X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muzzer
    • Nov 2013

Nanci Griffith 1953-2021

Only 68. Understated and undervalued in the way of all great country singer songwriters, Possibly not of massive interest to R3 boarders, but this is a marvellously broad church, for which I am regularly grateful.
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
    Only 68. Understated and undervalued in the way of all great country singer songwriters, Possibly not of massive interest to R3 boarders, but this is a marvellously broad church, for which I am regularly grateful.
    Very sad to hear this news, muzzer. She was a fine singer, particularly the record she made interpreting other people's songs. I particularly love her version of Dylan's 'Boots of Spanish Leather'. Here she is from 'Transatlantic Sessions' a while back, with Jerry Douglas and Danny Thompson in attendance.
    Nanci's lovely version of this Bob Dylan song.Nanci Griffith - Vocals and GuitarJerry Douglas - DobroDonald Shaw - Piano AccordionDanny Thompson - Double Ba...

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Thanks for that, John. I agree with muzzer's general point about Country. Without being artist specific I admire the talent and skill of Country musicians, and indeed of Folk and Popular musicians. I wish I could attain to those qualities myself having good experience of both witnessing and playing with top class musicians working in that non-classical arena.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

A lovely voice and probably really undervalued over her career. A description which matches other quality female country singers -eg Emmylou Harris and Alison Krauss. She really is gone too soon. RIP Nanci

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

This evening on the Country Show on BBC Radio 3's sister station, Bob Harris goes back to the archive for a personal tribute to his friend Nanci Griffith. The Radio 2 blurb says you'll hear vintage interviews and session tracks with and from this iconic and influential artist.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            This evening on the Country Show on BBC Radio 3's sister station, Bob Harris goes back to the archive for a personal tribute to his friend Nanci Griffith. The Radio 2 blurb says you'll hear vintage interviews and session tracks with and from this iconic and influential artist.
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ytw5
            Thanks jc

Comment

• muzzer
              • Nov 2013

Thank you JC

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ytw5
                It was a fine tribute to Nanci. It took up most of the second half of the programme - she had some fine tunes indeed, and Bob was clearly a big fan of the artist, and the person.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Here's one of those classy Texan story songs from Nancy - 'Love at the Five and Dime' - great bit of footage of her.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Here's one of those classy Texan story songs from Nancy - 'Love at the Five and Dime' - great bit of footage of her.

Listening now on Sounds - good voice - hear every word - good songs that tell a story - a real loss. Not listenedvto Bob for a while I used to love his long late Saturday night programme in the years when R2 cared about the music they played!

Comment

Working...
                    X