X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Ralph Holmes.

Barbirollians posting about Ralph Holmes has got me thinking about this artist. Alas, I only heard him once when I was at school when he played the Mendelssohn concerto at an SNO ‘Proms’ concert. His recordings seem to be sparse and it’s always surprised me that the recording companies haven’t re-issued his discs.

Does anyone know more?

Thanks
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

He died very young of a brain tumour in 1984 I think . He played at the Proms when only 19 in 1956 and played every year there until a ten year gap. Everything I have heard of his recording has been very fine. I wish a recording of the Beethoven concerto would emerge.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

I heard him just once, in the world premiere of Richard Rodney Bennett's Violin Concerto at Birmingham Town Hall with the CBSO and Louis Fremaux in 1975.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

He also made three delightful CDs of the Beethoven and Hummel violin sonatas with fortepianist Richard Burnett at the latter's Finchcocks museum of early keyboard instruments. Still available on the Amon Ra label

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

I have a lovely Chandos set of Harty orchestral music in which Ralph Holmes plays the violin concerto and variations on a Dublin Air
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

His recording of the Delius Violin Concerto with Handley is much the best to my ears.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              His recording of the Delius Violin Concerto with Handley is much the best to my ears.
              I have the Delius VC in a download collection - can’t remember where I got it from - it also has Ralph playing the Legende and the Violin Sonatas with the Piano part played by no less a Delian than Eric Fenby.

I think Unicorn was the source of the recordings but it is the Delius Collection on the Heritage label - 8 hours of music available as a download for £8 as an mp3 from Presto or if you want posher flac at £9.75.

Comment

• mikealdren
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                I have the Delius VC in a download collection - can’t remember where I got it from - it also has Ralph playing the Legende and the Violin Sonatas with the Piano part played by no less a Delian than Eric Fenby.

I think Unicorn was the source of the recordings but it is the Delius Collection on the Heritage label - 8 hours of music available as a download for £8 as an mp3 from Presto or if you want posher flac at £9.75.
                Many thanks, downloaded. I have the Sammons and Little versions of the VC so I'll do a comparison this week.

Comment

Working...
                X