Jennifer Vyvyan programme, Radio 4, Thursday 18th August, 11.30 a.m.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

Jennifer Vyvyan programme, Radio 4, Thursday 18th August, 11.30 a.m.

'Opening the Boxes: a Soprano's Secrets'

This half-hour programme on Radio 4 should be fascinating for those who are old enough to remember the wonderful Jennifer Vyvyan. Michael White describes the musical and personal insights found in items discovered after her death. There is also a website: www.jennifervyvyan.org

My own interest in singing was greatly intensified by hearing her sing in Messiah when I was fourteen.
    Last edited by Mary Chambers; 16-08-11, 20:52.
  • Roslynmuse
    • Jul 2011

Thanks for posting this, Mary. One of Britten's favoured collaborators, and superb in much else besides.

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

Yes, thanks very much. The only time I heard her live was in the 1972/3 Gloriana at ENO (and then again at the Proms), which was memorable for all sorts of reasons. She was a superlative Britten singer, but on the basis of records she was good at pretty much anything she took on. It'll be fascinating to hear the programme - the website is great fun to explore (including some nice BB letters that I don't think have been seen before).

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Thanks, Mary. I'd made a diary note and already the warm memories are rushing in.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Also on Platform 3

Comment

• jillfc

I've just managed to hear this via i-player; I wanted to hear it largely to hear more of that wonderful voice. I'm ashamed to say that I can't give an exact date, but around 1970 I was a member of the University of York Chamber Choir when we 'did' the B. Britten/I. Holst version of The Fairy Queen at the Harrogate Festival. Philip Ledger conducted; the London Sinfonietta (I'm pretty sure) was the orchestra, and if memory serves the soloists were Jennifer Vyvyan, Margaret Cable, James Bowman, Peter Pears and Owen Brannigan. (I can hear several members gasping.)

I remember thinking at the time that J Vyvyan's voice was as near perfection as I ever hoped to hear. I also seem to recall that shortly after her death, Radio 3 played her recording of Purcell's Halcyon Days. It had me in tears; remembering it still does.

Comment

Working...
            X