X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

A Tree Story

Martin Handley explores the provenance of the wood which makes a violin, and the processes from tree to instrument.

Sunday Feature tonight, 7 November, 1845 R3.
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Thanks kernelbogey, I'm thoroughly enjoying this fascinating programme - Martin Handley is excellent.

I wonder if they'll post a few photos?
    I'd love to see John Dilworth's workshop with partially completed cellos, violas & violins a-hanging.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Reminds one of the Brautigam Mozart Piano Concertos on BIS, where each individual issue showed all the stages of making a piano on the CD cover art...

The final issue of Nos 1-4 showed the beautiful complete fortepiano, in the middle of the forest from where the wood had come...

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Reminds one of the Brautigam Mozart Piano Concertos on BIS, where each individual issue showed all the stages of making a piano on the CD cover art...

The final issue of Nos 1-4 showed the beautiful complete fortepiano, in the middle of the forest from where the wood had come...
        I completely overlooked all of that.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          I completely overlooked all of that.
          Pay attention at the back there. The story of the Brautigam Mozart Piano Concerto cover images has been the topic of discussion here previously.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

I listened to the programme - which was quite interesting, but somehow left me wanting more, and I can't quite put my finger on what that would be. The idea of taking the violin back to the forest from which its wood had been harvested was an inspiring one, though.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              I listened to the programme - which was quite interesting, but somehow left me wanting more, and I can't quite put my finger on what that would be. The idea of taking the violin back to the forest from which its wood had been harvested was an inspiring one, though.
              Carved heads & scrolls? Surface finish, varnishing...?
              The cat? (What a horrible thought)
              I liked the materials science (of wood) & acoustics parts.

Bryn, is this the Brautigam cover discussion? (Or here?)
              Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              What, no Brautigam or Barenboim? I concur as regards Viviana Sofronitsky survey. Her set deserves to be much more widely known. It helped to have had her hubby knock her instrument together. A process illustrated on the covers of the individual releases of the Brautigan survey (he used instruments by the same builder).

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                . . . Bryn, is this the Brautigam cover discussion? (Or here?)
                Those are two of the posts but there are others from other contributors expressing appreciation for the idea of the series of illustrations.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Excellent prog.

Comment

Working...
                  X