime or misogyny here..... but a great deal of inventive, exciting music making.....

The Hip-Hop genre is no longer the staunchly regulated boy’s club of the ’80s and early ’90s. The framework set in place by trailblazing artists like MC Lyte and Queen Latifah has…

Excellent essay too....

Just try staying in your chair when the bass kicks in on this one!
                                Music video by Nicki Minaj performing Starships (Explicit). Stream Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded (Deluxe Edition): https://nickiminaj.lnk.to/PinkFridayRRApple:...

Nicki really OWNS IT! Starships were meant to fly! Hands up and touch the sky!
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-12-21, 15:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X