• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Leeds International Piano Competition

Semi-Finals starting this evening at 7pm
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • Braunschlag
    • Jul 2017

Thanks for the reminder - I’ve skimmed through the earlier rounds and managed most of tonight’s offerings.
    Impressed by Adam Kelly, good posture, no silly aerobics and he nearly convinced me that the Dante Sonata is a good piece (it has its moments I suppose).
    Decent presentation with Kathryn Stott and Petroc T, we should be thankful to have a pianist to bring some kudos to the links and commentaries.
    The jury is a mixed bag though, pianists seem outnumbered by administrators, agents and conductors - maybe that’s how it is now.
    Looking forward to more later and Medici make a very decent job of it all, no thanks to the BBC……

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Yes I watched and was impressed...very impressed...by Kelly. (Thomas Kelly?) Medici presentation good (not cringeworthy at all). Sound good on my PC, maybe pictures less clear. It must be a difficult task to judge contestants over a spread-out period. Was chamber music accompaniment a feature last year? I can't remember. Good idea though.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        Yes I watched and was impressed...very impressed...by Kelly. (Thomas Kelly?) Medici presentation good (not cringeworthy at all). Sound good on my PC, maybe pictures less clear. It must be a difficult task to judge contestants over a spread-out period. Was chamber music accompaniment a feature last year? I can't remember. Good idea though.
        I think there’s always been a chamber element to the contest . One of the things that makes it so demanding …

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Friday, 17th September at 7:00 p.m.

Pianists from across the world have made their way to Yorkshire to claim the coveted first prize of 'The Leeds' and Andrew McGregor and Katya Apekisheva are live at the Leeds Town Hall for the first of two nights of concerto finals. We hear performances of some of the best-loved piano concertos from the first three of the chosen five 2021 finalists, with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Andrew Manze.

As well as introductions, interviews and comment, Andrew and Katya also look back on some of the highlights from the competition so far and at some of the ways in which the competition has reached out to the people of Leeds.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Leeds Piano Competition

I can’t find a thread for this so I’m starting yes a CLASSICAL MUSIC thread.
            I predicted on another strand ( the Proms Schumann Concerto one );a Beethoven 4 and a Rachmaninov Rhapsody as finalists and also that no one would pick the Schumann- rated by a concert pianist friend of Nick Armstrong’s as the most difficult of all - right so far ! However some one has plumped for Brahms 2 - very brave , very risky and it should come with gymnast , diving style higher technical ratings .

Comment

• Beresford
              • Apr 2012

Does anyone know how long the replays on medici.tv, of all the contestants, are available?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

Oh there is a thread on this -not only that but I’ve already posted ! I can only put my amnesia down to the fact that I’ve been doing my first freelance work for 18 months and it is forcing the brain into overload.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                  Oh there is a thread on this -not only that but I’ve already posted ! I can only put my amnesia down to the fact that I’ve been doing my first freelance work for 18 months and it is forcing the brain into overload.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Oh there is a thread on this -not only that but I’ve already posted !
                    I’m glad it’s not just me who does that!

Is there any sign of this turning up on BBC television, or are those days dead and gone…?
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      If you would like to merge my thoughts on the thread I erroneously started please feel free !
                      So far preferred Rach to the Beethoven but as I’m listening to it on a telly in a caravan in Cornwall I’m probably not in a position to comment . I am looking forward to Tom Kelly’s Beethoven 4 - I’ve heard good things about him .

[Done, now #6 - ff]
                      Last edited by french frank; 17-09-21, 21:03.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                        I’m glad it’s not just me who does that!

Is there any sign of this turning up on BBC television, or are those days dead and gone…?
                        Yes I was stung into action by the “ whatever to classical music threads “ thread
                        Re Telly Not so far as I can see, . Been through next week on both two and four and can’t find anything .

Comment

• Braunschlag
                          • Jul 2017

If you would like to merge my thoughts on the thread I erroneously started please feel free !
                          So far preferred Rach to the Beethoven but as I’m listening to it on a telly in a caravan in Cornwall I’m probably not in a position to comment . I am looking forward to Tom Kelly’s Beethoven 4 - I’ve heard good things about him .
                          Me too but that Rach Pag - he really went for it, very impressed

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
                            Not, maybe, the most secure of fingerwork at times but my favourite of the Beethoven cadenzas for the first movement.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
                              That’s you and me vs. the commentator , a former finalist , who was pretty unenthusiastic.I thought it highly virtuosic and well characterised. Perhaps some eccentric phrasing in the 18th but the music perhaps invites it.

Comment

Working...
                              X