X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Paddy Moloney (1938-2021)

Erstwhile leader of The Chieftens has died.

RIP, Paddy and thanks for the music.
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Sorry, autocorrect kicked in. Paddy Moloney.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      Erstwhile leader of The Chieftens has died.

RIP, Paddy and thanks for the music.
      Sad loss, indeed. I interviewed him, along with the other Chieftains, in the Green Room after a concert they gave in the RFH, back in the early 1980s. He and the late Derek Bell were full of stories of their exploits. Such open, warm musicians. I also fondly recall Paddy's meeting with Frank Zappa on Radio 4's Midweek programme and their subsequent jamming session with a Tuvan throat singer in Zappa's basement studio. Happy memories.
      Last edited by Bryn; 12-10-21, 19:21. Reason: Typos

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

I’m watching the James Galway and The Chieftains film on YouTube. Just terrific.

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Another era ended. Paddy Moloney certainly brought Irish music to world attention, but more to the point he and The Chieftains taught me to listen to music I largely took for granted, and Derek Bell brought Carolan alive to my ear. So, here is Carolan's Concerto from the early days. Sadly, the whole front line on that sleeve is now gone. Along with legendary whistle player Sean Potts.

Provided to YouTube by RCA Victor/LegacyCarolan's Concerto · The ChieftainsThe Essential Chieftains℗ 1992 BMG MusicReleased on: 2006-02-16Composer: Tradition...
          Last edited by Padraig; 12-10-21, 20:36.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

I notice the President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins, has been leading the tributes saaying that 'Paddy was at the forefront of the renaissance of interest in Irish music, bringing a greater appreciation of Irish music and culture internationally.'

For me, I'll always welcome seeing them play with Van on the Esplanade of Edinburgh Castle on a right rainy night. Their record 'Irish Heartbeat' is still a great favourite record in this house.
            Here's Van, Paddy and the boys on 'Raglan Road'.

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

John, you'll have to watch this for the craic and the music. Do you remember your Tonic Solfa?

The Late Late Show | RTÉ ONE | 9.35pmFor more visit www.rte.ie/player and http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/Ryan Tubridy chats to Irish music legends John Sheeha...

Comment

Working...
              X