X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Eileen Farrell - Wagner

I really liked the excerpt of Tristan played on R3 a few minutes ago - the Nicky Spence program.

However I don't like the use of "famous arias" used as show pieces, which seems so common.

As in this video - https://youtu.be/1TS1Yi80H-s

It's not terrible, but out of context of the opera it just doesn't have the same effect. In fact it's a total nonsense.
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I really liked the excerpt of Tristan played on R3 a few minutes ago - the Nicky Spence program.

However I don't like the use of "famous arias" used as show pieces, which seems so common.

As in this video - https://youtu.be/1TS1Yi80H-s

It's not terrible, but out of context of the opera it just doesn't have the same effect. In fact it's a total nonsense.
    I listened to the excerpt thinking “really beautiful singing who is it ? “.Not Margaret Price , not Jessye Norman , def not Flagstad , Dernesch, or Nilsson …really wracking my brains . Then the weird seque into the Broadway number and I twigged it was the same singer . I also thought the orchestra playing was very fine. What a conductor Munch was ..one of the all time greats

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      What a conductor Munch was ..one of the all time greats

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
        I listened to the excerpt thinking “really beautiful singing who is it ? “.Not Margaret Price , not Jessye Norman , def not Flagstad , Dernesch, or Nilsson …really wracking my brains . Then the weird seque into the Broadway number and I twigged it was the same singer . I also thought the orchestra playing was very fine. What a conductor Munch was ..one of the all time greats
        I didn’t hear the programmmme, but I do have a Decca Phase 4 CD of Eileen Farrell, in which she sounds somewhat larger than life, so it will be good to hear her voice more tastefully recorded.

Comment

Working...
        X