• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Unusual repertoire

I went to a wonderful concert last night given by The Eblana String Trio with Emma Halman (Flute), she being the wind category finalist in BBC Young Musician 2010. In addition to their tutti items, there were two pieces which I'd not heard before. One was Finzi's Prelude and Fugue for string trio. Harmonic language very recognizable as Finzi, but perhaps pushed to extremes. Why not heard more often? The other was Jet Whistle for flute and cello by Villa Lobos. It required enormous dexterity from both players, the cellist having almost continuous double- and triple-stopping.

A great night out.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

I was listening to the Hindemith Flute Sonata a few days ago and wondered the same thing

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      I went to a wonderful concert last night given by The Eblana String Trio with Emma Halman (Flute), she being the wind category finalist in BBC Young Musician 2010. In addition to their tutti items, there were two pieces which I'd not heard before. One was Finzi's Prelude and Fugue for string trio. Harmonic language very recognizable as Finzi, but perhaps pushed to extremes. Why not heard more often? The other was Jet Whistle for flute and cello by Villa Lobos. It required enormous dexterity from both players, the cellist having almost continuous double- and triple-stopping.

A great night out.
      https://www.facebook.com/BBCPhilharm...1131697912623/

공연일시 : 2019.11.08Seoul International Music FestivalSIMF Curtis on Tour 'On a Sunny Day'Seoul Arts Center IBK Chamber HallVilla-Lobos /Jet Whistle (flute & ce...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

A great night out.
        Might be worth a punt at £10.99?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

That CD was on sale after the concert. But we have to limit the sheer number of CDs on our shelves! Also the concert will live quite happily in my head for a while. But thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

That CD was on sale after the concert.
            Of course it was

I was just intrigued to follow up your comments.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I heard the Eblanas pre-Covid playing the Finzi and the Moeran, that time with an oboist in support for the Mozart quartet. Their CD wasn't out then or I'd have snapped it up!
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
              X